British Anzani Minor information and parts wanted

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Jan

British Anzani Minor information and parts wanted

Post by Jan »

During my UK trip last month I acquired a British Anzani Minor (MkII) from a SOS forum member.

This model was on my wish list for a long time and I’m very pleased with the Minor.

It has the shape of a wooden clog and as you know we all wear wooden clogs and live in a windmill in Holland (except me).

A few points are the missing tiller arm, damaged thread of filler cap and fuel tank and modified prop.

Luckily the compression is good, it has a spark and the cowling is present.

Does anybody have/know Minor parts for sale and information like instruction manual and parts list?

I don’t think the stop button on my Minor is original, any suggestions?
PA070144.JPG
PA070145.JPG
PA070147.JPG
Thanks in advance,

Jan
david

Re: British Anzani Minor information and parts wanted

Post by david »

Jan, I had one in the sixties, when I were but a lad.....no idea what happened to it, so I am not going to be much help there!
I remember watching the choke mechanism fly into the canal when I unscrewed it too far. Very embarrassing.
Where in Zanstaad are you?
I am in Zandaam from the 17th for a few days. If you find any bits here in England, have them posted here (Birmingham) and I can bring them over.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi David,

Thank you for the offer.

Hopefully I get some response from the forum.

My mooring is in Krommenie and very close to 't Swaentje'.

Jan
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Jan - no promises, but this weekend I'll have a rummage through my Anzani stuff and see if I have anything to help. the tiller arm is just a short length of 3/4" aluminium tube, which is attached to a single 1/4" stud (might be Whitworth thread into the tank and BSF for the knurled screw) fixing in the recess under the middle of the petrol tank - more difficult to find is the little clamp piece which is concave and toothed on one side to grip the tiller tube, and flat on the other to create a flat surface for the knurled tension screw to mate up to. this thing is only about 15mm square x 3-4mm thick. I should still have some tube left from when I did my own - cut it from some old stepladders! the handgrip was sourced from a bicycle shop (to add to the stereotype, everyone cycles in Holland and drinks Genever?) where the size fits a childs' bike.

The stop button isn't original - it is in the place where the choke pull goes. The choke outer is a rigid tube which is bent to form a curve, and wraps around between the rear of the petrol tank and the flywheel. The inner is a rigid single strand wire which has a little piece soldered onto the end at 90 degrees, to poke through a small hole in the end of the choke lever on the carburettor. All very sophisticated!

When you get it running, don't run it out of water like you can a Seagull. They run like an angry Bee, and the cylinder is so small it heats up in no time. Rick
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Rick, Thank you for the information.

I just removed the stop button and wiring from the Minor.

On the carb I found the choke lever but no tube and choke cable/wire under the cowling.
PA080151.JPG
There is a cam visible on the propshaft inside the gearbox housing just behind the prop.

I think there must be a (rubber) washer between the cam and prop?
PA080152.JPG
Jan
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Its the wobble pump, a thick rubber washer with a tag.
Its the same setup as the pilot.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hi Jan - so far I've found a tank with the cap and fuel tap on it - the thread for the cap is tight but in good condition. There is the tank bracket for the choke, but no tube or knob. Also found a propellor - a bit rounded off but correct and useable (for water skiing).
I have the rubber doughnut if you need one - or can I see the rubber in the photograph? Sometimes they get stiff, but massaging them under hot water and giving them a coating of a silicon lube normally gets them going. These pumps are very efficient.
How far are you going with this rebuild? I have a new needle roller bearing which sits immediately behind the drive pinion.

Just out of interest, does you motor have JAP cast into the upper crankcase? One of mine does, which I take to mean the powerhead was made by J A Prestwich. The crank setup is interesting - the crank runs in two roller bearings, and there are brass/bronze bushes to give crankcase sealing.

Is the carb gasket OK? Very fiddly or impossible to cut by hand - I might still be able to get replacements - these carbs were fitted to lawnmowers.

I haven't looked for the tiller tube yet - probably a weekend job! Rick
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for the parts offer, I will send you a PM.

I've found the rubber washer with tag behind the waterpump cover and it's in very good condition.

My Anzani Minor don't have JAP cast on the crankcase, only a M16XX serial number.

The power head looks and feels good so I don't want to take it apart. Very interesting to hear it has roller bearings and bushes.

The Minor power head is very tiny and as Charles L. told me it's only usable as a cocktail mixer.

I haven't check the carb gasket at the moment.

Cheers, Jan