I have removed dozens of Seagull flywheels in the past but this little chap is
certainly a challenge (Don't want to use the EBH) as I fear damaging it and
replacements don't come easy
Hears hoping
Cheshire Cat 4
Keith.P

Re: Anzani Pilot

Post by Keith.P »

If it's not working with a puller, it doesn't sound good, as long as you are pulling as close to the centre of the flywheel as possible, so you don't deform the flywheel.
I don't think using the four screw holes on the flywheel wouldn't help, what I would do, after liberal lubrication hasn't worked and I have to use a puller, I do it up as tight as I can and shock the flywheel with a hide hammer, probably what you are already doing.
Heat is not a practical option, a penetration or freeze spray may help, sometimes you have to be heavy handed.
Cheshire Cat 4

Post by Cheshire Cat 4 »

Hi Keith,
Thank you for your reply I think I shall look for a better puller, one that I can get closer to the crank with
the one I am using at present is probably flexing the flywheel and defeating the object,
Have you any preference in lubricating fluid, the best one I have ever used was PB Blaster but seems it is
only available from USA and while it is not that dear the postage at £20 plus is a bit silly
Thank you once again
Ken.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Have you any preference in lubricating fluid.
I don't know if I should answer that.
I use the common or garden stuff WD and the likes, as its a penetrating fluid not so much a lubricant, I prefer Plusgas myself.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hi,

What about using acetone as an agent that will deliver the penetration oil to the area of the problem?

I have read about people mixing acetone with automatic transmission fluid etc. I believe a solution of an oil that dissolves in acetone could work.

For the mixture above I read 1:1 ratio. A little bit of search on the web in this direction and experimenting may bring the desired results.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Don't repair it. Send it to me, i need a con rod!

All jokes aside, mine was a right pain to remove also. Did as Stelios suggested, filling the area around the nut with WD40 and then Acetone for days at a time. Eventually I came off with the puller in a very load and exciting fashion. In fact the noise was such that I though I had broken the flywheel but not the case. It's all intact and in perfect condition.

Use a 2 pronged puller only. Do no use the screw holes.

PS: See Anzani Pilot resto thread. Re-assembly will commence once I have the con rod repaired or replaced.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I had the same problem on an suspicious flywheel for distortion. There was no need to be gentle. So after a couple of days of soaking and no luck I took out the drill bits and the taps...

I suspect that you wouldn't like to tap on a flywheel that may be difficult to find a replacement, but it is still a solution. With this trick, mine pop off for no effort. If you do a neat job may tapping be acceptable. I used M6 as the bolt seller made a mistake and gave me that size instead of M5 I wanted. M4 may do the job but make sure you buy high tension bolts.

I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Cheshire Cat 4

Post by Cheshire Cat 4 »

Hi all
Many thanks to all who answered my problem the little blighter popped of this
dinnertime after soakings of lots of acetone and transmission fluid, a 2 legged puller
and a monster EBH.
Thanks again
CC4 :D
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hello Cheshre, how about some photos?

Let's see this little Pilot of yours. :D

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com