British Anzani Class B Racer

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

lakeviewlad

British Anzani Class B Racer

Post by lakeviewlad »

Just a quick look at my (untidy) Anzani monster :oops: This needs some cleaning and a few bits but it's ALIVE! :D
I have included a 1939 Johnson MS39 1.1hp toddler as comparison :lol: When the Johnson runs it's like a gentle pulse in the water,when the Anzani runs...all hell breaks loose! :D The Anzani is on youtube if any of ye are wondering what one of these monsters sounds like :D :D
Attachments
British Anzani vs Johnson 005.JPG
British Anzani vs Johnson 003.JPG
British Anzani vs Johnson 002.JPG
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Horsley-Anarak

Re: British Anzani Class B Racer

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That is quite a beast, love the gearbox.

http://youtu.be/RYdIEn_UvLk

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That's a serious piece of equipment. :D are you going to do a full rebuild? I imagine it will go like lightning :D
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Oyster 49 wrote:That's a serious piece of equipment. :D are you going to do a full rebuild? I imagine it will go like lightning :D
Spares are the main problem,although I have another one of these in bits...yes I know,TWO Anzani racers!! :o
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

2? That's totally cool :D I'm sure parts can be found by sniffing around. That's all part of the fun. 8) do you have a boat to put the engine on?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I have one and a boat to put it on, but where can you run it?

Only 2 places in the UK that I know about, Sandy Bedfordshire & Oulton broad, but only by appointment & without it's correct exhausts, has to have a silencer like the pics.

Normally started with the prop out of the water, then dropped by the 2 guys holding the back of the hydro out of the water, then off you go up to 20mph where you will get some cooling flow as no water pump, then you'll be flying accross the lake at somewhere between 45 & 70 mph depending on the hull, fuel & the size of the pilot.

There is one of the same model in the science mueseum with a sign on it say it was the first outboard in the UK to exceed 100MPH.

In the late 50's these were the equivalent of an F1 motor, hand built & modded by the owner, most ran on methanol & Castrol R, this one sounds like it's jetted for petrol but if you want parts your going to have to find someone to make them.

Most of these ended up in the States or Scandinavia where they raced for much longer than we did.
Attachments
anzanioutboard004.jpg
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Why can you not run it? By appointment?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

By "Appointment" Perth Western Australia :lol:

SOS has come a long way over the last few years with an ever growing divergence of motors aye?

Sometimes Gulls need "Mates" to roost with.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You can't just turn up & launch you have to book a time & day & conform with the rules.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

I have no rules so pick me pick me...........only booking I need is when to pick up from the air freight terminal

:lol:

B
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Surely a quiet bit of river can be found so you can give it a quick blast?
Collector Inspector

Obviously there are RULES and Legislation to stop one from actually having a life and enjoying such things.

Sad actually aye.

We down under are just coming to grips with said Legislation and Rules Gone Mad!

May I ad that by Faceless Unknowns that have silent phone numbers and secret Emails.

B
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Charles uk wrote:I have one and a boat to put it on, but where can you run it?

Only 2 places in the UK that I know about, Sandy Bedfordshire & Oulton broad, but only by appointment & without it's correct exhausts, has to have a silencer like the pics.

Normally started with the prop out of the water, then dropped by the 2 guys holding the back of the hydro out of the water, then off you go up to 20mph where you will get some cooling flow as no water pump, then you'll be flying accross the lake at somewhere between 45 & 70 mph depending on the hull, fuel & the size of the pilot.

There is one of the same model in the science mueseum with a sign on it say it was the first outboard in the UK to exceed 100MPH.

In the late 50's these were the equivalent of an F1 motor, hand built & modded by the owner, most ran on methanol & Castrol R, this one sounds like it's jetted for petrol but if you want parts your going to have to find someone to make them.

Most of these ended up in the States or Scandinavia where they raced for much longer than we did.
Thanks for the info Charles. I enjoyed the chat the other day,a good laugh. :D Over here on Lough Erne there are few restrictions as to what boaters get up to as long as they show consideration to others on the water. There are unofficial jetski races every weekend during summer months on several parts of the lough.
I would have no problem blasting around with the Anzani. :D There is a spot near where I live which hosted hydroplane racing in the 1960s and more recently catamaran,monos and jetskis. The racing is not what it used to be but there are some "diehards" who still like to go mad most weekends... :oops:
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Oyster 49 wrote:Surely a quiet bit of river can be found so you can give it a quick blast?
We have miles of water here on Upper Lough Erne,it is a boaters paradise! :D
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Oyster 49 wrote:2? That's totally cool :D I'm sure parts can be found by sniffing around. That's all part of the fun. 8) do you have a boat to put the engine on?
It took me almost 20 years to find this one... :o We don't have a proper hydroplane anymore but there are small speedboats that will do...with a bit of luck! :)