Single Handed Flywheel Removal

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: Single Handed Flywheel Removal

Post by headdownarseup »

now you can understand the importance of gathering the right kind of spare parts , sacrificial or otherwise.

i currently have half a dozen or so VERY FLATTENED flywheel nuts just for this very purpose.
the ones in better condition get refitted when the hammers get put away! :lol:

jon
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

SD puller on the right. No point hitting it or a nut for these. As I indicated two wheels wound off with the puller and a thwack with a rubber mallet on the side of the wheel. There is very little taper and the shaft is slim.
29102010019.jpg
This is the one that will not come off.
08122014086.jpg
Hey Hugo!

Can see piston now........................Jon will be proud of me and the hammer as "It is TIME" :lol:
08122014088.jpg
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I designed those extractors Bruce, on really tight flywheels after a couple of weeks liberal application of good penetrating oil, wind down the center screw fairly tight, so it's under a decent load (quiet a bit less than it takes to strip the thread) & give the top of the caphead screw a sharp tap with a light hammer.

The shock seems to do the trick.

This hasn't failed me yet.

The thread on the extractor is designed to fail before the flywheel thread is wrecked, as you can always get a new extractor!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"The thread on the extractor is designed to fail before the flywheel thread is wrecked, as you can always get a new extractor!"

Yes Charles not a problem really...................is actually 8)

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

headdownarseup wrote:The idea of making sure the piston is at BDC (furthest away from the spark plug) is that you minimise the risk of bending or distorting the crankshaft out of shape whilst hitting downwards on the flywheel nut. (all in the manual, get one if you dont already have one)

But bigend is always same distance from piston whatever piston position so how is it better supported?

jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

NIANDER
Still trying (like you) to understand the relevance about the position of the piston when removing the flywheel.
I just go by what it says in the manual? :D

JON
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

BRUCE
I can almost picture you getting out a suitable sized hammer and possibly a chisel as well on that "crusty block"
If you can get the block to crack straight down the length of the cylinder it will make things a bit easier.The toughest part is around the exhaust port and the tank mounts.

BASH AWAY :shock: (but dont get too carried away with it) i've done this before on another block and ended up squishing the piston skirt a bit out of shape.
CAUTION you have been warned

i'm just surprised you hadn't done it sooner! :D
(what's the worst that can happen?)

enjoy

jon