Sea Bee Model 3 problem

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

robhc1000

Sea Bee Model 3 problem

Post by robhc1000 »

I finally have a replacement throttle cable and carb top made up for the carb kindly supplied to me by Keith P, the carb will just not fit onto engine, the pipe is 16mm and carb is a maxium of 15mm, it does not look like it should have an adapter.
Any ideas please??
Attachments
20140226_115946.jpg
Stelios_Rjk

Re: Sea Bee Model 3 problem

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Is this a suitable carb for this engine?
You could widen the carb a little bit to fit. 0.5mm of the carb's walls would do the job but it has to be done precisely for a tight fit. But I don't know if that would be a acceptable, you know if geometry changes on a carb problems may occur.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Stelios_Rjk wrote:Is this a suitable carb for this engine?
You could widen the carb a little bit to fit. 0.5mm of the carb's walls would do the job but it has to be done precisely for a tight fit. But I don't know if that would be a acceptable, you know if geometry changes on a carb problems may occur.
As far as im aware the carb is correct, its the same one as on the Minor model but needle is set differently.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Since Keith is more experienced in the matter he would be able to tell whether widening is acceptable or not. But have to be sure that you will widen the carb equally.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Don't say that, it sounds like I know something.
The carb was off a Mk2 I scrapped , as one seabee in a collection is more than enough, why the carb would be smaller I don't know, but it is.
shistlepot

Post by shistlepot »

You don't think you would be better off to take a bit of the engine pipe, its probably easier.
Ed
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Keith.P wrote:Don't say that, it sounds like I know something.
The carb was off a Mk2 I scrapped , as one seabee in a collection is more than enough, why the carb would be smaller I don't know, but it is.
I am sorry Keith, I didn't want to sound this way. Maybe a translation error.

If I was in robhc1000 place I would have probably done the modification. I have run a century (villiers stub) fitting an amal carb and over there there is a lot more difference in diameters. The combination worked so 15mm to 16mm is a small difference regarding the example above.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

I'm not experienced enough to start modifying the pipes, will have to put model 3 on the back burner until I can source suitable carb.
Many thanks for you help gents.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I saw a mk2 down the road up from me for £25, but I didn't need another, they do come along pretty often, so I hope you get your parts and finish it off.

But saying that I did a silly thing today, I just bought another one, after some haggling, it was missing some parts, but I already have most of them which helps, but even though I have seen this model somewhere before, I don't know what model it is.
Its supposedly a runner, but needs some TLC.