102 advice please (WC 385 R6)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1650bullet

Re: 102 advice please (WC 385 R6)

Post by 1650bullet »

Just curious, But can you take a pic of your transom clamp like the one ive posted up. I just want to have a look at something
Attachments
British Seagull 342.jpg
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

david doyle wrote:Rob,

One thing you can do to improve the moutning arrangement, and I encourage this big time, is to trace the transom mount (outboard side) onto that plank. once traced take a chisel and hammer and create a slight inlet. This will gaurentee that the mount wont kick off laterally with out needing to tourque the hell out of the bolts.

Strictly from a pride of ownership persepctive the corners of the mount demand a radius! trace a nice boaty shape on there rough it out and the round nicely with a rasp/sand paper. Paint?

Hope you catch lots of fish!

You should have to slots cut into the bottom of the transom mount, You can then use a couple of screws to hold it in place. I would not go chiseling away on the back of a transom :shock: .You can easily fill in the 2 screw holes if need be.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

1650bullet wrote:Just curious, But can you take a pic of your transom clamp like the one ive posted up. I just want to have a look at something
Picture as requested :D
Attachments
20130810_054413.jpg
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

i have marked the areas in different colour to explain a couple of things.

The red circled brass nut can be removed so you can adjust your trim angle to suit your boat.
The green circled slot thats on each side of the lower tramson bracket is so you can put a couple of screws to secure it without chiseling the back of your tramson out and possibly doing more harm then good.

The yellow circle shows that you have a captive washer missing. You need to have a good pair of washers so the transom clamp can be secured properly. You can buy a couple of matching washers from the SOS spare parts section on this site.

The pink area thats been scribbled. That looks like a piece of timber that needs to come out. Thats not supposed to be there. Thats what the red circle is for. (To adjust the trim angle
Attachments
20130810_054413.jpg
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

1650bullet wrote:i have marked the areas in different colour to explain a couple of things.

The red circled brass nut can be removed so you can adjust your trim angle to suit your boat.
The green circled slot thats on each side of the lower tramson bracket is so you can put a couple of screws to secure it without chiseling the back of your tramson out and possibly doing more harm then good.

The yellow circle shows that you have a captive washer missing. You need to have a good pair of washers so the transom clamp can be secured properly. You can buy a couple of matching washers from the SOS spare parts section on this site.

The pink area thats been scribbled. That looks like a piece of timber that needs to come out. Thats not supposed to be there. Thats what the red circle is for. (To adjust the trim angle
Thats very helpful, thank you, I have the captive washer, it had fallen off in the shed.The pink area is foam, so will remove that, previous owner had fitted it and i thought it was just support for engine and to reduce vibration.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

The red one can be removed and put into 1 of the other 3 holes to move white leg support?
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

You should have to slots cut into the bottom of the transom mount, You can then use a couple of screws to hold it in place. I would not go chiseling away on the back of a transom :shock: .You can easily fill in the 2 screw holes if need be.
No I should not have. I have twin 40s mounted onto thier own dedicated transom 'pads' these pads are glued onto the transom with epoxy and glass. The Inletting is made thru the glass on the pads but the boats transom is in no way shape or form injured/weakened/degraded or traumitized. Same situation for Rob's boat, working on the transom extension aint gonna hurt his boat. Even if I was working on the structural transom I would still rather an epoxied sealed inlet then a 'screw' driven into the boat any day.

I simply will never, ever, under any duress "screw" something onto a wood boat. Bad advice sir. :wink:
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

20130821_012612.jpg
I used a jubliee clip to move engine up and it worked a treat, have taken it on 2 fishing trips, last night we set up a mile off the beach and caught this little beauty!

Engine work great, the only thing is the metal plate under the flywheel is loose, how do i tighten it please?
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Tighten what looks like a old car square brake adjuster or a slotted screw. May need a tap with a blunt object first. Most weld a larger piece on first or very carefully heat.
Can be a bit of a bugger.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Glad to here it worked well for you. What type of fish is that :?: . As for your base plate being loose, you should have a screw like the one ive posted up on a pic for you (Red circle) My ignition system is a villiers as for yours is a wipac. But im sure youve got the idea off were the screw should be.Give it a tighten using a decent screwdriver to suit. Once you have done that, Remove the screw if you can and smear some grease around the threads and refit it. The grease will prevent any rust and then you will have a problem in the future.
Attachments
102 seagull base plate locking screw.JPG
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Thank you, i did have a quick look at that screw and it appeared to be tight, will investigate further.

The fish is a Bass, the two of us caught 15 fishing in total over 6 hours, kept the Bass and two Wrass to eat and let rest go.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

1650bullet wrote:i have marked the areas in different colour to explain a couple of things.

The red circled area on mine only has a nut on that side and a thread on the other, the nut will turn but not the bolt does not so i am unable to move forward and take off foam piece, any ideas how to remove please?
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

robhc1000 wrote:

The red circled area on mine only has a nut on that side and a thread on the other, the nut will turn but not the bolt does not so i am unable to move forward and take off foam piece, any ideas how to remove please?
Is it possible to post up another pic, and show us what you mean :?:

This is what a bass looks like in Oz. A bit different to yours, thats why i had to ask. differences around the globe.
Attachments
bass-mat-fly.jpg
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Thats a very nice fish!

Pictures of bracket
Attachments
20130822_080722.jpg
20130822_080733.jpg
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

You already have one nut removed. Can you turn the other end with a spanner. If so its loose enough to use a hammer and center punch to push out from one end. Use heaps of WD-40 and give everything a fair soak. Use lite taps only as it should just fall out, You could even try turn the nutted end with a spanner and push against the threaded end with your thumb. It should just come out that easy. If not. the brass thread is rusted in there. Heaps of WD-40 and some time will loosen everything up until it does come loose. When you refit it, Use heaps of marine grease so it will never happen again. If its real bad you could just use a hacksaw to cut the thread out and use a suitable length stainless steel nut and bolt with grease.

Ps; I opened you pic up and had a good look at the thread. It looks siezed in there, see how you go. If you have an oxy, heat will get it out.