first boat build

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

davecarole

first boat build

Post by davecarole »

Hi i am building my first boat soon, i have almost decided on the rye bay by Stanley Smallcraft
i am not sure if its the 8 footer or the 10.
I am leaning towards the 8 footer simply because its going to have to go on top of the car

but I wonder what sort of weight the 8 footer will take, i am nearly 17 stone and the wife says she is about ten :shock:
also has any one else built a rye bay and what do they think
i may not go with marine ply as it will be out of the water more than in it, but i have been told marine as well as being stronger is lighter too
so that may swing it,
i will be running with 40 plus and a feather weight
any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Dave
denchen

Re: first boat build

Post by denchen »

Did you build your boat and how did you get on?.
davecarole

Post by davecarole »

hi denchen, no i never did,
due to illness i had to put it on the back burner ,
i have decided on a better inflatable .
we are looking at ebay and waiting for the right one.
we decided loading a wooden boat on to the car roof
would be too much. but never say never i still keep thinking about it,
thanks for asking,
dave
denchen

Post by denchen »

Sorry to hear you have been ill, hope you are on the mend. The reason I asked is because I have nearly finished building a 10` 6`` clinker/ply tender to my own design, and my mate up the road is so impressed that he intends to have a go at one himself but at 3/4 scale, ie 8ft long. Anyway if you decide to have a go and build, let me know, you can have my sizes and easy instruction at no charge. I built a 8ft jobbie years ago, it would carry 2 adults but we used it with 3 in and it was pushing its limits. This 10ft 6in build I`m just finishing is quite light and would go on a roof, but I think you would need a lift to get it there.
davecarole

Post by davecarole »

Hi, well almost a year on and i am going to build that boat,
decided on the 10 foot Rye bay,
i will be using epoxy and am going for the gurit sp 106 slow,
think i will use the slow hardener simply because its my first build and will give me more time
sp microfibers to fillet it and fill in any mistakes (will probably be a few of them)
Looked at wickes ply but not impressed, some times its better than another time, so had a look at travis perkins
it looks ok no voids that can be seen on the edges and its made up from 3 equal thicknesses not a thick middle and wafer outsides,
so its 3 sheets of 6mm and 2 sheets of 9mm,
getting every thing else from mbfg.co.uk
i am thinking 3kg of epoxy will be about right not sure how much fillet material though
looked at 225 gm or 300gm chopped strand mat powder bound glass cloth to cover the out side but not sure
could i get away with epoxying the outside of it and then painting rather than glassing it,
if i did glass it, would i need more resin ?
if any of the boat builders on here have any advice on what i think so far it would be great feedback and i will look forward to it
any way all i need now is a dry day so i can get the ply home on the car roof,
am planning to post pictures as it progresses
dave