long or short

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

davecarole

long or short

Post by davecarole »

hello we are new members,just buying our first seagull to put on a 12 foot inflatable.
can any one tell me long or short shaft ,if long can we adjust height,also is there any way of telling by engine numbers,
the two i am looking at are fp1746e8 and fp274aa4 thanks for any help you can give to two newcomers.
charlesp

Re: long or short

Post by charlesp »

Both of those are standard shaft Forty Plus motors, which I suspect should be OK. The thing that will affect the length requirement is the arrangement for attaching the motor; at any event the waterpump housing clench bolt should be at least a couple of inches below the waterline.
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

I run my inflatable with a 40+ and use a lifting bracket (available from John). These are a most under estimated little engine, it pushes my 2.9 Waveline 4up quite well. Don’t expect it to plane, but with minimal maintenance it will provide excellent fun and transport for most of your life and your families. I don’t care what people say about reliability you wont find a yamamoto type thingy doing fifty to sixty years hard work. With another ten stuck in someone’s damp shed stolen by the local baduns, flogged as scrap, and spoted by a nostalgic member of the public. Rebuilt with the help from like minded enthusiasts on this site.
Well that’s me off again (Sorry) enjoy your seagull experience.
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
davecarole

Post by davecarole »

thanks to both of you, i have a motor mount from intex the maker of our inflatable so it should all be ok.
i am glad the two seagulls are standard lengths, i am buying on ebay so one if not both will be mine (slightly manic laugh).
over the last few weeks i have read all i can about seagulls, especially on this site, and i cant wait to own one.
we will be using ours mostly on the middle and upper thames for holidays and fishing expiditions whilst camping.
hopefully i wont need to ask you too many questions in the future ,but look forward to keeping in touch with this excellant website.
dave.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

I'd be interested to know how your project of marrying a Seagull with your Intex Excursion. I have it in mind to do the same and would welcome your comments and any pics if you have them.
Regards,