Main Site Issues

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Main Site Issues

Post by charlesp »

John tells me he's having tribulations with the main site, which has left some of the navigation rather less than complete. The hosting company has been contacted, and with luck a normal service will be resumed soon.

In an unrelated but still technology based incident, he has issues at the moment with email, too, so please don't be alarmed if you haven't had a reply to one you may have sent. In fact if you have sent one recently, it may not be a bad idea to send it again.
John@sos

Web site problems

Post by John@sos »

Thanks to Charles for explaining, I not only had a problem with the server going down, but a hard drive failure here as well.

Now on back up P.C. It took ages to set up all the mail etc, but we are there.

The website is a different story. It seems the server has a major problem and I lost much of the site and they were unable or unwilling to relaod with the back up I pay them to use.. as a result I have reloaded with an older version of the site, as the home page reveals..

Worse, I have no access to the site to edit it! Seems they are still struggling to get control of their servers..

At least the site works again, all pages accessable, but appologies to all of you who sent pics in for the gallery. I spent a lot of time at the beginning of the month adding pics, articles and generally editing, all of which I have lost! I used save the site monthly, at the end of every month, if I had done updates... I now know to do it within minutes of an edit!

Hopefuly it will get back to where we were before Friday the 13th..... shortly.

Meantime I am as busy as heck trying to sort e-mail and post.

Regards
John
SOS
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

Congratulations on getting the Forum back up.
I've been missing it!

***YES*** posting and editing works, I'm trying that now :-)

I hope your hosting provider is being more co-operative and on the ball now. I am sure you *dont* need the IT hassles when you could be fixing engines for the coming season.
John@sos

web site problems

Post by John@sos »

Hello everyone, it's great to be back!

My grateful thanks to friend Brendan who has spent a lot of time and effort unravelling the mess Easyspace left it in.

Seems they simply cannot cope, so I'm going to move the site elsewhere. hopefully you will not notice when I have, except that it will not have so many days down!

I have to wait a few more days till Brendan helps me rebuild the SOS machine, to a double 250Gb Raid machine. then the site willbe saved to part of it as a sever and all editing will in future be done off line, then changes uploaded. this will ensure I have all on the P>C> at all times.

Sadly I lost 2 weeks worth of editing on Friday the 13th, as sadly... yes you never learn do you... I had not saved all those edits.

Most were simple updates, some pics, most of which I have saved to an external drive, so eventually i will get them back on the site.

Sorry for all the blank pages for a while.

The forum is going to be updated to the latest version soon, whereby I will be able to save all the info at the click of a button! You could not easily do that before.

Brendan has also taken time today to remove Java script from the buttons, the result is a cleaner simper look, hope you like it!

Regards,
John
philj

Post by philj »

Hi,
glad to see SOS back on line. Was it a Friday the 13th thing, or a 666 thing that made it all fall over? Humm, how many members on this forum?
Phil
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Yes I noticed too, creepy!

The look might change slightly in a bit as Brendan and Tim update the version so it can always be saved easily. This will save me a few sleepless nights, I was worrying where it was for the last month! Could not imagine losing the lot......

Regards,
John
trw999

Post by trw999 »

John

Just a quick thumbs-up and note of thanks for all you do for us on this forum and with SOS.

We owe you a pint - or two!

Tim
gerry c

Post by gerry c »

is there no way we can pay to keep site going well and reward you for all your effort . i would gladly pay 5-10£ ayear just like a wee club.velo aka gerry c. sos club +wee badge .
budgies repaired tues,seagulls anytime.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Well, John has Paypal available to any body and everybody for stuff purchased.

Use that to send Donations.

Like the Idea of a "Badge".........us Down_Unders like Badges!

C.I.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Well, looks like that concept fell on deaf ears.

Just a Thort.

Regards

C.I.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
John@sos

Continuing web issues

Post by John@sos »

Sorry folks, seems we are a victim of our own sucess!

The number of visits and some FrontPage errors on the site had overloaded the server, so they shut it down.

Brendan has waved his magic wand again and hopefully we are up and running again, but the new website will be up soon, with different buttons and styling, same content..

However I will then have to ability to edit and upload al the extra bits coming in... We are getting there, it's just taking a while!

John
John1952

Back online

Post by John1952 »

Well done web-wizards! Great to see you back online John, you dont miss it till you aint got it do you! :D
John@sos

New Version of Site

Post by John@sos »

Well it has been up for 2 days now and seems to still be working fine, the new buttons and links OK and the pics now visible. All should be working quicker with Brendans modifications.

Shortly we will be publishing a new feature. Keep coming back and you will see it straight away.

we would like you to try it and see if it works. when it throws up somethig odd please let us know...

Keep watching, it's getting better all the time, thanks to Brendan!

Regards
John
Robin Anderson

Re: Main Site Issues - gratuitously handsome 40+

Post by Robin Anderson »

Hi John,
Sorry you have had big problems with the web site. To help you get over the unpleasantness I attach herewith a photo of a handsome 40+ on a smart little dingy.
Nautical therapy.

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Main Site Issues

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would say not 40+ but 34B :D

H-A