Victa Jet - started today and it runs!

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Twinkles031

Victa Jet - started today and it runs!

Post by Twinkles031 »

Hi all,

Thought I would post up some pics of my victa jet that I recently finished restoring. Being an avid lawnmower and chainsaw collector, I was extremely happy to find one of these jet outboard locally. Although the old owner wasn't able to start it when I picked it up, he assured me that he had it running in the past, so I took a gamble and grab it. I actually finished restoring this a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to fire it up untill today, so was extremely pleased when it fired into life and ran like a champ from idle to full throttle!

Anyway, a couple of pics below. Will try and get my other new outboard (37 evinrude sportsman) up this week once I put that in the tank and fire that one up too.

Making old things look and run like new again! :-)
Nudge

Re: Victa Jet - started today and it runs!

Post by Nudge »

Very nice, looks like it is fresh out of the box! 8)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Nice job Anthony!
Did you get the decals printed yourself?

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Twinkles031

Post by Twinkles031 »

Thanks guys,

Hey Boyd, no i got the decals from this bloke on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Victa-JET-Vi ... Sw0JpV4c~f

I have used his decals in the past on various mower builds, and have been very happy with the quality of the stickers. To be honest i only actually used a couple of the decals in the pack, the rest are originals i was able to clean up to look like new!

The only bit I am not 100% happy with at the moment is a small crack in the very top cover in front of the pull start. Will keep my eyes open for a replacement in the future but finding a mint one is going to be a big ask.

I also picked up another little 40 seagull the other day, so once i finish the 50s model Homelite saw i'm on at the moment that will be the next one on the bench!
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

by Twinkles031
The only bit I am not 100% happy with at the moment is a small crack in the very top cover in front of the pull start. Will keep my eyes open for a replacement in the future but finding a mint one is going to be a big ask.
One of my friends in Mandurah may possibly have one of those plastic covers without any cracks; i'll contact him tomorrow to check and will let you know.

Does your '37 Sportsman have a recoil start or is it a rope start?

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Great job on the resto Anthony. It's got to be the nicest Victa Jet I've seen so far.

Well done!

BTW, If you come unstuck in your search for a replacement cowl, register at Vintagemowers.net/forum and/or Outdoorking.com/forum. The guys at both are very helpful.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Twinkles031

Post by Twinkles031 »

Thanks Boyd, that would be great!

The Sportsman's (i I have the complete one and then a parts one) are both rope start models.

And Thanks Spiro, I am really pleased with it! I wish i had of had the for thought to get a before photo, but i am a bit excitable when i actually get time to work on my motors so pretty much had it all stripped before i thought of it!

I am registered at vintagemowers.net, and have found some great info on there in the past, will look into outdoorking though!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I like what you have done with the jet..... 8)

Nice as well that it runs nicely as one in good nick does.

Put it on a transom and report back to us how it actually goes aye?

I have a new one and one other that I have actually tried out, a transom test so to speak.

Could you do that test for us sometime? I will mark you out of 10 as to your trial..... :P

I think that every serious AU collector has to have one for basic cred from their peers. Seriously!

Good work.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:

I think that every serious AU collector has to have one for basic cred from their peers. Seriously!

BnC
Not sure that I agree with you on that B. Yes, the Victa Jet is part of our local outboarding history, but to suggest that any Aussie Collector who doesn't have one lacks basic cred is bit difficult to accept.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Twinkles031

Post by Twinkles031 »

Haha will do! Our boat is a bit big for this little guy to push along very quickly, but i will chuck it on next time i get the boat out and post back a Vid for ya. I am on the hunt for an old timber 10ft dingy to run my collection of outboards on, unfortunately anyone that has one isnt keen on letting it go!

For those that are interested, i have attached a couple of photos of my Elto sportsman that i am yet to fire up, but cosmetically its restored, as well as a couple of photos of my Seagull and 65'Johnson 5hp. Apologize for the crappy photos but i didn't have time to get them out the shed and into the light.

Twinkles031

Post by Twinkles031 »

For those that want to add one to their collection.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262588406080
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Nice job on the restos .
It good to run them in a tank, and see and hear them running as they were supposed to.
Thats part of the reward, for all the time and effort.
look forward to seeing more of them.
Cheers