Model Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Most importantly - have you tried it in a tank with the propellor removed?
seagullsquiggs

Post by seagullsquiggs »

Valid point Charles it is the only Seagull that I have run in the tank with the prop on might give it a try tomorrow.

Mike
Keith.P

head

Post by Keith.P »

I would say remove the drive shaft and exhaust tube and unscrew the copper water tube from the head as it it was clogged at that point and would give you a good chance to remove the crud from the head.
well worth the effort in the long run.

And look at the water pump to see if it has not decintegrated.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

With any other motor a complete strip down and inspetion would be the obvious answer, but with an FV or LS you are looking at a deal of work.

Some of the power heads come apart easily, others are frankly a pig to get apart. When you do manage to part the major components you're confronted (probably) with corroded steel gaskets at both ends, with massive galvanic corrosion of the cylinder head and crankcase too.

Getting the gearbox apart can be a real challenge, too.

Good luck
seagullsquiggs

Post by seagullsquiggs »

Thanks Guys

I have given that some thought also (working from the bottom up). The little old lady I bought it from last year, said it hasn't been used since around 1970 then stored in their farm shed, my discussion with John Williams about the matter he even suggested that it might have the odd dead spider or two stuck up there. Where this old lady lives suggests to me that it may not have seen a lot of salt water in its time but that would be just a guess. BTW Charles I have read your contribution on stripping the FV/LS on another website despite having an almost complete spare FV on hand I don't fancy a bench load of broken bits.
seagullsquiggs

Post by seagullsquiggs »

Ok Everyone

The story so far off with prop into the tank new spark plug (I oiled up the old one) started straight away after that, great water flow then back to a trickle after about 1 and 1/2 seconds the flow rate well could be outdone by some bloke with major prostrate problems. Out of the tank back flush with garden hose as well as a tickle around the outlet with mig welding wire (couldn't really get around the corners Keith). Off to a mate's place to use his compressor blew compressed air up every possible orifice back to the tank only slight improvement in water flow. I even rang the lady I bought it from some twelve months ago, just to retrace its history, she had only had it running in fresh water, but she had brought it in 1968 from a person that had used it I am sure in salt water.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I think, sadly, we're into 'take it apart' territory.

I didn't want to point you to the other site, but as you've found it what's written there still holds good. But you may just be lucky - some of them seem to just fall apart very easily.

Come back if you have problems, take it very slowly.
gullnut

pics

Post by gullnut »

Hello Pizey, could you please tell me how you got the pictures on the posting,

Cheers Simon
Keith.P

pic

Post by Keith.P »

Register with some one like photobucket to store your pictures and then you can add them to your post.