Bermuda's Round the Island Seagull Race 2018

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

NaughtyBits

Bermuda's Round the Island Seagull Race 2018

Post by NaughtyBits »

Just in case anyone feels like taking a well-timed vacation...?

"Save the Date – June 16 – (Rain date June 23)

Race Venue – Sandys Boat Club (June 16)"
NaughtyBits

Re: Bermuda's Round the Island Seagull Race 2018

Post by NaughtyBits »

29432333_10156250032062813_5590356177826741905_n.jpg
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I would love to join you.
How long do you think it would take to get there in my 20 footer? Maybe if I leave now! :lol:

Problem is I don't have a passport ( I have never had one).
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't think you'll need one, if you just turn up in a Seagull boat with a Century on the back, no one will even suspect you've come via Panama!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

If you're able to swing a trip over, we can find a motor & boat for you to use...
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Worth the trip..!
RISR 2018 shirt 2.jpg
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Worth the trip..!
:P
The Girls don't ride in the boats like that round here :shock: ( wish they would!) :P
"THE KING OF BLING"!
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Well, it doesn't happen often - but occasionally we do have some kindly ladies to liven up the race.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Did it run on the rain date? someone post the results if it did, Please.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

looking on face book the race did run, but no pics or info yet!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Michael

Post by Michael »

The race did happen, it was rough, many opted to not start, many others failed to finish for a variety of reasons. Couple videos on the Bermuda Seagull Racing page on FB. I have several videos on my own page, but this you need to be my friend to see them.
thcl500j6

Post by thcl500j6 »

Race Results and infoBig thanks to John Crighton.

Morning all, here is the race report and results for the RISR in Bermuda held on 23/24th June ... cheers John C

First of all – to the people who made the race a success – THANK YOU – especially to Heineken for sponsoring us with beer and prizes etc – Rubis Energy for subsidizing our crashboats and to the crashboats themselves for doing such an awesome job.

Crashboats were (in no particular order) – Tom Wadson, Channel Aicardi, David Sheen, Kim & Chester Sheen, Michael Smith/Chris Farrow, Slim, David Shadbolt, Cameron Bridgewater and Jason Bracewell. There were a few extra who were out there – I did not catch them – but thank you.

Thanks to - Kirk Wilks of Wilks Catering for keeping our catering costs down and for providing such a wonderful spread; Sara Lewter for providing our great music; Sandys Boat club for waking up early (Corry & Maureen – thank you) and for being the hosts for the day, Hans Hirschi for designing the Heineken shirt design, and all the people/companies who gave us freebies to either give out as prizes or donate towards T shirt designs/freight costs ( the latter - Fast Forward Freight for the freight and the design of the shirt - PB Wingate) Prizes were donated by Keen, Livio’s restaurants of the West End, Bolero, Redlaser, PW’s Marine, Robin Hood, Jason Dennis of Serpentine Liquors, Supermart, PortOCall, Court Street Liquors, Marine Locker and Stuart Joblin of Makin’ Waves.

Please do not forget the hardworking committee - Michael Bean, Corry Kowalchuk, Stephen Roberts, Brian Lightbourn and Jason Semos. They work hard to try and deal with technical issues; make decisions on the race course/rain dates; getting donations towards prizes etc. and getting roped into the prize presentations!!!

See link for photos taken by Mike Chilvers – they look really good – thanks Mike

http://www.highwater.bm/wphome/?page_id=4739

Michael Anfossi took a go-pro around – a full version is available on his Facebook page – it is too big to load here.

I attach the results with times – you will note that there are some yellows – this marks people who did not check in with me – so I have no clue when they left – and some whose return times (if applicable) were not recorded – or they went home and did not call me. If you want to fill in the gaps – please send me your details and I will update the spreadsheet.

OK – race report – as everyone knows – a front was coming through the Friday night of the original race date – so safety concerns made it go to the rain date….

Rain day – with the winds forecast from the southwest at 10-15k – it was deemed do-able. Unfortunately – the swell on South Shore was rather large – so all the boats were slower than normal and it was very hard going. Luckily – we had quite a lot of crash boats who were going all the way around. The winds increased during the day – and caused quite a few upsets. North Shore was also choppy – so there was not much respite on the way home…

FINAL DETAILS:

81 was the final number of boats registered for the day (91 is the record) Of these 8 people did not show up due to the weather and 1 did not start.

