Villiers Mk12/1

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Villiers Mk12/1

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

Following B's lead I thought I'd post about my Villiers I got recently as well.
Very similar to B's except 'MK12/1' not HS. Manufacture date at 1959. A score from the Swapmeet two weekends ago at Northam (WA) and picked it up with a whitworth spanner and a 9.5 JohnnyRude workshop manual all for the princely sum of $16AUD.

A full mechanical and cosmetic restoration will take place, and so far the results seem promising. No bolts/nuts seized which is good and having the correct tools for a change really makes a difference.
At first look it had no compression but the exhaust valve was stuck open (now fixed), and no spark.
When I get the pics up you will see how badly corroded the magneto is/was, I thought it had been underwater for some time. Anyway, after a clean and re-set of the points, she now has nice bright blue spark. Inside the motor is very clean with no rust & damaged parts, so should be relatively easy to get back to running condition.
As found, she didn't have a muffler so one will be either sourced or custom made (by myself 8) )

Pics will come shortly

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
AusOB_Collector

Re: Villiers Mk12/1

Hi all

Been working on the Villiers again...
On my 12/1 I now have some semblance of compression before lapping the valves and seats etc... but what is most interesting is not this one, but another that found it's way to me in the past week. A Villiers Mk10.
What is interesting is the fact that the carburettor is extremely similar to the one on a 40+ for instance, except for the mounting position etc. Has anyone ever found out the exact similarities with a Seagull?

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Quite a lot of Villiers motors have a similar carb, if not the some as some early 40 motors.
AusOB_Collector

Hi all

On the weekend past I managed to get the Mk10 going, very happy with it. Started first pull even after sitting for God knows how long.

If anyone is interested I put together a little video about it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1tmxkQbW8

Back to seagulls now!!

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,