Hayling Island Recce

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

Hayling Island Recce

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Have looked at the tide times, March 10 HT 12.38, March 24 HT 12.34.

Either Saturday 11.00 start from Itchenor, to try the proposed 40+/- route, down to East Head mark then up to the bridge and back.

Charles L has said he will come, does anyone else want to come along. Robin are you in Chichester harbour either weekends, could give the Tinker Tramp a run :)

Or at least make cups of tea for the hardy. :)

This will be a run in sheltered water, if the wind is blowing there could be a bit of chop, should be a 3-4 hr run then a debrief in the pub.

I can bring a spare boat if anyone wants to try out their Seagull.

Will bring a tow rope for Charles :D

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Hayling Island Recce

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Date is set 24th March, unless it is blowing a gale. Look for confirmation on forum Friday 23rd
Run what you brung, we will be using 40+ engines to test a new class route.

We will be in the harbour only so sheltered water, but life jackets would be a good idea.

Any boat type and engine welcome, down to East Head mark then up to the bridge and back.

Will aim to leave the slip at about 11.00 am

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I would have come and used your spare boat, but I'm at a training session for the scheme I sail with! Boo :cry:
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

ahoy H-A,
10th was good for me but sorry to report that Pleiades may be cruising elswhere on 24th. I will reason with her and see if she will turn around and come back to Chi but she can be a bit headstrong.......
Good luck anyway - both with the recce and hopefully a good event later in the year.
Will of course pipe you onboard for T and stickies if we do get back.

Cheers
Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

So are there any other people wanting to join in on this trip?

Have dusted off the cobwebs and got a 40+ running, second pull after 2 years, with stale fuel, Charles have you dug out a 40+ yet?

I will take my yellow boat, 40+, 2hp Honda, 2HP Mariner, for a bit of bollard testing.

If anyone needs to borrow a small boat say now and I will bring it along.

Charles the skip arrives tomorrow, so if you want to drop the Enterprise hull enroute that should be OK as there will be some space.

I have a taker for the Enterprise hull on the Thames run, so will need to get it ship shape.

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Weather is looking good,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2634383

14 degrees and sunshine, better bring the suntan lotion :)

Charles and I will be meeting at the itchenor slip at 10.00 hrs.

I will be using my yellow boat so have room for a passenger if anyone wants a ride.

The plan is to go down to East Head mark, then up to the bridge and back, should take 3-3.5 hrs.
Hat 3.jpg
This is what it will look like.

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks like it is just you and me Charles. :roll:

Spare boat for the 21st of July Hayling Island Event is on the mend, after you dropped it off yesterday I could not resist getting out the resin and cloth.
repair.jpg
It will be an easy mend, £10 to buy the boat, £50-£60 materials to repair it, then good to go. A cheap boat.

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

What a nice day.

Great weather, smooth sea, super powerfull 40+. :)
sunny.jpg
When we arrived there was a brass band playing, not for us but for a double new boat launch.
Launch.jpg
Very nice classic racing class, not sure of name, but have seen similar in Cowes.

We were soon under way down to East Head, Charles was very upset that his boat would only do 5 MPH :D
Blue.jpg
Luckily we had Blue as safety boat. I thought we would need him at one point, as I could not see Charles, had he broken down?
No he was just going very slowly. :lol:
distant.jpg
You can just see him, he is the dot to the left of the one with the sail.
Chuck.jpg
The "down to East Head mark then up to the bridge and back", is a viable route for 40 series engines.

It took 3.5 hrs with a speed of 5-6 mph, so end-start time will be the same as the Century class.

Itchenor Boat Club are glad to have us back on the 21st of July. So I would say we are good to go.

H-A
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

very jealous - what a cracking day
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You missed a treat!

The sweatshirt was off by lunch time, & I think H-A needs a new calculator, my speed over the ground using Gps was a lot closer to 3 mph than 5, though I did see 5 in the tidal jet stream.

Blue went to sleep in the sunshine & let the wife drive, she is a lot better to look at than him & smiles a lot more so that's a big positive.

But there is no doubt that H-A's extra hull length makes a big difference 1/2 a mph for free shows big time.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
trw999

Post by trw999 »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:Very nice classic racing class, not sure of name, but have seen similar in Cowes.H-A
That is the classic Westmacot design Solent Sunbeam. The launch was for their first GRP hulled versions. They have two fleets, Falmouth and Itchenor. They race every weekend and their nationals are always held at Cowes Week. They race them around from Itchenor to Cowes on the Friday, do the week, then race back to Itchenor the following Sunday.

Sunbeams are very lovely yachts, though not quite so beautiful as my International Dragon!

Tim