The remainder of the boats certainly arrived at the start line determined to go. Unfortunately not everyone checked in with me at the start – so I had a few people reporting in as broken down – or finishing – with us having no record of them participating in the race – I had previously marked them in as a no show. Please note that you have to check in – for safety purposes – so that we know that you are out on the racecourse.

Because south shore was claiming its victims and north shore being what it was – we had a lot of DNF’s – some were not because of breakdowns – but they decided to just go home and not come back to the club by boat. 5 boats did not complete the course but arrived back! The two Class G3 – Sports with a pipe decided not to risk their boats and engines on South Shore – so came back and had some fun running around the waters around the club – which probably was the only flat sea around yesterday.

So – I have 31 boats completing the course.

First boat to report themselves broken down – was Slipper 1 – Corry Kowalchuk. I think that he should just keep the trophy at home – but it was rather funny to watch him tow in the only other committee member to race – Jason Semos in Innapropriate. Next year’s shirt design!!!

Hotspur with Robert Percy and Ellie would have come first in his class – but he forgot the rule – no bridges – did not remember that the course goes around Dockyard so thought he had done well when he came into the club. I told him that he should go back out and complete the course – but unfortunately by then – he had broken something in his engine as he tried to stop the engine – so it would not go again…. Oh well….

Boobie Trap and its captain and crew Shelby Alyssa Nicole and Meghan – unfortunately had an incident at Spittal Pond area – when the engine stopped and they could not start it again with the boat going onto the boilers – and flipping in the end due to the waves. They were eventually rescued – and rather shaken arrived back at the club. I hope that this does not stop you from racing. You were not supposed to re-enact the Tshirt design this year!! You were supposed to drive the opposition onto the rocks – not yourselves!

James Anfossi was well on the road to zooming around the island in his Unlimited New engine – unfortunately his boat was too light for the south shore pounding and a hole appeared – so he pulled into Tuckers Town beach …. Next year James…

Wasted Seaman – Chris Hands – won the best named boat prize – in addition to being able to claim that he went around on the race day as well as the rain date. Unfortunately his engine was not as faithful to him as the week before as he broke down finally in the Sound.

We had a lot of new and young people racing this year – some of whom did not finish due to breakdowns – but notably those who did were Lindsay Pacheco, Emily Cabral + another; Lucas Bridges and Casey Truran; Ronnie Dzurus and Mike Woytowicz. (Sorry if I have missed anyone else)

The prize giving was very funny – especially Michael Bean being rousted for not racing on his birthday and being doused in beer!!! Thanks Corry for being a great MC.

I also must apologise to Mark Selley – he came second in his class – not De Cruiza that I inadvertently allocated it to. I have corrected it on the attached result sheet. I was unfortunately continually being interrupted by the phone going with people calling in etc – so my maths obviously gave up on me…. The Selleys came 1st and 2nd!!!

The committee will be meeting later on to discuss various issues that came up over the day – and we will do what is necessary to keep you all safe each year.

My hats off to you all. Without you – there would have been no race!!!!

It is great to see such enthusiasm and see new faces every year. Let it get under your skin and do this on an annual basis – think of the fun, the achievement – and most importantly – giving to a local charity and continuing a tradition that will last as long as the engines do!!!!!

Our profits from the race totaled $7,800 – so we will donate $8,000 to the Bermuda Sloop – this wonderful increase is due to the number of boats registered for both dates and the people who could not race the rain date still donated their fees to the profits – thank you very much!!!!!

2019 Venue – Spanish Point Boat Club…. Dates to be confirmed

ROUND THE ISLAND SEAGULL RACE TROPHIES

LINE HONOURS Blake C Hill Memorial trophy Just a little SawSea - Rees Fletcher
all boats

Fastest elapsed time Gray Cup Ghost - Michael Anfossi
(excl. classes F, G)
(New & Old stock motors)
1st boat across the line with a Prop Spring Trophy Vitamin H - Zander Dill
Prop Spring (A, B, C, D, E1A, E1B, E2, H)

Fastest elapsed time -Prop Spring Lightbourn Trophy Antipodean Jezebel - Lucas Bridges
Prop Spring & stock Old engine (A, B, E1A, E1B, H)

1st Class D Peter Moran Memorial Trophy Fleainde Scene - Happy Henderson

First Trad. Wood dinghy to go around Chummy Trophy Friendship - Keith Bridges

First all female crew Harrison/Williams Shield PB and Jen Wingate - Sheweed
to cross the line
Fastest Time with an Chrome Pulley Antipodean Jezebel - Lucas Bridges
old engine (Classes A, B, E1, H)

