I'm doomed! And ANNOYED. But mostly doomed.

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

TJCeeJay

I'm doomed! And ANNOYED. But mostly doomed.

Post by TJCeeJay »

Well folks, now that my 1977 40+ Mk II is purring like a big kitten. I've taken on a real humdinger of a new restoration project. I wouldn't need to be restoring it if some morons hadn't left it sitting on the rocks just below the high tide level for three days, but there ya have it; some people are just idiots. A few years ago it was running like it just came from the factory. Two years ago, some work was being done on the boat it was attached to, and to be "helpful" a couple of land lubbers took off the motor and set it on some rocks so the boat could be flipped over and the hull patched. The guy doing the patching didn't notice where they put the motor until a few days later, and by then, the damage was done. What am I talking about you ask? A 1961 Homelite 55 HP 4 cycle outboard. The FIRST factory 4 stroke outboard made. And until that unfortunate incident involving imbeciles; it ran like new. I intend to get it back to that condition as soon as possible! Here's a few shots of the beastie.

"Fortunately" the water never went past the lower carburetor, so none of the electricals were submerged. But the lower carb will absolutely need a rebuild since there is a whole crap-load of salt in it.

Surprisingly I was able to find and download a basic service manual for it. And there is full shop manual available on eBay; which of course I'm going to grab at first opportunity! And while the Homelite 55 doesn't have quite the following that Seagull do, it has it's share of obsessed aficionados who keep stocks of as many parts for the motor as is available today. Of course, I'm hoping I'm not gonna be needing many of those parts, but it's good to know they're out there.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd let ya's in on my new project.

Cheers!
If it's stuck; force it. If it breaks; it needed replacing anyways.
Keith.P

Re: I'm doomed! And ANNOYED. But mostly doomed.

Post by Keith.P »

Something different, pretty much only sold in the US from 1961 to 1972, It seems to be in inboard motor that has been turned into an outboard motor.
Should be interesting to see, not the first factory four stroke outboard though, maybe in the US.
TJCeeJay

Post by TJCeeJay »

Hiyo! Yup, it sure is different! That's why I like it. No electronics, and a super simple design. Not as simple as a Seagull, but not much of anything is lucky enough to be as awesomely simple as a Seagull! lol!

And yup, it was an inboard first; actually it was an automobile engine first (Crosley) then converted to an inboard. (Then to an outboard.) lol! Are ya sure it wasn't the first factory 4 stroke outboard? I have spent hours looking, and the only other manufacturer stated to be the first factory 4 stroke outboard ever is Honda in 1965. The Homelite beats that by 4 years! What would be the first? You've got me curiosity piqued!

Cheers!
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

My 1950's four stroke twin, only two cylinder http://www.wytewych.co.uk/coventry-victor.html
phil

Post by phil »

Looks like an interesting project. These motors have a fair following in the Antique Outboard Motor Club.
I think you will find lots of help and expertise on this motor if you post there.

www.aomci.org

Ask a member is the section of the forum to ask your questions.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

4-strokes go way back, some of you may even remember when they came out :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Sharland in the hot stuff thread is 4 stroke as is it's 14 & 18 hp little brothers & that's circa 1930.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Not forgetting the Roness, a horizontally opposed twin, four stroke side valve with exposed pushrods, water cooled. Late 1920s I think. Wonderful machinery 8)
Attachments
Roness 1.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Roness was only built in 1928, powerhead was built by J. A. Prestwich as a 4hp twin & an 8hp quad.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
TJCeeJay

Post by TJCeeJay »

Cool old engines! Thank ya's all! Now, one of you had better go pay Wikipedia a visit and correct their "Outboard" page. :mrgreen: Honestly, there is NO information out there on the first 4-stroke outboards. And everything I could find pointed to the Homelite. So, I stand corrected! :D Sit corrected, actually! :wink:

And hey! Thanks for the link Phil! I'll add it to my bookmarks for the Homelite. I've already been in contact with THE source for information on Homelite 55's; "BearcatBill" otherwise know as billr, or BillR Roberts from FiberGlassics forum. And he also runs a couple websites of his own dedicated to old Homelites and Bearcats. (What Homelites became after the design was sold.) He's got every manual, and most of the parts one could ever need to rebuild one of those beasties, so I'm in great hands!

Anyhoo, thanks for all the responses guys! And again, those are some seriously cute little 4 stroke outboards!

Cheers!
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Good luck bringing back to life your outboard. Remembers me once (and last time) that I lend my inflatable with a 2stroke 15hp. Some "fellow" fishermen remove one plug because the friends of mine were catching their fish! My boat starting loosing air and luckily the engine didn't go fully submerged. But I understand that it can be horrific especially when you care after the engine a lot or when it's a special engine such in your occasion.

By the way great engines appeared regarding the subject of the first 4strokes.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
kees

Post by kees »

Don`t forget the oldest one ( I think ) Evinrude 4-stroke from 1916-1917
and Penta from Sweden made also a model in the 1930 ties

regards, Kees