OA 262 Gearbox

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

OA 262 Gearbox

Post by Collector Inspector »

Well,actually, this may come as a bit of Angst from others.

The gearbox has been pulled down and found to be ok re gears and pinion shaft bush etc.

Funny thing is I asked the Old Chap in Collie to "Make it reliable"?

He has done that............No pics yet...........he made a completely different propshaft and water pump assembly.

Nose cone is kinda similar and I do not as yet know what the pump is.

OK, It is NOT original but will WORK on a transom for maybe the next 80 years or so.

What pics I have so far?......................Very long propshaft and lots of Bronze extra bitsI have not made sense of it yet.

Ahh, I will post soon.

I can just imagine the Register going into "WTF"................basically,the Old Man will be absolutely reliable on a transom..........different bits will be underwater anyway?

Why have one awaiting someone saying "Yes You Can Use It"..............Bugger Them I say!

Downunder keeping Old Men Going!

Sorry Charles..............this great for my Old Man Downunder.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
1650bullet

Re: OA 262 Gearbox

Post by 1650bullet »

Its todays technology that makes things more reliable and as you said , Last another 80 odd years. Clive Palmer is building the titanic 2 with modern ship building technology. Diesel engines instead of steam--Bulkheads that go all the way to the top instead of half way--Welded toghether instead of rivets. Still looks the same as the original. But better built so it shouldnt sink next time it goes and hits an ice-berg. :lol:
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Interesting..

Pictures would be nice, just to see how he's got it all working again.
Collector Inspector

OK

The original impeller is retained but there is now a Brass nose cone housing. The pics below show it with the lathe stub still on the front. It still requires "An Original Profile" machined.

The prop shaft is new and the gear will be keyed to the shaft soon. A shim will be made. Prop shaft probably larger diameter.

Drive shaft bushes...........not sure what he has done yet but will be fine at the end of the day. Probably to suit new shaft.

He has bushed the prop. Probably to take the new shaft.

Made a new nut for it with a close enough profile I think.

Pinion shaft and guides are perfect so stay as is.

Cunning old sod has done some cut and shut internally bringing everything closer together inside by the look of it?

The pics are all I have so far so not necessarily current.

B
Attachments
04112012111.jpg
10112012114.jpg
10112012112.jpg
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks good work Bruce.

I personally would have made an ali nose cone, or even better birmabright.

Why did he choose brass?

H-A
Collector Inspector

"Why did he choose brass?"

Absolutely no idea at this stage Mate! Probably what he had to use maybe or the thread land got longer into the casting?

He was rather more verbal about making a jig/fitment initially for the thing. I just copied and exploded the parts diagram, packed the thing up, sent to him.........and said "Help".

I owe a carton of Scotch (By expletives) just for the jiggy wiggy by the look see..............rest is free but.

Well, we will work it out I am sure. It will be useable, just a different colour?

Known him all my life so maybe we can forget the carton :lol:

B
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

What a shedload of work!

Given that you said the bushes were OK what was wrong with it in the first place?

What shape prop nut have you?
Collector Inspector

Someone is not reading everything I think.

Charles, please revisit the whole story?

I mean, from the beginning?

I have been descriptive along the way. Some of your replies other post and this one for 262 have been a bit odd. You OK?

Shed load of work (Whatever that means) to get the Old Man reliable, not an issue. Whatever needs will be.

It is really not that hard yards, just an old gearbox that can be brought back to scratch.

How long, really, has the Register been faffing about with a gearbox? They are not that hard?

You should try rebuilding some from Sweden! Now that is hard work!

We just get on with it down here.

B
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Just possibly you're mixing me up with the other Charles - he is definitely odd, and in some ways definitely not OK. We're not remotely similar, apart from the fact that the barmaids in my local think he's my dad.

Genuine questions. I was interested in the prop nut because the one in the photo isn't distinct. I know what shape it was before you got it because I'm quite familiar with this particular motor.

You did say earlier that the propshaft was bent but would be OK, so I was really wondering if other damage had been discovered that necessitated a new shaft - or is the new one oversize with bored bushes?

The other Charles and a couple of others have indeed been playing with gearboxes for some time. I know that their aim is to evolve a method of bringing dead boxes back to life in as authentic a manner as possible, most probably by re-sleeving the bushes (so the original shaft may be retained), possibly sleeving the casing where the thread often deteriorates (difficult with such thin walls) and making up a small batch of Birmabright front caps. All this takes time, because to bring it back as original as possible is a lengthy undertaking.

He has prop nuts available of the correct shape.

I'm sorry if you think my questions odd, I have reviewed them and I can't see why.

H-A has asked the other question that immediately comes to mind, but I guess it's better if I just don't go there.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Good Work. Im sure you will come to some sought of a compromise with the stub on the end of the nose cone. If i had it i would just machine it flat, After all its only a seagull and not a ski-race motor. Looks like its machined up for easy user freindly maintanance as well.

P-S Unusual drill set. You seem to have a complete set and nothing missing or broken :lol:
Collector Inspector

Latest photo.

Basically finished.

I see no reason to complain asthetics as it will work very nicely. Mr Chadwick says it will and I believe Him.

Cheers

B
Attachments
13112012115.jpg
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Well done very nice job. Good to see this engine is been built to use. Not another wheely bin queen. I would love to get one of these outboards for racing. I reckon some of these earlier designs have a lot of potential. Particularly the exhaust, cylinder barrel and gearbox/ exhaust housing.
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

The southern lot are very radical :shock:
Collector Inspector

Side on view.

Propshaft length to be done yet.

Also it now has positive lubrication in that lube holes have been drilled in thrust and stern tube bearings. Originally there were none. Possible reason why this particular box flogged out?

No shims as drive shaft a one off, keyed wheel etc.

It will have Semi Fluid Grease. Penrite NGI-00 . Drop Point 105 degC, Operating range 0.80 degC and thickener is Polymer.

I will have it in my hands in Manjimup, 30th of November.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/

B
Attachments
13112012117.jpg
13112012116.jpg
Last edited by Collector Inspector on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector Inspector

The Tinker wrote:Well done very nice job. Good to see this engine is been built to use. Not another wheely bin queen. I would love to get one of these outboards for racing. I reckon some of these earlier designs have a lot of potential. Particularly the exhaust, cylinder barrel and gearbox/ exhaust housing.

Thanks Tink!

I rather think that racing it would be somewhat of a mismatch?

Is so small and delicate, better than rowing is the terminology I think.. :lol:

The last thing to do is resize the big end con-rod slash crank-shaft as I stated earlier.

Something to twiddle while watching television................gets somewhat tedious but in this case I do not mind a bit!

B