You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

niander

very old vintage ervinrude motor found!

Post by niander »

I know its not a seagull but its marston era or earlier
anyone know anything about these?
patent 1911 model b
actually has a Handel on top of the flywheel to start it!
niander

Re: very old vintage ervinrude motor found!

Post by niander »

phil

Post by phil »

Here's a site with lots of info; http://www.pfs-ware.com/rbmj/ for Evinrude see especially; vol.3 issue1, and vol.2 issue1, plenty of interesting stuff in the other sections as well. The discussion forum is no longer active on the above address.
There should be a brass tag on the fuel tank with a number, if you gave me the number I could let you know what year it is, that is if the tag is still there. The list starts on page 261 of "The Old Outboard Book" by Peter Hunn edition. 3 The model B motors start with #5000 in 1915 and start 1928 with #127,960. 1928 being the last year of production for the RBM.
niander

Post by niander »

Yes tag still there and number is
model B 20889
phil

Post by phil »

Sadly that number does not show up in the list I have. There were 2 B series models. 3.5 hp 1915 through 1922 serial #s 5000-7200. Also 2 hp 1915 -1928 serial #s 55,000-127,960 and up. So the list appears to be incomplete.
The quickest answer from those who really know their RBM stuff on ask a member at http://www.AOMCI.org
Otherwise should be able to nail down a year or range of years by comparing with the list of Evinrude RBM features on the site mentioned on my other post. The timing lever was changed every few years it seems. Sounds like an early one if there is a handle on the flywheel, assuming it has the original flywheel. Any photos that might help as well. Top of flywheel, timing lever, exhaust manifold area, transom clamp, and L/U.

According to this excellent site http://www.caille.8m.com/rowboat/Evinru ... index.html
It appears to be a 1913 or 1914.
niander

Post by niander »

I didnt think there would be a spark..but there is ive had it firing but not yet running ..its a gunna be loud beast! :P
140 in the gearbox seems about right
most of its made of brass.
niander

Post by niander »

Yep 1913/1914
like this one
http://www.caille.8m.com/rowboat/Evinru ... index.html
what the hells the starting procedure and what about the handle...rip yer hand off!
phil

Post by phil »

So it looks like it has a magneto then. I have a 1914 Caille RBM, it has just the timer [points that make and break the primary winding and operate off a cam on the lower side of the flywheel] and uses an external coil [Ford model T buzz coil works well, easier to get than the proper one], which then supplies the spark to the plug [which is 1/2 N.C.pipe thread] I think Evinrude went to a magneto in 1914 or 1915.
The starting drill for mine which is probably the same for the magneto ignition. Open the fuel tap, open the mixer valve 1 turn, turn the flywheel handle back and forth toward compression but not through about 3-4 times [about 1/2 a turn each time],this primes the cylinder, turn ignition on, quickly push through compression with the flat of your hand fingers above the course of travel of the flywheel knob. Wear nice thick gloves.

Mine will run as happily in reverse as forward.

A safer starting procedure is to bounce the flywheel off of compression in the direction opposite to what you what it to run. It fires and starts in the opposite direction then. Timing lever at 5 pm to start in forward [clockwise], timing lever at 7 am to start in reverse. Once running in forward, lever speeds up motor when pushed to the right just like a regular magneto.

Once running adjust mixer valve for best running, mag lever for fast or slow.

If it has a grease cup on the upper crank bearing, use light grease, give a 1/4 turn per hour operation.10:1 is a good starting point for mix if the upper bearing has no grease cup. The factory instructions for mine [with upper bearing grease cup] call for a 30:1 mix. I used 16:1, have run it a few times in the shop, hoping to try on a boat this summer.
phil

Post by phil »

Niander, here's a video of starting a 1913 Evinrude, lets see if I got it close to right from memory.

http://penn.itgo.com/video-pages/1913ev ... start.html
niander

Post by niander »

Thanks thats a good one
must be a heavy oil for the gearbox?
phil

Post by phil »

I think most use light grease. Don't know what is available there. Some use Lubriplate 105, it is a little light though, I think, but probably useable. If the shaft and bearings are not too worn you may get away with 140 wt., it seems to be an issue of how much leakage you are willing to put up with.

Mine has John Deere cornhead [maizehead? in U.K.?] grease in it. It should be available at a farm dealer there? The dealer told me some of their ride on mowers use it in the gearcase, in any event it should be a non-channelling grease [which I understand to mean that it stays on the bearing surface of the gears, at least to the extent that the bearing surfaces retain as much as they need for adequate lubrication].

Some of the AOMCI club members with the capability to do machine work have made new propshafts for some of the RBMs and set them up with bearings and seals so they can use regular 80/90 wt. sae gearlube. This is usually only done if they intend to use the motor quite regularly.

Don't know if this helps any but