Murray River Boat

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Pete H

Re: Murray River Boat

Post by Pete H »

Hi Guys,
Love the sound of the Murray Run.
I would expect the Century seagulls to push that light a boat at hull speed, no worries. I have a long shaft century plus that I used to push an 18 foot trailer sailer (Hartley TS18) which had a loaded weight of close to a ton, which it did without any problems. When the wind got up to about 30 knots the Seagull struggled to make headway against it and the resulting waves, (mainly because of the windage of the Hartley's cabin), it was a bit like a floating caravan. You won't have that problem with your boat, also if you get winds like that on the river you can always take a rest day. The shore is never far away on the river.
After using the Seagull for about ten years, we got caught out in a storm with winds of about 40 knots, shelter was about two miles upwind but the Seagull could barely make headway against it and when the bows got blown off I couldn't turn back into the wind, had to go right around to gather some speed to get it facing into the wind again. Eventually we had to admit defeat and turn down wind and run for cover in that direction. This was a scary proposition as shelter was much further away and the down wind speed and danger of broaching was much greater. I had found the limit of what the seagull could reasonably do, and although I don't intentionally go out in 40 knot winds, if I get caught out I want to be able to get to the nearest shelter whether it is upwind or down. I sadly hung the seagull on the shed wall, where it still is thirty years later, and bought a 10 HP Johnson, end of problem.
So I really don't expect you to have any problems with the ability of your Century Seagulls pushing your river boats.
Good luck, bon voyage!
Pete H
Victoria, Australia
PS I sold my Hartley last year to a friend who is refurbishing it with the intention of doing a Murray trip in 2014, so I look forward hearing about your adventures.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Another long day the Trimmer has finished boat 1 and is busy sewing the panels for the other boats.

Interior

Boat 3 is on its trailer ready to go to the Trimmer first thing Monday morning.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Pete H; Thanks for the info if it starts to blow too hard we will pull into the bank. The 18’ Hartley
would make a good river boat there’s a lot of old yachts on the river (drop keel).
The guys that put out the Murray River Charts used a Hartley TS16 on their revision trip in 2001.
Still planing to leave tomorrow for Yarrawonga its going to be a busy day.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

We are heading off tomorrow morning we are not really ready but if I had another month I would still be not ready.

Tip; DO NOT try and build three boats in four months we are all tied I am looking forward to pushing off at Yarrawonga.

This will be my last post for a while thanks for the advice, help and encouragement your all top blokes.

John
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

May the force be with you!

Indeed 3 boats in 4 months sounds tricky, but the picture with the finished one looks highly rewarding!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

What you guys have achieved is remarkable. Enjoy the trip, will follow your progress 8)
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

"Bon Voyage"

Great job, wish I was coming.

H-A
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

First boat is wet, motors are being serviced and assembled from boxes of parts ready for the OFF tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Start ! Yer barstard !
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

A clean Skeg is a fast skeg, Eh ?
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

We Re not talking about what "crow eater" had to do ...... Again !
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

0930 hrs, October 25, the adventure begins.
Charge the porta potties, last pic of the group, test motors, and they are away ... Making sure they don't exceed the 8 knot speed limit !
Only 2200 Klms to go.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Bouncing a couple of messages .....

(day 1) .... "main motor on boat #2 overheated after 40 minutes, possibly bottom end damage. Fitted 2nd motor, muffler dropped off after a minute ! Fitted motor #2 from boat #1, repaired the muffler and continued on. Covered 71 klms today. Not sure why the engine overheated, we wanted 60 kms per day, very happy with 71 klms"....

(day 2) ... " departing 0930hrs today, lost an oar last night and battery on boat #2 collapsed, recovered the oar a short way downstream, stuck in a tree. John thinks the overheating problem may be fixed with a gasket UNDER the cav plate, steering on both boats is good but a lot of weather cocking in the wind. We are averaging 11kph."...

(day 3) ... Arrived Echuca, no charge in battery, motor runs well without cav plate. Both boats hit several snags (with no damage), Both motors running OK, when we find a suitable spot we'll change motors back, we have one working spare at the moment".

(day #4) ... Leaving Echuca, snags caused no damage but boat #1 hit the wharf at Picnic Point and put a small hole below the gunwale ... no problems. We have travelled 280 klms with 1720 klms to go. We are getting 160 klms to a 22 litre tank" ...
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

(Day 4) ... Arrived at the first lock. Big day 82 klms both motors running well. John checked the oil in the gear box one ok but the other had too much water in it may have to replace a seal tomorrow. Battled winds gusting to 50 kph, threw the boat off line requiring full lock to bring her back on course luckily the river is fairly wide through here. Camped in a very pretty location up river from the lock. We are now expecting to get to swan hill pm Friday.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Here's a pic giving an idea of the distances and number of locks.
They left Torrumburra lock today (Wednesday).
Attachments
image.jpg