Murray River Boat

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david doyle

Re: Murray River Boat

Post by david doyle »

Thanks for the update. Neat transom arrangement. Was wondering why she is built with her sides in two planks? Was that done cause you had the pieces or is there a reason for it? Will you just tape the seam in and out ? Also notice on the starboard side it looks like you brought the side flush to the bottom instead of having the bottom overlap the side I have always needed the sides to trace the bottom panel just wondering how you got it to fit like that!
croweater

Post by croweater »

david doyle >> Thanks for your comments we are very happy with the Transom its light strong and looks good.

Was wondering why she is built with her sides in two planks? : Strength is the main reason where the planks over lap the thickness doubles from 6mm to 12mm acts like a back bone, a single sheet would be hard to get fair the original plans asked for five or six planks not doing that saves a little weight.

Was that done cause you had the pieces or is there a reason for it? : Planks are put on as one we scarfed three sheets of ply then marked and cut out the planks.

Will you just tape the seam in and out? : All seams are taped we are using Kevlar on the chine’s.

Also notice on the starboard side it looks like you brought the side flush to the bottom instead of having the bottom overlap the side I have always needed the sides to trace the bottom panel just wondering how you got it to fit like that! : You have eagle eyes the plank is out a little there we did not want to force it as would cause problems elsewhere so we let it sit there its only a few mm and no one will see it when finished. The bottom was lofted and put on as one sheet.

Hope that answers some of your questions, Moose (boat #3) may be along later (if he can get onto the forum) to answer any tech questions.

John
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

John, thanks for the info, you guys obvioulsy know what your up to and I appreciate the chance to learn. Very smart boat looking forward to watching the rest of your build.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Keen to see where you are at with it.
croweater

Post by croweater »

David; It’s been bloody cold down here over the last couple of weeks, on Saturday the temperature
in the shed was only 8 degrees that’s too cold to use epoxy and what we have done takes a couple
of days to go off. As we are in the middle of winter we must expect a few cold and wet days. Moose
rang and said he’s keeping busy lofting the furniture so the wheels are still turning, will be back
there on Saturday to turn it.

John
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

John:

Thanks for the update. It is a real treat to have someone take the time and effort to document a build, upload pics, answer questions etc. Much appreciated. Looking forward to see it flipped and the furniture/framing installed.

Re your trip. Not sure if you do alot of extended light wieght camping but I do alot of 10-14 back pack mountain hunts where we pack in everything so I got some ideas on how to keep the calories up and the load down. Wont distract your thread but if you want, PM, and I'll send along some pack lists that have seen me thru 4-5000 calorie burn days while keeping well below a couple pounds a day.
croweater

Post by croweater »

David: We should be ok with the food supplies out longest stretch between towns is about four days

Busy day today the hull is almost ready to be turned

The Bow looking good

The Skeg set in place

We also started on the 2nd boat scarfed and joined three sheets of ply for the bottom.
Today we are turning the boat, more photos’ tonight

John
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Coming along very well Croweater. Been watching this thread a bit" 8)
croweater

Post by croweater »

Exciting day as we turned the boat over it only took a couple of us to do it, the hull weighs just less
than 80 kg and that’s with station 6 still sitting in the boat. She looks even better right side up still
a way to go yet but we are getting there.

Over she went it was easier to turn than expected.

Side view.

The Century looks happy in its new home; the generator will be stored here in boat 3

This is where we plan to store the spare Seagull motor and one of the 22L fuel tanks.

Stern view.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Probably the only real work done today was to put a layer of Kevlar on the bottom sheets of Boat 2

John
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Wow that boat gets big when you flip it, yep you sure do got alot of work ahead of you!

I wanted ask about your skeg/keel. Is it build of ply or did you just cap it with ply?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

This is all FAR TOO COOL!

Keep it coming!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
croweater

Post by croweater »

David: The skeg is solid timber I looked at the photo again it does look like it’s caped, the skeg does
not extend lower than the bottom of the boat just in case we hit a snag. Snags are usually fallen trees
that lay just under the surface.

Bruce: Thanks for the comment should get really interesting in a few weeks when we start weighted
testing, were hoping it does its hull speed of 6 knots.

John
Blista

Post by Blista »

Gday Croweater(s), and others,

Have been following with interest the progress of the build. Looks good!
I am one of the mob that pulled out of the trip. Main reason was a complete dismantling of my left shoulder,tendons muscles etc needing full reconstruction! Surgeon said forget trip about this time. ( Been told it is caused by too many candles on the cake!)
I am one of two from Rockhampton region attempting the trip using Hartley TS16's. My fitout has come to a complete stop. However my old mate still intends to come down and has his boat ready to hit the water for a test on the Mighty Fitzroy River in Rockhampton.
I am really sad about postponing the trip.
Mark did so much work deserved a better result.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Blista: Good to hear from you I thought we were the only ones still planning to do the run did Mark
happen to pass on my contact details? That’s a bugger wrecking your shoulder and missing the run
hope the reconstruction gets it sorted.

It’s a pity so many dropped out I know Mark was very disappointed.

We may be holding the Seagull Nationals in SA in 2015 let’s hope that shoulder is sorted by then you
will get a chance to see some of what you have missed.

John