Australian Seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1650bullet

Australian Seagull

Post by 1650bullet »

Hello all" I was given an old seagull and have posted up some pics of it. Could anyone tell me what model and Hp it is please.I have had it running, but there was no water flowing out of the tell tale beneath the cyl head. My goal is to get all the needed parts to have it running good, and then to strip it down and repaint and polish it up, Any sought of advice would be greatly aprieciated.
british seagull and i-phone 006.jpg
Attachments
british seagull and i-phone 008.jpg
british seagull and i-phone 007.jpg
bychance

Re: Australian Seagull

Post by bychance »

Using the Engine number identifier on the SOS website, it comes up as a January 1971 Forty Plus.

Where in Oz are you?
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

I live in Brisbane Qld. My uncle has the original crate that it came in, As for parts, Where is a good place to get them, Is there anything here in australia, or do i order from the online store.
bychance

Post by bychance »

If you go to the wanted pages on the forum, you may get an answer to your needs. I have only bought a few parts from John at SOS; the prices are good and the service is excellent. The main SOS site has a Buy spare parts section.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Thanks bychance". I will keep posting up on this thread as i go along with this little adventure. I had a look on the Id setion and seen what you said. Didnt think it was a 3hp engine. Anyway these are the parts that i need to have it running good. I will make the purchase of the forum here.

Prop spring kit
Spark Plug
Fuel line and tap kit
Gearbox Plug
2x thumb screws with captive washers
Fuel cap
Starter cord
Throttle cable
I still have the original villiers throttle lever, But im thinking of using a throttle tube assembly of a motorcycle that fits the tiller tube handle. It has an adjustable throttle stop,and is setup to take a bullet style throttle cable. Dont know if anyone has tried this before, but i will have a go at it.

One more thing. Do i have to use the gearoil as said SAE 90. Or can i use another type of oil.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

The motor cycle throttle has a spring return. If you take your hand off it will return to stop. Very difficult to start a seagull when that happens as you need three hands.
The seagull lever stays in postion and lets you hold the seagull and pull the cord.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
bychance

Post by bychance »

Skyetoyman is correct; I think it will be difficult to use a twist grip on a Seagull as you need about three quarter throttle to start it. Using a standard throttle lever lets you leave the throttle in one spot, good for cruising as well.

Parts:
Prop spring kit - get it from SOS
Spark Plug - get it from Repco
Fuel line and tap kit - SOS
Gearbox Plug - SOS
2x thumb screws with captive washers - SOS
Fuel cap - SOS
Starter cord - make your own from some 5 or 6mm rope and something to hold onto or get one ready made from SOS.
Throttle cable - SOS

If you do one big order from John you will save time and money rather than trying to track all this stuff down in Australia. (I hope this doesn't read like a SOS advert, but this is what I ended up doing)

Use EP140 oil in the gearbox for a Forty Plus - 90 is too thin and will leak out fast. You can get Penrite EP140 limslip from Repco, if they dont have it in stock, they can order it in for you; its about $19 for one litre, this used to last me about a year, now I have a new ring seal on the prop shaft that seems to be holding the gearbox oil in very well at the moment. Vintage car workshops may have EP140 as they use it in old car diffs.
medium_1307442276.jpg
medium_1307442276.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 793 times
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Thanks again bychance. The ring seal that your talking about." Is that the part that slides over the prop shaft, and fits between the gearcase housing, and that part thats secured by a shear pin were the prop sits against, i just took it out because of all the fishing line that was like a birds nest, Ive looked on SOS parts store, but cant find it. But i will ask him about them.
chris

Post by chris »

I have basically everything you need except for thumbscrews and captive washers and I live in Redcliffe, I will pm you and give my contact details
bychance

Post by bychance »

Thanks Chris, I had no idea that you did parts :o

1650bullet: the rubber sealthat sits between the prop collar and the gearbox acts as a grit seal only. It does not do too much in my opinion especially when it is worn (fishing line wouldn't help either).

These V Ring seals; I got 3 from RS Components delivered for $7. Someone had posted the details of the benefits of these seals in the forum.
V12A Ring Seals.jpg
V12A Ring Seals.jpg (7.27 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

There is also Tim http://www.britishseagull.com.au
Not sure about the Limslip140 as it contains additives that are not specified and may not be good for your bronze bushes.
Penrite also do "Transoil 140" which is specked for seagull, this is what I use.
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
bychance

Post by bychance »

Oops, I thought I was buying transoil and my poor eyesight is to blame, the bottles look sort of similar......all I saw was 140.

I reckon I have done about 50 hours or close to it in the Silver Century using the Limslip, I hope I haven't damaged anything :?
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

The other good thing about using the seagull throttle is that (if you set it up to the seagull recommended distance on the tiller arm) you can increase or reduce engine speed just by raising or lowering the tiller arm. Very handy when using a tiller extension. Don't run the cable through the small block on some tiller arms. They are death to throttle cables
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
chris

Post by chris »

I don't actually have a part supply but have acquired a bit of stuff over the years and try to help people out as a lot of my stuff was given to me.
I give away what I got for nothing and only charge the same price as what I paid for on the bought stuff
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

bychance wrote:Oops, I thought I was buying transoil and my poor eyesight is to blame, the bottles look sort of similar......all I saw was 140.

I reckon I have done about 50 hours or close to it in the Silver Century using the Limslip, I hope I haven't damaged anything :?
I'm sure it will be fine but I would swap to the right oil. We make a lot of replacement bronze worm wheels for gear compartments that have been run on gear oils with EP additives, pays to be carefull.
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com