1st E1B - under 16 non wood dinghy Burners Cup (no Name) Kenny Matthees Dnnielle Lightbourn

Fastest Sports (not modified) Anfossi Marine Shield Just a little SawSea - Rees Fletcher

Fastest Sports (modified) Hugh Blackwood Shield N/A

Best dressed boat Douglas Anfossi Memorial Cup Fleainde Scene - Happy Henderson

First "Berry" boat across line The Berry Old Motor trophy Sheweed - PB Wingate
2nd "Berry" boat across line CNK Huckleberry Trophy Plain Vanilla Jeffrey Benevides

1st Sandys BC member in a dinghy Sandys trophy Plain Vanilla Jeffrey Benevides

1st G3 - Sports with pipe Shield N/A

1st Boat reported broken down The Na Work on Sunday trophy Slipper 1 Corry Kowalchuk

Ugliest engine Kowalchuk Smeagol Trophy Aaron Fenn Slayton Outerbridge

Last Dinghy (wood/other) across line at 5pm CNK Dinghy Oar Temerity Nick Ingham

Fishing Trophy - LONGEST FISH Pepto on theRun - Justin Lindo
Class Trophy Name of Boat Captain Old Record
A 3 hours 34 mins - TIED - 2005 Octagee/2010 & 2013 Naughty Bits
Under 16' 1st Fat Bottomed Gulls Matt Hayden
Old Engine 2nd Pepto on the Run Justin Lindo
(Stock) 3rd Not given

B 3 hours 10 mins 2015 In de Pink
Over 16' 1st Antipodean Jezebel Lucas Bridges
Old Engine 2nd Twisted Limey Donny Canton
(Stock)

C 2 hours 43 Min 2015 A Lil Slippery
Under 16' NEW ENGINE (Stock) 1st Ghost Michael Anfossi
2nd Scatter Actions Harold Conyers
D Peter Moran Memorial Trophy 2 hours 40 mins 2014 Slippery
Over 16' 1st FleaindeScene Happy Henderson
New Engine 2nd
(Stock) 3rd
E 1 A 6 hours 37 minutes Memory 2005
Trad dinghy WOOD boat 1st Friendship Keith Bridges
Old Engine 2nd If you see Kay Chris Kulmala
Engine Stock

E 1 B 4 hours 45 minutes - Quantum 2005
Trad dinghy - not wood 1st (No name) Kenny Mathees
Old Engine 2nd 111 Leo Jordan
Engine Stock 3rd Sheeweed PB Wingate
E 2 4 hours 40 mins 2010 Recession Ride
Trad dinghy NEW ENGINE (STOCK) 1st N/A
2nd
F 2 hours 25 mins 2002 - All Wood - Brennan & 2008 AllWood Charles Large
Any boat - Old or new engine - Unlimited 1st N/A

G1 Sports Racing Game Over - 2 hours 7 mins 2011
Any boat 1st Bass Pro David Selley
Sports Engine 2nd Longa Knots Mark Selley
(Stock)
G 2 Sports Cruisin NO RECORD TO SET! Cruising
Any boat - Sports Engine Stock 1st Just a little Sawsea Rees Fletcher
2nd Ruby Patrick & Ozzie
G 3 Sports Racing MODIFIED 1 hr 37 min 2015 Get over it
Any boat - SPORTS ENGINE - MODIFIED 1st N/A
H 1 SMALL ENGINE
Any boat - SMALL ENGINE 1st N/A

Other Prizes

Best Boat Name Wasted Seaman - Chris Hands

1st boat to break down Slipper 1 - Corry Kowalchuk

Best performance from a novice (flag) Lucas Bridges and Casey Truran

Best dressed Captain & crew Spencer Woods and Ben Bernado

LAST boat over the line by prize giving Temerity - Nick Ingham

Youngest captain and crew age combined/average Rayne Kowalchuk & Alex McPhee (16 16 )

THANKS TO :
Heineken/Burrows Lightbourn
Rubis Energy for sponsoring Crash Boats, and the Crash boats themselves for their time etc
Wilks Catering for the food and keeping the price low.
Sara Lewter for the DJ and music
Boat Club for hosting the race
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 THCL EFNRL - 1986
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks for that Thcl, I think 31 out of 81, paints a very good picture & makes Michael's time even more impressive!
Michael

Post by Michael »

There has been one change to the prizes. The Blake Hill trophy for line honours has now been awarded to me. Those racing with a sport engine are not eligible for this trophy. Rees, who was originally awarded this trophy, was running a Sport engine.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That makes your achievement even more impressive, well done!