Finally found a little Clinker

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JERSEYMAN

Finally found a little Clinker

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Hello all,

I finally found a period little clinker dinghy, 12ft and watertight as it was still on a mooring, it came up for sale with a modern 15hp Yam, when I asked if he would sell the boat separately the seller told me all the money was for the motor and the boat I could have for £80 and he knew someone selling a trailer for £50, the deal was done without a haggle. When I got home I had a really good look around her and found no damage or rot, all she really needs is a really good sanding and varnishing, will look nice with a seagull on the back :D

My only concern is that I know relatively little about clinker boats apart from the basics, can anyone recommend a good book on restoring and looking after these boats? Thank you.

Rene
bobbybob

Re: Finally found a little Clinker

Post by bobbybob »

magnifique!!!
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

What a find, looks fantastic. Santa came early to you, that's for sure.
Get on the web there's sure to be scores of useful tips and help.

Cracking buy!!!
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Little open boats cannot be given away here, I have been using a little 12ft fibreglass dinghy in nice condition which I have been trying to sell for the last month, complete with trailer, the starting price was only £200, no interest then down to £100, still no interest, last week down to £50 ono nothing not a single call, I have just noticed that one of the tyres on the trailer has gone down and it is just not worth getting it repaired :shock:

So it's of no surprise when a little wooden boat that would need maintenance in the future sells for so little.

If any of you guys want a free 12ft fibreglass dinghy with a trailer, you are welcome to come and get it, in fact it could fit on the roof of a car and I will dump the trailer,

Sad to have to dump the whole lot otherwise, sign of the times I guess :o

Rene
phil

Post by phil »

That is a great little boat it would likely be the equivalent of £ 500 here, at least.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You stole that Rene!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Whats your tipple Rene? I'm having a pint of it! First a barn full out old machinery and a rare Marston, now a boat to go with it. Amazing! Well done.

My advice with the clinker boat is to strip all the old varnish off, do any minor repairs and revarnish. There are some very good epoxy varinishes around now. Then use it! Avoid leaving water collecting on the inside but I would think it would be better to store outside, covered but away from frost. If the wood dries out too much it will shrink and start to leak.

Nice!
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Thanks for the advise, sort of what I looking to do,

Quite a sad state of affairs over here if I'm honest, a real throw away society, everything now has to be shiny and new. Restorers here are few and far between, old boys are getting older and younger ones cannot be bothered, friends of mine think I'm nuts tinkering with old seagulls "what do you want to do that for" and don't get me started on the "smokes a lot, cannot be very Eco friendly" brigade who change their outboards every year or two. Moan Done :(

Anyway, I'm very happy with the boat and cannot wait to get started on it, I will post some photos as I get on with it and always keen on what advise you guys can offer,

Thanks

Rene.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If it isn't broke it shouldn't need fixing, find an old boy & ask him the questions.
Does it have a makers plate?
What sort of timber?
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Nice one! Sound looking wee boat,will look fantastic with a Seagull attached. :) Perhaps it was built in your locality,that would be a bonus. :)
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
kevinemery

Post by kevinemery »

Rene
You need to have a talk to your "smokes a lot, cannot be very Eco friendly" brigade who change their outboards every year or two.
The carbon footprint of a Seagull is going to be so low compared to a new outboard that they should be embarrassed.
Up to half a cars carbon footprint is in the manufacturing process based on a 100,000 mile lifetime. Running your car after it has reached the 100,000 miles actually reduces its footprint. I cant see why it would be any different with outboards.
They may pollute more than a modern outboard but their carbon footprint must be so low that it out-ways this.

Kevin
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Indeed Kevin. On our side of the pond, where SUVs are common, the manufacturing carbon footprint can be 5x the tailpipe carbon load.
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
Double Dutch

Post by Double Dutch »

Hi Rene,
great boat you have.
You got it nearly for free, we Dutch like that. I payed lots fore for mine.
I like wooden boats. I have 2 now, my other is a 19ft clinker build with an inboard, but to be converted to steam power.
My 11ft sails very wel with one of my outboards. Both boats are sealed with a polymer sealant and are both water tight.
I am not keen on epoxy coatings, just Polymer sealant and Owatrol D1.
I have them both on a trailer, so the won't see water very often.
Wkr DD
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

I bought myself to a clinker last week also! They must be coming back in fashion!
20140813_210004.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Do I see Kauri there?