Britannia

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Britannia

Post by Oyster 49 »

No, I don't generally. I find that a bit of oily 2 stroke mix slopped about generally works!
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

i have had my mariner running for a while now and have noticed that it smokes quite a lot, is there anything i can do to rectify this. is it a case of replacing the piston rings or will it involve a rebore, as i intend to put it back into service at some point in the future i want to be as enviromentaly friendly as possible and not upset the neighbours. what would you suggest . :?:
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

pegasus*1760 wrote:Thanks for the info. do you seal the tank with anything afterwards to prevent the rust from re accuring ?
Once rust is removed no other treatment would normally be required more than draining and dry storage as normal. Leave the fuel cap off so no condensation etc.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

i have had my mariner running for a while now and have noticed that it smokes quite a lot, is there anything i can do to rectify this. is it a case of replacing the piston rings or will it involve a rebore, as i intend to put it back into service at some point in the future i want to be as enviromentaly friendly as possible and not upset the neighbours. what would you suggest
Move next to Stelios
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Collector Inspector

skyetoyman wrote:
i have had my mariner running for a while now and have noticed that it smokes quite a lot, is there anything i can do to rectify this. is it a case of replacing the piston rings or will it involve a rebore, as i intend to put it back into service at some point in the future i want to be as enviromentaly friendly as possible and not upset the neighbours. what would you suggest
Move next to Stelios
Must be room on the balcony left?

B
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

skyetoyman wrote:
Move next to Stelios
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure!! The tenants on the ground floor will leave during Summer so the garden is waiting for you.. room for your Seagulls and trained neighbors. They may complain if you run a motor without the exhaust..!

And you could always use my test bin on the balcony :D
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

cheers. :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Your Britannia is lubricated on a total loss system i,e, pre mixed fuel.
Smoke is a given for 2-strokes, when it stops smoking, start worrying.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

"Smoke is a given for 2-strokes, when it stops smoking, start worrying."

YEP!

:(

B
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

I found myself with some spare time on my hands this weekend so i decided to have a go at making a silencer for the mariner out of brass sheeting.what do you think , to big. :oops:
Attachments
mariner silencer
mariner silencer
mariner silencer
mariner silencer
htc2 221.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 533 times
mariner silencer
mariner silencer
htc2 219.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 533 times
mariner silencer
mariner silencer
htc2 233.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 533 times
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

a few more photos in daylight, :D
Attachments
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That's a nice job? Ever considered making seagull tanks? :)
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Jeeze you brits make north americans look like school children when it comes to fabrication.
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

Hi Dave,thanks for the comment but it was not my intension to belittle anyone, my father was a toolmaker by trade and his hobby was building model steam engines and when he passed 2 years ago he left my brother and i the contents of his workshop , i got his lathe and a milling machine and my brother got the rest being the oldest son. i also recieved a sheet metal roller for the bench top which i have never used before but this weekend i decided to have a go at rolling sheet brass ,i then turned up some end blanks on the lathe and what you see in the photos is the end product i am very pleased with the end result as it is my first attempt at fabrication . regards steve
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

Hi, does anyone know the prop size for the swordfish and the mariner, are they the same size !. the mariner sits on a reduction gearbox of 2:1 is the swordfish geared the same.