Owners of Australian Riptide Outboards - Call to Action

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Re: Owners of Australian Riptide Outboards - Call to Action

Post by Collector Inspector »

Now who would have doubts..........?????

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Not me lol

Before I popped that up, I recalled there was some 'discussion' between yourself and another historian, on another forum so time back. Do you remember?

Regards,
S
Last edited by AusAnzani on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

AusAnzani wrote:Ok, looking back at what we have of Riptide Outboard Motors with the newer serial number format, I suspect there has been a misread (highlighted YELLOW below).

Boatman: 59 5083, 59 6048, 60 5014, 60 5040
Fisherman: 59 6022, 59 6039, 60 6085, 61 6022
Fisherman Deluxe: None with the WH serial number format.
Sportsman: 59 8056, 59 8021, 60 8020

I suspect the 6048 should be 5048. This then gives some consistency in that the first 2 of the last 4 digits in the serial number are;

Boatman: 50
Fisherman: 60
Fisherman Deluxe: None with the WH serial number format.
Sportsman: 80

Earlier today I received the serial number of another known Sportsman Outboard ie 59 8034. The 80 component of that serial number is consistent with that of other Sportsman outboards on record.

So, if we assume:

first two digits represent year
second set of two digits represent model
last set two digits, the build number for the year

the production numbers are very small.

Still all theoretical of course, but at least there is some logic there.

Regards,
S
So when i posted the above, it was all based on serial numbers collected over a period of time and the transition year from Riptide Outboard Motor Company to Westcott Hazell being 1959. All said was very plausible but I had no documentation to support what essentially was nothing more that a very strong hunch. By chance I received some information a few days ago (protocopied extracts from old magazines), and in amongst that lot was a snippet that helps to close the issue. See below:
Riptide Westcott Serial Number Confirmation.JPG
The above also confirms that WH did in fact continue with the Fisherman De Luxe for at least some time.

What this confirms for collectors of Riptide Outboard Motors is this:

If your serial number is prefixed with the letter B (Boatman), F (Fisherman), I (Fisherman De Luxe) or S (Sportsman) it was built by the Riptide Outboard Motor Company, from 1956 until the business was sold in 1959.

If however the second set of two digits in your serial number numbers 50 (Boatman), 60 (Fisherman, 70 (Fisherman De Luxe) or 80 (Sportsman) is was built by Westcott Hazell during the year advised by the first two digits of the serial number.

Regards,
S
Raya

Post by Raya »

My wife said that she saw a Seagull in the window of a local boat dealer. I checked it out today and found that it was a riptide. Not sure of the model. If anyone is still collecting serial numbers, I can go have a closer look when the dealer is open and post back the number.
Riptide.jpg
Raya

Post by Raya »

I had a closer look at the motor the other day when the shop was open. It is a Riptide Boatman. The bloke in the shop said that the outboard was in for repair. Here is photo of the serial number for future reference.
Serial number
Serial number
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Excellent Raya, thanks for taking the time to record the serial number.

As you say, it’s a Riptide Boatman made by Westcott Hazel Industries in 1960. Will add it to the records.

As a matter of interest, could you share with us it’s location please.

Thanks & Regards
Spiro
Raya

Post by Raya »

Spiro, sorry about the late reply. The motor is at Paradise Point on the Gold Coast.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Raya wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 pm Spiro, sorry about the late reply. The motor is at Paradise Point on the Gold Coast.
All good, thank you!
Pete49

Post by Pete49 »

As a new member here I thought I might add another Riptide motor to the collective. Its a Fisherman No F 57126. It needs a little work and a couple parts which may need to be made from scratch. Not running but did run for a little bit when testing it. It was given tome about 30 years ago by an acquaintance who thought it was a seagull and knew I had a seagull ob and thought it would be good for parts. I stored it in the shed and due to life, the universe and things in general forgot it. Now back into boating and while looking at giving my seagull a birthday I remembered the Riptide and will now work on it to get it ready to use occasionally.
The seagull is a Silver Century clutched long shaft No WSPCL 20F2 which was used on my previous Hartley 21 TS but now considering makingita short shaft to suit a tinnie I now use.
Pete
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Welcome aboard Pete,

Thanks for the contribution also.

Let me know what Riptide parts you need. Will assist if I can.

Regards
Spiro
Pete49

Post by Pete49 »

Well I couldn't get water up while spinning it with a drill so removed the bottom end to check the impeller. Surprise its a brass one and looks like a bit of wear and rough scratches on the fins of the impeller on it thought the casing seems scratch free. Would like a couple close up pics of the handle section as it looks like mine was broken off.Seeing the bottom section with the prop has a grease nipple so I guess it is greased not oiled.
Pete
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

When spinning with the drill turn the fuel on, the bearings & the piston/cylinder hate running dry as it causes them to age very rapidly!

Are you sure it's a grease nipple & not a oil nipple?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Pete49

Post by Pete49 »

Definitely a grease nipple. :shock: Hopefully I hear from a riptide owner and find out for sure. I always turn on the fuel with 2 stroke engines especially the seagull.
Pete
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Pete49 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:15 pm Well I couldn't get water up while spinning it with a drill so removed the bottom end to check the impeller. Surprise its a brass one and looks like a bit of wear and rough scratches on the fins of the impeller on it thought the casing seems scratch free. Would like a couple close up pics of the handle section as it looks like mine was broken off.Seeing the bottom section with the prop has a grease nipple so I guess it is greased not oiled.
Pete
Hi Pete,

If you like, send me a pm with your email address and I’ll respond with a copy of the Fisherman manual as well as some photos of the carry handle.

Regards
Spiro
Pete49

Post by Pete49 »

Thanks for that. PM sent
Pete