Siba recoil start

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mark
Siba recoil start

Post by Mark »

I am not a fan of these having had one once and got fed up with the number of washers needed to get it to sit level enough to work properly. Then it always seemed abit dodgey that the spinning flywheel was now enclosed in a cage, ready to break your finger off got anywhere near it. I am amazed therefore that one of these had just fetched £73 on ebay! I paid £60 for a cracking little featherweight - £13 less for a complete engine.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Completely agree with you - and besides they're ugly.

British Seagull refused to have anything to do with the caged SIBA recoils because they were (rightly) concerned about fingers getting caught in the cage. It was only in the later years that you could buy a Seagull complete with recoil and complete with enclosed mechanism.

Prices are a little unbalanced recently!
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Ive actually taken my recoil starter off my EFNR as I think a rope starter is much less apt to give me trouble. Of course, the flywheel in this series is somewhat covered than my Forty and Forty Plus collection.
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
philj

Post by philj »

Hi,
I love my recoil starts, I have both the cage and the enclosed versions. Very handy to have when you are starting a seagull that is hung off an aux bracket and you have to pull up rather than out.
Regards
Phil