Introducing myself; Shearwater

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Shearwater

Introducing myself; Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

Hi, I'm new to the Seagull world. That is to say: we, my parents and I had a Seagull behind our sailing boat in the fifties which was sold when I was still a child. Since then I always enjoyed these old outboard engines when I saw one though I had no boat since then. Two weeks ago I came across a nice Forty Minus (SJM 10337) + an incomplete FV for spares for a nice price: everything is there, looks nice, tank with no dents but it hasn't run for almost 7 years. Couldn't withstand this temptation. So I now have a new project: bringing this gem to life again. A quick inspection learned that everything of it has to be cleaned, new gaskets, maybe a few new parts, lubrication, some polishing before I can let it run again. No risks. The next step will be a small boat that suits my Seagull.
I have no experience with outboard engine repair and restoration, but a some with cars, British motorcycles and mopeds. I expect that I will have some questions in the future. By the way: I'm from the Netherlands.
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Introducing myself; Shearwater

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hi Welcome to the forum, there are few members from the Netherlands, I am sure they can help if you have any problems.

Post some pictures of your engines so we can see what you have got.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome to the forum, as H-A says, we like lots of photos, plus it makes it a lot easier to assist when we know which engine you have :D I also have an FV which I fully stripped and restored. Great little engine!
Jan

Post by Jan »

Welcome Shearwater,
So you bought the SJM and FV parts motor for sale on the Dutch 'Marketplace' site.
The FV parts motor was very interesting for me and Bruce will be jealous.

If you need any information or parts let me know.

Jan
PatLNR

Post by PatLNR »

Welcome Shearwater.
This forum is wealth of information , like you I'm a novice in the restoration of old Seagull.
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

After my first post I was away from the forum for quite a while but still in the Seagull world. It appeared to me that the 40 minus was not exactly what I need but I swapped it for a nice 40 Plus longshaft (SJP). The FV parts were in poor condition and far from complete and I included them in the swap. The new owner is quite happy with them. So I'm now the owner of a nice running 40 Plus. It needs only a little bit of TLC to get its looks perfect. I'm thinking of polishing the exhaust back to bare brass. I think a brass exhaust is awesome.
I still don't have a boat, but after I finished the enlargement of my garage I might start to build my own classic wooden boat of about 14 feet. A classic outboard deserves a classic boat don't you think? For the time being I will get myself a cheap second, third or forth hand rowing boat.
I will post a few pictures soon.
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

My Forty plus Longshaft
ImageImage
Did the exhaust today
Last edited by Shearwater on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Welcome and a great motor as well.

You will have lots of good times here on S.O.S.

Addiction starts with your first post aye!

8)

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

A very tidy little motor that you have there. 8)