Latest Old Dear

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: Latest Old Dear

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:
Please reply with any photos of what you expect to be buying for 450. You can use this topic for that not a problem.
Thanks for the great information/advice. Much appreciated.

Made a 90km round trip to get some photos. I guess this 'thing' is an obsession after all. Anyway, here goes.

I now have him at $360, but even at that I think its still too much ie based on condition and your advice above.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Thank You for the reply and pics after your road trip. By the pics here is my 2 cents worth.

The Good:

It has not been molested and basically all there apart from the sparkplug cover.
The propeller and nut are original
The stains around the gearbox means it has lubricant within
The coolant piping is all there and complete
The stains on top rear of the barrel exhaust inspection plate indicate it has been well lubed when last running
I see no indication of barrel rust or cracks in the usual places
The barrel core plugs appear flat so maybe no corrosion within
The Head is in the original position slash orientation
The fuel tank is original showing the remains of decals
It has ALL of its ID plates in good condition
The rope sheave is correct as it has the engine number stamp. I see no reason why it would have been changed in the past
The carry handle is the correct one for the later production that is (Like mine at start)
There is still paint on the gearbox skeg/fin and the blades of the prop appear to be of little issue
The tiller, while drooping is correct with proper adjustment fastener.
The throttle lever is correct.
Most important the carby is complete. It has still the float chamber cap and the mixture screw.

The really not that bad actually

Sometime in the past, maybe a long time ago it did not run for someone.
The carb has been removed and refitted poorly
The sparkplug cover had to be removed to get to the spark plug................cover now missing.
I suggest that an ignition problem has not been resolved. Someone just gave up and left as it presents itself.

My thought is this is something that should be considered as one to take a general punt in getting into these. There is however a couple of things to check

Does it turn over smoothly by hand, both directions?
There should be NO noises, NO hangup or loose feeling at BDC or when the con rod changes direction top and bottom. Can be rectified but not that straight forward if anything noticeable
Some compression can be felt? Take the spark plug out and place thumb over hole etc.
Is there any sideways play on the flywheel?

If that checks out........................you may have to sort out the failure to run that a previous owner gave up on. In this case I see no big deal as to any complexity. Just patience. They do pull apart very nicely.

Price

Well, here again, depends on how you feel with my opinion from over here in Perth. Owner has come down a lot for a person wanting to do some easy bucks.

It is still a gamble just getting something like this at any time, especially when you have never ventured in this kind of thing.

I would try to get the price down further in a gentle kind of way but, if mechanically sound and I had one in a worse condition already?

I would purchase it!

Take Care

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Wow, what an excellent response. Thanks for taking the time to do that, it is very much appreciated.

Compression is good and it turns over very nicely, no binding at all. There is no sideways movement in the flywheel. Had a good look at the cylinder and head and couldn't see any signs of trouble. The fuel tank is in pretty good shape. Few scratches along the edges but no major dents. This together with the things you noted below suggests it's been reasonably well looked after.

High tension lead is missing along with the cover. One of the screws used to secure the carb is missing and the throttle & throttle cable will probably need replacing. Overall however, not in too bad a shape!

My thoughts are similar to yours. This thing most likely has an ignition fault, probably an open circuit on the secondary of the coil. Owner has had a go at troubleshooting and hasn't been able to rectify so has put aside.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on.
Collector Inspector

Your very welcome.

Please remember that they were never polished or blinged up for a restore.

Best left clean and serviced showing all of the history intact.

Sorry, just my thoughts as to future value and originality.

Best of luck and let us know how you go aye?

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:Your very welcome.

Please remember that they were never polished or blinged up for a restore.

Best left clean and serviced showing all of the history intact.

Sorry, just my thoughts as to future value and originality.

Best of luck and let us know how you go aye?

B
I tend to agree with your comments re originality, history and futue value. Heading up to Sydney tomorrow, so i won't know any more about the Seasprite until I return.

Incidentally, all the Seasprites i've ever seen are green in color, yet last night a stumbled accross this advert http://www.wheedle.co.nz/vehicle/Seaspr ... d-11015437. Still a tinge green along the edges of the flywheel, but could it have completely lost it's color or did they produce some in Silver also?
Collector Inspector

Yes, some of the early ones were painted silver. Actually the old "SilverFrost" brand.

Nasty to clean off as carcenogenic.

I do not know what year they stopped using silver but the pics attached is an example from 1947. It is my all time fav motor by the way. Very early with brass flywheel and a strange unique ignition. Lots of bronze and brass fasteners. Very first production run of them.

It runs so smoothly.

It has mechanical advance/retard/throttle mechanism. The one you just submitted was silver but with a thumb throttle cable and no advance/retard mechanism mounting hole in the casting sticking out. Also no spark plug cover. I would imagine something in transition years 1949 - 1951?

One of the pics you should be able to see the throttle/advance setup under the front of the tank. At least the throttle side.

Sadly I have not got a complete model list. Maybe never will so just going by what I can put my hands on so to speak.

I have a scanned owner manual that should cover most of the later years. Let me know.

I hope that you get one of them or both?

Great stuff indeed!

DSC03266.JPG
DSC03263.JPG
DSC03264.JPG
B[/color]
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You're w wealth of knowledge CI. Absolute champion :wink:
Collector Inspector

Misplaced childhood most likely................

:lol:

B
Collector Inspector

Hoorah!

George came thru today! All the parts ordered for the ignition were waiting for me when I got Home. SO COOL! Thank you George.

Nice parts, fit perfectly by eye. I will fit this weekend onto base plate and let you all know the return of sparks.

While waiting I got a couple of NOS KLG TF50S from Greens Spark Plugs Uk. I believe that these are correct for the later Villiers ignitions for this motor.

The earlier way back Australian magneto (Olympic etc) used Champion J8J for the Seasprite. Got some more of them from Ebay as they will be needed for other engines later.........................

Very Happy!

20140701_164516[1].jpg
[/color]B