Stuart P55MR

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Stuart P55MR

Post by AusAnzani »

Just added a Stuart P55MR, twin cylinder 8hp gasoline putt putt engine c/w forward/reverse gearbox to my collection. Turns over very smoothly, has heaps of compression and shifts in and out of gear easily.

As this is my very first inboard, I am looking forward to the new experiences it will bring.

All appears to be in original/untouched condition, and although it was used in salt water there is very little rust or corrosion. Last night I was able to crack all head, exhaust manifold and expansion chamber bolts without any difficulty ie all were tight but not seized! A few pics.

Matching Serial Numbers on the engine and gearbox. Am searching Google now to see if I can use the serial number to determine year of manufacture.

Lots of bronze hardware and components painted over at the factory. These will be polished during the resto, adding some much deserved bling to this old dear.

Only problem so far is its weight and lack of a trolley. Will get that sorted soon.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Re: Stuart P55MR

Post by Hugz »

What sort of boat are you going to mount it in?

Cant wait to see it after you have done your magic.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Very nice find S

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz wrote:What sort of boat are you going to mount it in?

Cant wait to see it after you have done your magic.
Unfortunately it won't be going in to a boat anytime soon Hugo.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:Very nice find S

BnC
Thank you B.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Very nice, lots of potential to make that look very nice indeed. Lots of brass and copper needed! Just the air filter missing?

I like it! Would look good in a restored clinker gentlemans launch :D
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Today I spent a little bit of time playing with the Stuart and am pleased to say all is looking good thus far.

Pulled the plugs allowing me to crank a little faster and check for spark. All good there and with a bit more love, I'm sure a stronger spark can be achieved.

Having the plugs out also allowed easier slow rotation to check for odd noises etc. found no problems there, but will remove the head and barrel anyway to check rings, decarbonise pitons, heads, exhaust chambers etc.

Lots more bronze and copper than I originally thought ANC whilst this means more work, it will add significantly to the overall look when completed.

Head and expansion chamber cover stuck firm even though all done nuts have been removed and a couple of studs also to check for rust. So at this stage it seems the gaskets are the problem but I'll remove more studs just to make sure.

Magneto, water pump and carb removed for cleaning etc

Pics to come.

Regards
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Looks like a great project. Hard to find in that condition. You may need to build a transport frame, so you can move it around.
Look forward to more pics.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Yes mate, she seems to be in great nick.

Removed the head and barrel to check rings, decarbonise the head, pitons and expansion chamber etc and to check the con-rods for any slack in the big and little ends.

Whilst all of that looks good so far, there appears to be a removable plate on each side of the crank case that provides greater access to the crank and big ends ie for assembly purposes. I'll remove these to allow closer inspection, cleaning and flushing of all bottom end parts.

On to a few photos. The first just shows some of the bronze components fixed to the upper section.

Had a little trouble removing the head and expansion chamber cover, otherwise she’s coming apart fairly easily. There’s still a little ways to go before she’s stripped right down.

Water pump and carburetor prior to removal and after paint stripper. Yet to be fully stripped and polished before final re-assembly.

Copy of the manual and lots of other useful information has been provided by a member of the Old Marine Engines forum. From the serial number, we’ve been able to narrow down the year of manufacture to a 3 year window between 1946 to 1949.

Not sure if I mentioned earlier on but this P55 was pulled from a rescue boat 50 or so years ago, sat in a garage under a timber cover, and started infrequently by it's previous owner ie whenever the grandkids were around still young enough to enjoy. In other words, very little use during the last 50 odd years, hence it's overall good condition.

More soon.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

A few more pics and that'll be it until finished I think ..... this is an 'outboard' forum after all.

Paint removed from all parts and she's looking pretty good, although a few hours going over it with a wire wheel wont hurt before moving on to primer.

Above pics were taken with much of the original/base hardware (all the rusted and frozen stuff) still in place. All will be replaced with new, albeit that BSF hardware has been difficult to find in Melbourne.

Unfortunately I have been unable to remove flywheel (and have been advised against trying by many) which inturn means I cannot tear down the crankcase. All inside seems to be good order though, and as she'll never go back in to a boat I will progress with a semi/cosmetic restoration instead of a full one.

In the meantime, I've been searching the net and have managed to find lots of great information and some of the missing/replacement parts in the UK. Hope to order those shortly if I can work a suitable postage deal with the vendor.

Regards,
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Looks like a lot of time has been spent, cleaning and preparing for paint. Have you decided which colour you are going to use.?
Another showpiece in the making.
Cheers
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

A very interesting and different project. Keep the updates coming!
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I have wanted a Turner off and on for some years, but like other bigger engines I have had over the years, it all comes down to lack of space, I think I even have a R2 book about.
I used to go for the flat twins, like the Norman T300 and the PU8, it makes a change doing something different ones in a while.
Its all looking good so far.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

notav8 wrote:Looks like a lot of time has been spent, cleaning and preparing for paint. Have you decided which colour you are going to use.?
Another showpiece in the making.
Cheers
According to the manual the 'standard' factory color was Stuart Green Enamel, however 'experts' on other forums have stated a) Stuart also painted marine engines to customer specifications and b) workers often tinted their own variations of the Stuart Green Enamel so that they could easily identify which engines they had built.

If you google search, you'll find factory examples painted in the Stuart Green, Red, Light Blue and Dark Grey. Most of the restored units however are painted in either Brunswick Green or Mid Brunswick Green. Some aim for a color closer to the original Stuart Green and use either BMC Engine Green or Middle Bronze Green, both of which are also readily available in the UK. The Middle Bronze Green is said to be a very close match to the factory standard Stuart Green.

As for this one, it will be finished in either Brunswick Green or Mid Brunswick Green and will certainly be pretty when finished, but it will also be ready to start and run.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Oyster 49 wrote:A very interesting and different project. Keep the updates coming!
Since you asked so nicely :lol: I will.