KSR1100

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

dandrews

Re: KSR1100

Post by dandrews »

IMG_1516.jpg
Showing misalignment of bolt holes and undersize port on inner exhaust

IMG_1515.jpg
Bolt holes aligned - due to the undersize port on the inner exhaust the rotational misalignment barely affects the port overlap.

What fun!
dandrews

Re: KSR1100

Post by dandrews »

Not KSR1100, which is still in bits, but my Osprey OS136E8 which I am testing on my 12 foot Portabote. First time out it ran well for about 2 minutes then stopped suddenly. Restarted after a few minutes of cursing and priming then ran well for another 2 minutes. Seemed like fuel starvation. Cleaned the carb, filters, fuel lines, and tank breather (again) which was better next time out but still stopped after a longer period. Solved the problem by taking the tank cap off.

Recalling earlier threads where Charles suggested swapping the Amal 416 for a 420 to give the Osprey some more "oomph", and H-A commented on the difficulty of getting enough fuel from a gravity-fed tank to these engines at full chat, I decided to go the whole hog and fit the fuel pump and carb off KSR1100, so now we basically have a pumped kingfisher with an osprey prop. It is all "straight out of the box" no other modifications or tweaks. Standard tank, not remote.

The higher fuel pressure from the pump resulted in the devil's own job getting the amal banjo bolt head to seal on the banjo despite the right washers / seal. Could not tighten enough for fear of stripping the thread. In the end a blob of Granville LockThread from Halfords under the bolt head seems to have done the trick.

Took her out on the River Deben last Friday. With just me aboard (90kg) we managed 7kts with the tide, 6 knots against. Speed maxes out at 3/4 throttle and 3900 / 4000 rpm.

You can see from the photos that the boat is a little stern heavy, and speed depends hugely on fore & aft trim, hence the tiller extension (which needs to be longer still) so I can sit on the middle seat. I think I might raise the engine by an inch. Next step it to try her out 2-up.

Pictures / Videos here https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0pGfnH8tGtglXe

Sorry about the camera work - I do not have enough hands / arms to do it all. But it was a fun hour on the water.