8-10ft GRP clinker style??

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Ricko

8-10ft GRP clinker style??

Post by Ricko »

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse but I'm now thinking about craft to suit the Seagull 40 Plus that I'm reassembling
I'm currently doing a cheap resto on a 16ft cruiser (Yeoman Cougar, complete wreck but cost nothing) and seem to have amassed a few motors.
I'm thinking of something that could go on the roof of my van for taking up to Scotland for lochs, calm sea lochs, estuary etc, maybe a 8-10ft clinker style GRP dinghy. I'm well over 6 ft myself and getting a bit heavy in latter middle age! I'd only want to have room for two people including myself.
Is my thinking realistic?
How much should I be budgeting?
I don't mind knocking up a trailer for something a touch bigger, just need to work out where it'll be stashed!
Hugz

Re: 8-10ft GRP clinker style??

Post by Hugz »

I have a van too and have always considered a nesting dinghy as a good option ie a 12 footer with two bulkheads in the middle and cut in half between the bulkheads and then bolted together for use. One part will need to be a bit longer than the other. Probably plans on net. Fibreglass is very heavy to lift on roof. I have an inflatable metzeler which l throw in my van. 9ft and very stable and lives in a cupboard when not in use. Car battery powered pump inflates it.

I have a little 7ft clinker that l keep on a shire rack next to the water a few minutes drive from me. Good for mucking around but too small for longer trips. It stands up in the rack on its transom which has stuffed it but will probably be replaced with a 10ft ali punt or similar.

I'm very slowly restoring a 12 ft clinker on a trailer. I would prefer trailer to car topper. And then there is a a little folding boat l have but l think it is a little too delicate for a gull.
Ricko

Post by Ricko »

Hmmm, thanks for your reply Hugz, lots to think about. I might be better with 10ft and a small lightweight trailer, like you say anything less is not up for the adventure. An inflatable might also be a solution for throwing in the van for a quick trip. I like the idea of the Seagull having its own tank, saves the problem of a tank and fuel line. I'll have to see what comes along...
croweater

Post by croweater »

You will have a lot of fun with a small dinghy some of the old GRP dinghies are heavy, have been thinking about another 10 footer for myself the old girl I have is very heavy I struggle to get it on a trailer. There are many styles around something similar to Stephens that was at the 2016 Nationals would be ideal, look in here http://www.mediafire.com/download/br1c8 ... _issue.pdf I know he is still using it regularly. John
chris

Post by chris »

What do you think of portabotes
croweater

Post by croweater »

Would love one, I don't like the price tag.
John