An Introduction ...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Jim bow

An Introduction ...

Post by Jim bow »

Hello all, this is my first post.
My name is Jim Bowman. I live in Tacoma Washington, just 40 miles south of the lesser city of Starbucks, er ... I mean Seattle.
I have retired from the workforce, in which I once connected computers together via wires and radio. I worked for our 911 (999) system. Very rewarding work but after 4 years of not doing it I returned for a visit and realized that I didn't understand a thing they were talking about. The Cloud? Social Media Access??
Upon retiring I filled my time, and my garage, with Jeeps and a truck. 45 Ford jeep, 47 Willy's jeep, 59 Chevrolet truck. Great fun was had by all. Until the grand child was born. We moved to Tacoma to be close to the little guy, and in doing so I lost my huge garage. I sold the vehicles off , and started looking for smaller motors to twiddle. My wife said a resounding "NO!" to my suggestion that a motorcycle would be fun.
So, I turned to wood. I bought plans for an 11 foot pram, and while waiting for them to arrive I noodled around Craigslist and found a picture of a British Seagull. I can't afford a TR3, and LR Defenders are selling here for $30 - $40K, so this was the only piece of British internal combustion I could get my hands on.
I snapped it up.
So now, all I have to do is build a boat, and restore a motor.

My first question to you, the forumites: The tank is brass, with most of the paint missing. Should I clean and polish the brass, or should I repaint it black?
Brass sure is pretty.
Thanks all!
Keith.P

Re: An Introduction ...

Post by Keith.P »

welcome.
What you do with the motor is up to you, what model motor it is may help with the answer.
If its a later model, the tank is about the only part you could polish, an older model may have more options.
Most parts are available to a point, again depending on the model, so a full restoration is possible and well worth doing.
Jim bow

Post by Jim bow »

Thanks, Keith.
The motor is from the early 70s, and I intend to use it for fishing local fresh water lakes.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The thing is, later motors have painted aluminium parts so they last and older motors had polished aluminium parts, a different type of aluminium, as I say its up to you, have a look about at other restorations on the net, you may see something you like.
You could even do it red white and blue, but I think it has already done lately.
weddigen

Post by weddigen »

Hi Jim and welcome to the addictive world of the Seagull motor-you have one now-just wait!For any relevant advice you would need to post the Engine number
(on the crankcase under the dirt) and perhaps a few photos.There are several different model types. :)
weddigen

Post by weddigen »

Hi Jim and welcome to the addictive world of the Seagull motor-you have one now-just wait!For any relevant advice you would need to post the Engine number
(on the crankcase under the dirt) and perhaps a few photos.There are several different model types. :)
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

We all love pics by the way.

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Jim bow

Post by Jim bow »

FP1575 KK4. According to Mr. Williams it's a 1974 Forty Plus.
I should put my next query in the "Help" forum.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Hi Jim,

I have a 1979 Forty Plus myself.... a clutch model !....I live across the Narrows Bridge from you, on Key Peninsula.....still active in the workforce, and not much time on fun stuff......but in 3.5 years all I will be doing is having fun and no work!! :-)
Just got the tank off and looking for place to have it cleaned inside. Would love to share local sources for our little motors...when I have a source :-) So far I can't find anything in the area......
Welcome to the forum!

Wojo
Attachments
Seagull no gas tank.jpg
Jim bow

Post by Jim bow »

My tank is pretty clean.
Once had an old Honda 400f motorcycle with a gooped up and rusty tank. A biker friend suggested I take it to a local radiator shop. They dipped it in some sort of hot bath and it really came out nice.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Happy New Year Jim!
How is boat building coming?? I started working on my Seagull again - as spring is on it's way :-)
here is a boat that I want to use the motor on ...... a Glen L15 sailboat. Can be used as a sailboat, motorboat and rowing is a possibility.
Take care
Attachments
wash.jpg