Anzani Pilot Resto

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Anzani Pilot Resto

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster and first time vintage outboard restorer so please go easy on me.

Having restored several boats over the years, and not wanting to do another (just yet) I thought I would start a looking for a smaller project to keep me busy over the coming months. Had always wanted to do an older outboard so the search began. After several months I stumbled across a 1954? British Anzani Pilot on eBay Australia. To the best of my knowledge there's not too many of these in Aus, and with rarity adding another level of interest, I decided I had to have it.

The elderly gentleman who owned it (now in his mid eighties) was the original owner. He has it fitted to a 17 foot bondwood boat and used as a trolling motor on Lake Eildon, a fresh water lake in Victoria well known for its stocks of brown and rainbow trout. It has never seen salt water and has been in storage for the last 35 years.

Although I didn't see it running, I did a few basic checks on collection and all seemed to be in pretty good order.

From the limited research I've done, it seems these things were produced in a bunch of different color combinations. For this one however, I thought a highly polished leg, trunk and transom assembly and painted powerhead and fuel tank is the way to go.

Don't have a proper drawing package like adobe illustrator on my pc, so persisted with microsoft powerpoint and after a couple of hours mucking around, managed the following. Everything is hand (mouse) drawn including the lettering, so it's not quite where I want it yet, but getting there.

I set both on a small angle to gives the perception of movement, and put them on a gloss background 'cause that's probably going to be the finish color of the tank.

As stated, not 100% yet but if I wanted to I could export the file and have them printed up locally.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Re: Anzani Pilot Resto

Post by AusAnzani »

Commenced the tear down a few weeks ago and took a few snaps along the way. These will also assist the reassembly process. Won't have to rely on my fading memory!

All went pretty well, no seized nuts and bolts etc, a little more reassurance that this is in pretty good nick.

Only issue at this stage was removing the cylinder head bolts. They were done up super tight, and I didn't want to risk damage by using metric or AF imperial ring spanner that didn't quite fit. A quick call to close friend confirmed availability of availability of Whitworth ring spanners, so the cylinder heads stayed on until I could get over to his place.

A little bit of cleaning along the way, and some issues with pics not uploading to photobucket, so the following is the best I can offer.

Fuel tank and steering arm removed. Unfortunately photos of those won't upload.

Prop removed and rough cleaned.

Leg & trunk (exhaust housing) separated from upper section.

Only three small screws securing leg to trunk, and some thin stainless wire to ensure they don't loosen and fall out.

Wasn't 100% sure at this stage, but it seemed the water pick up tube had frozen to the leg preventing me from separating the leg from the trunk. This later proved NOT to be the case. I just needed to be a little bit more heavy handed than I was.

The following pic just shows the large circlip that secures the engine bracket in position. I decided to leave that until later, thus allowing me to secure the outboard (via the transom bracket) until the power head had been totally stripped down.

Removal of the flywheel cover provided access to the flywheel which is removed using a two jaw gear puller. Loosening the nut but leaving on ensures the flywheel didn't end up on the ground and damaged!

With the flywheel removed, I had ready access to the coil, points and condenser and also the two screws that secure that assembly the crank case.

Decided to remove the two screws thereby keeping the it together until I was ready to work on that. Just a quick clean and put aside.

With that removed, I had easy to the crank case and cylinder bolts and was able to loosen those an adjustable spanner.

Quite a few other pics taken along the way, but as stated above had trouble uploading them to photobucket.

Aside from a couple of very minor hick-ups, all going well thus far.

Continued the tear down and started cleaning and reworking some of the parts.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Continued to experience issues with photobucket, even tried renaming and reshooting photos without luck.

Anyway, can't show you what wouldn't upload, but can show you what did so let's work with that.

Made some headway on the fuel tank, sanding back the upper section and in the process revealing several low spots and three small dents that will need fixing. Decided sections of the underside were too fiddly to do by hand so put that aside until I could get a hold of some paint stripper. Inside of the tanks appeared rust free but it will get a good clean out and possibly some fuel tank sealer regardless before its painted.

As stated in a previous post, removed the cylinder and head exposing the piston which was/is in rather good nick. Over to the left side is the transom bracket.

Separated the two haves of the crank case allowing me to remove the crank and piston as a single unit.

Pics that wouldn't upload to Photobucket include;

* Leg stripped down revealing reciprocating water pump (outer housing) and gear set (inner housing). The pump and gears are in excellent condition.

