Anzani Pilot Resto

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: Anzani Pilot Resto

Post by AusAnzani »

Keith is correct however sometimes that which appears straight forward is actually not.

Remove the screws that secure the gearbox to the exhaust tube. They are located on the underside of the cav plate.
Apply some pulling pressure on the gearbox whilst rotating it clockwise and counter-clockwise approx 10-15 degrees repeatedly ie to free the water pick up from gearbox. Some persuasion may be needed here.
Remove the short section of water pipe that leaves the cylinder and enters the exhaust tube.
Remove the two screws that secure the outer exhaust tube to the inner exhaust tube section.
Secure the cylinder (vice with soft jaws or similar) and rotate the exhaust tube clockwise and counter-clockwise until you get a reasonable amount of movement in both directions.
Once that occurs, continue the rotation and apply some pulling pressure to remove.

Although it's not clearly visible in the pic below, there are some pretty serious scratched on the inner exhaust tube of mine caused by the rotation and pulling pressure discussed above.

They don't always come out easy and I think much of that has to do with the burring the occurs in and around on the threaded holes in the inner exhaust tube (the two towards the right of the above pic) caused by over tightening of the locating screws.

I've debured mine to facilitate re-assembly.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

As most on here will already be aware, this project has been on hold for quite some time whist the search for a replacement conrod continued.

Well, I'm pleased to say that search has finally come to and end and I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Mr Steve Green in Western Australia for making that happen. A word of thanks need also go to Bruce AKA Collector Inspector for confirming the Conrods used on the Anzani Pilots were same irrespective of year and hp rating. Thanks again to both of you.

The conrod was received a couple of weeks ago and as the Naked Johnno had stalled due to a lack of paint (I'll do a thread on that one soon), I thought it was time to start rebuilding the Pilot. This is where I got after a few hours of work yesterday.

The fuel tank and rail were also primed and are now waiting a sand with 1000+ wet & dry before the top coat is applied. As most on here already know Pilots were in a variety of colors over the years. As I’m not locked in to any particular scheme, I’m thinking Black or British Racing Green for the tank and either matching color or Cast Aluminium for the rail.

Unfortunately it seems I’ve misplaced a bag of bits including the ignition plate fixing screws, the shaft key and various other small bits and pieces, so the ignition plate, flywheel and rope pulley are just sitting in place for now and not yet fixed. I also have to source some replacement head-bolts as the originals did not survive removal. Nothing major, just a few more obstacles to overcome.

So a few weeks yet to go before this little Anzani is ready for its final polish.

I know the look won't appeal to some on here and I respect that. For those of you who do like a bit of bling, I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Appeals to Me.

Perhaps let us know what "Polisher" you are using?

Good work.

B

EDIT: This is somewhat :oops: in that I needed to do some pruning and tidy up.........
03032015026.jpg
03032015025.jpg
The answer to the question is "I have absolutely no idea"!

Parts only motor as block cracked but still no excuse aye.

Poor thing is now under scrutiny as to what is what.................................under cover.

B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce! I'm shaking my head in disbelief :roll: Poor little Anzani has been neglected for god knows how long :cry:

So are you ready to hear about my polisher? Well here goes :lol:

It is 2 x 4" polishing pads driven by 18V Cordless Makita Drill.

As with anything, it's all about preparation. To go from sand cast to high polish aluminium, I start with a file and progress to sandpaper, 120 grit to begin with stepping up slowly to 1000 grit. Aim with each increase in grit is to remove the scratches left by the previous. After sanding with 1000, I'll attached a 4" cutting pad to the Makita and use the grey polish. Once I'm reasonably happy with the finish left by that I'll move to the softer 4" polishing pad and the white polish. I then finish off with a soft cloth and liquid polish. Lots and lots of hours of manual work.

If you look closely at the above pics, you'll see the polishing job thus far is far from perfect. The many little black lines and spots are polish that hasn't been removed and dried hard. I'll attend to all of that after reassembly is complete, cause at the moment I'm just leaving grease and oils stains on everything as I reassemble.

I doubt that I will ever do the same again. As stated this was supposed to look really pretty and be kept indoors but all that's changed now.
notav8

Post by notav8 »

You are doing a Great Job.
I am curious about your Comment " Its supposed to Look really pretty, and be kept indoors, but all that has changed now"
It definitely looks Pretty, and you can't leave it outdoors, can you. :?
You may need to build a Glass Display Cabinet to put it in. :lol:
Keep up the Great Work.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

notav8 wrote:You are doing a Great Job.
I am curious about your Comment " Its supposed to Look really pretty, and be kept indoors, but all that has changed now"
It definitely looks Pretty, and you can't leave it outdoors, can you. :?
You may need to build a Glass Display Cabinet to put it in. :lol:
Keep up the Great Work.
Cheers
Well, there's about 18 of them now all fighting for that indoor (office) position.

Easy solution is to say NO to all of them :lol:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Well managed to find the missing bag of bits and have progressed the rebuild.

What I found however is that she was real difficult to turn, even with a 12" ring spanner hanging off the flywheel nut. Initially though the rings were not seated correctly, but careful removal of the barrel revealed they were. Just on the off-chance one had moved into the correct position during the barrel removal process, I reassembled again only to find she still did not want to budge.

That got me about the replacement conrod, so off with the barrel and the piston. I tried re-inserting the gudgeon only to find that I had an interference fit instead of a clearance fit. On closer inspection I could also see some marks and distortion around the hole. Started by deburing the edges and found that was enough to allow the gudgeon to slide through nicely. You ripper I thought, so I reassembled the lot only to find it was better but not right.

After a few smokes and a bit of a think, I noticed a slight wear mark on the underside of this piston suggesting insufficient lateral movement of the piston/rod ie when assembled. Decided to file approx. 0.5mm from either side of the little end on the rod reassembled and all perfect now. Little end is still much wider than the big end. All of this leads me to believe the conrod had been repaired at some stage and not finished correctly. Anyway it's all good now.

Only things left to do is order the bolts, replace the outer on the throttle cable, decide on topcoat color for the tank, reassemble and repolish the lot.

Decals will happen when they happen. I'm in no hurry.
Collector Inspector

Rod may be deformed.

See you Saturday...............road trip to see Steve is on me.

Speak soon aye.

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

As usual, you're right on the money B.

Rod sits flat but little end has been drilled ever so slightly off square. Definitely a repaired job. Not overly fussed as I don't think it'll ever see water. I just like them to go if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to getting over there and catching up with you guys.

Am changing accommodation for Friday night from Joondalup to Mandurah. Idea is to get an early(ish) start ie to minimise impact on Steves day. It is his wedding anniversary after all :oops:

Ride from Joondalup to Mandurah has been organised. As soon as I've booked the hotel, I'll forward details to you. Might even shout you breakfast if you're keen lol

A rummage through Steve's shed on Saturday. Can't think of much better.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Cool Dude!

It will be a good day out.

Mandurah is a nice spot by the way. Weather will be perfect to show it off.

Catchya

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

New head bolts arrived yesterday allowing me to progress the Pilot just that little bit further.

Tank has been repaired and has been in primer for months now. I'm yet to buy the top coat and have the decals printed, but thought I'd sit in position for a look see.

Next update will be as completed.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

Good Work!

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »