Silver Century block swap

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Geoff Uphill

Silver Century block swap

Post by Geoff Uphill »

Just picked up my 2nd Seagull - getting the bug !

- an 'all there' SPCL C8 - Silver Century Plus, longshaft ( villiers magneto)

Aware it had a water jacket split - I bought it with a spare block in good nick, complete with crankcase, piston, head, arm and Wipac baseplate- from a WSPC mm5 model.

Should I keep piston and block together - or would it hurt to chop and change, according to what looks best ?
Any advantage in fitting a new piston and rings ( since they are quite cheap ) - or at least new rings - and deglazing the bore ?

Also - just how does a wipac baseplate come off - once the screw is out. It won't budge - is it just a push fit/twist fit - before I start heating and grunting at it.

Was the cord pull plate, under the flywheel nut different on the Wipac flywheel than the Villiers. Seems to me the engine is fitted with a plate from a Wipac, and it does not quite fit, somehow - its seems squashed down.
pic at http://www.geoff.rich.btinternet.co.uk/ ... -plus.html
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

If you have the spare block it won't hurt to use it.

And if you use it then new rings and a 'glaze bust' can do no harm - no real point swapping the piston if the original is OK.

The baseplate - once the screw is out - is a question of heat and twist, there's nothing left to hold it in place. But you may wish to consider using the Wipac flywheel too, if you have it. Some say it's a better magneto. (I personally reckon there's little difference)

I can't make out the detail of your rope pull sheave from the photo, so I'm not convinced I understand your question there. Yes Villiers isn't the same as Wipac in this department, but the plastic plate/sheave should fit a Villiers, they were supplied like this for a brief while.
Geoff Uphill

Post by Geoff Uphill »

Thanks Charles - sorry about the pics, taken in near darkness which kills my little digital. Post some better ones soon I expect.

Just thought it might have been a problem, sticking an old piston into another bore.
I've had the head off the spare block and its really sweet inside - came off easily too.

I can't go with the Wipac, as I only have the baseplate - no coil/points/internals etc - and the flywheel that was paired with the spare bits is a villiers, not a wipac. Just got thrown together in the pile of spares I expect.
I shall have to stick with the villiers. The Wipac 'looks' more efficient, if you know what I mean - but having the points in a box does make some sence in the villiers.

Once I have the top nut off - I can check with the plastic rope plate from my other, Wipac Silver Century. It would seem to me the 'depression' it sits in is smaller on the villiers than the Wipac flywheel, slightly - so if you put on Wipac it squashes the thing down a bit in the middle - which closes up the rope slot a bit.