* Leg, Trunk & Prop - First stage of sanding. Still a long, LONG way to go, but the idea is to go from the original rough cast to highly polished aluminium finish.

* Cylinder mating surfaces - Gaskets softened and removed with plastic scraper, surfaces cleaned and sanded with a tool stone and oil to ensure they remained perfectly flat.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Spent a few more hours cleaning and sanding various bits and pieces in preparation for re-assembly down the track.

Cylinder came up nice after a bit of work. Hit the external surface with a wire wheel to remove build up of crud and rust. From there I moved on to the mating surfaces (crankcase and head) and hit those again with a tool stone to ensure they are perfectly flat. Once satisfied with that, I ran a hone through the cylinder, just a quick pass to show up any issues and fortunately there were none.

Continued to sand down the trunk and leg. As indicated above these and associates parts were all rough cast aluminium.The sanding is the first step in the process towards the chrome like polished finish I am aiming for. To be perfectly honest, this part has consumed more time and energy than I had originally anticipated, and I've got a long way to go yet before I can get them on to the polishing wheel. Let's hope it's worth the trouble in the end.

A little bit more sanding, this time to the underside of the tank. Heaps of solder here so I've been careful not to take too much material away and possibly end up with leaks. The several hard to get to areas will get a treatment of paint stripper, and before I apply any paint I'll fill it with kero just to make sure there are no leaks.

Unfortunately the issue with pics not uploading to photobucket continue, so cant show you work done to the transom bracket and the hand/steering rail that sits under the fuel tank. In short however, both have been stripped down and cleaned up. Still a way to go before both are finished, but I'm happy with the progress so far.

As started in a previous post, I managed to re-shoot and successfully upload a few pics of the leg and it's various components, however not before I started to sand them also.

More in due course!

In the interim however, I wonder if some of you more experienced guys are able to provide some guidance on the type and thickness of gasket material I'll need. The gaskets that come to mind are;

1. Oil paper for the gearbox and water pump housing
2. Crank case mating surfaces
3. Crank case to cylinder mating surface
4. Head gasket

And if anyone knows the model number for the Amal carb on this outboard, it would be a great help.

Look forward to your replies.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yep, my favourite motor. I've never needed to pull mine apart so good to see the pics. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Nice straight tank you have there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9UswYi1SgA
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for that Hugz.

Have watched your vid a few times already. All part of my Anzani Pilot research. :D

Plan to have this on display in my study/office, but want it to be a good running unit also.

Has to look and smell nice before the missus will let me bring it inside :roll:
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The pilot is a nice motor, nice and quiet as wall, I did two up ages ago, still have a later P handle one in the shed, not wanted.
The Pilot manual is free on-line, but its pretty basic.
Looking good so far, nice job.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I loved the text with the pictures. I haven't touched an Anzani but it seems that you do a very nice job, keep on!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Nice job, especially cleaning up the alloy parts. Many hours of prep to get those polished up by hand :D
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for the comments and support.

Today was another day of sanding, sanding and more sanding. In fact there were countless hours of the stuff!

Here's a couple of pics of the flywheel and associated parts. Flywheel was the easiest of the lot to do. Just ran a large bolt through it, put ii in the drill press and hit the start button. As it was spinning, I simply just held sand paper against it. Started with 240 grit, then 400 and finished with 800. Other parts were much more difficult.

The transom bracket was so bad, I had to take to it with a file. A little over two hours later, the external surfaces had been faired up and were ready to be sanded.

The hack work for the inner surfaces is nearing completion also. Still a couple of hours work left on this before I make a start on the second bracket section.

PS: I've got sore fingers :oops:
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Definitely polished to an inch of its life, more time spent on it than I would have put in, as they are pretty common over here.
Its definitely going to stand out when its finished.

Ones I did back when.
http://www.wytewych.co.uk/other-projects.html
The older type ones have a round cylinder head and fuel cap at one end of the tank, one on Ebay at the moment.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the comments (I think lol) and sharing your web site. You've done an amazing job on all of those outboards. That coventry victor is really interesting. I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

:)

Doing along nicely.

Here is one I prepared earlier..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRuMQd5Xb60

You do good work!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That is looking good, I have one with a good tank decal if you want a photo of it.
pilot.jpg
H-A
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thank you kindly. A close up photo of the decal would be greatly appreciated! :D

PS: Yours seems to have a different transom bracket set up. Mine secures to the transom with only 1 screw.