Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Nudge

Johnson TS 20

Post by Nudge »

I got me another outboard! :roll:
Johnson TS.JPG
Johnson TS1.JPG
As far as I know it is 1946, I don't know a lot about it yet...Other than it is seized! twin cylinder and I think it's 5hp
IMG_3708.JPG
The prop is the strangest I have ever seen!
IMG_3649.JPG
IMG_3648.JPG
It looks like it has hit the ground and rolled up (I don't think that is the case!)

Anyone got any info about them (I think the TD 20 is almost the same) Paper work, anything!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
cookie1

Re: Johnson TS 20

Post by cookie1 »

Nice motor !
wbeaton

Post by wbeaton »

You have a genuine war bride. Your motor serial number is American and comes up during a period of the war years when records are sparse. Serial numbers 460783-491736 were produced from 1943-45. During this period outboard production was only for the war effort and not available to private citizens. Since your S/N is close to the end I would assume you have a 1945. The difference between the TS and the TD is the recoil starter. The D is for deluxe. It is missing the lower cowl. This is an extremely common antique outboard in the US and Canada. Spares will not be expensive, but shipping may be an issue. PM me your email address and I’ll send you some literature.

The T series began life in 1937 with the introduction of the 4.2 hp L series. Horsepower was boosted to 5 hp in 1940 before getting the-redesign that is the T series. They are a very good outboard. The dial on top of the motor is the high speed jet and primer plunger. The primer seal is leather and must be in working order to run properly. What’s interesting about this motor is that it actually has two carburetors. The second “carb” is actually a mixing valve that adjusts air flow for the idle circuit. The literature i’ll send you will explain things.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Hi Wbeaton,
I have sent you a PM with my email address.

It is a very interesting looking carb/ motor setup with all of the copper pipes going everywhere. The pipe from the Y fitting at the front of the engine will need one of its fittings replacing (the pipe is a bit loose and the fitting has been rounded off)

I have got most of it freed up ,the tilt is still very stiff and the bolt wont budge! (and I don't want to use a a big hammer or heat unless there is no other way) So far I have been putting WD40 on it every day (I will have another look at it tomorrow if I get time.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I thought this was a nice find until I read Wayne's post, now it looking more like a great find.

Well done.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The best part with it is it only cost me $65 for the outboard!

then a quick 1292.4km round trip to get it! :shock: 2 tanks of fuel and a lot of coffee later. much better than paying someone to drop it off at the door :roll:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Nudge wrote:The best part with it is it only cost me $65 for the outboard!

then a quick 1292.4km round trip to get it! :shock: 2 tanks of fuel and a lot of coffee later. much better than paying someone to drop it off at the door :roll:
Been there, done that.

Melbourne to Gorokan (1002km each way) to pick up 13 outboards - over-night stay.
Melbourne to Canberra (691km each way) to pick up 2 outboards - return same day.

I don't mind a long drive if the weather is decent.
wbeaton

Post by wbeaton »

Wow, those are big trips! Outboards must be thin on the ground down there.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

You can pay a lot of money for an outboard close to home... and it is crap!
Or you pay a little and drive to get it and it is ok!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

wbeaton wrote:Wow, those are big trips! Outboards must be thin on the ground down there.
Especially the Australian made stuff Wayne. They were built in much, much smaller numbers than you guys over in the US are use to seeing.

Post 1959 Riptides for example (very popular brand by comparison to others), last 2 digits of the serial number indicate build number for a given year - 2 digits aye, so always less than 100.

Definitely not easy!

regards,