Gold Cheetah

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Gold Cheetah

Post by AusAnzani »

Have been restoring a Gold Cheetah outboard over the last few weeks and as usual, have also been on the hunt to find several missing parts including carb, throttle and ignition cover.

The Gold Cheetah outboard was manufactured by Boundy Manufacturing Co. Pty. Ltd. Springvale Victoria from approx 1954 through to 1960. Boundy also manufactured the Lawn Patrol and the Lawn Cub movers. All shared the same 3.6hp engine, was was quite unique. The engine did not have a traditional style flywheel/magneto atop, rather it had magnets attached to the crank which passed along side an ignition box comprising coil, points, condensor and points all mounted on the front of the crank case. The ignition cover was made of a plastic material and easily damaged. Unfortunately finding replacements almost 60 years on is not so easy!

That said, a bit of good luck comes our way I guess every once in a while. Over the weekend I stumbled across a Lawn Patrol BMS Series 10 engine at a swap meet. On having a quick look, it appeared to be in reasonable condition and had the few parts I needed to finish off the Gold Cheetah. Asking the owner about it, he says "It's a runner, 25 bucks and it's yours". I offered him $15 and he accepted :mrgreen:

A pic of the BMS Series 10 Engine. The outboard version has the tank (much like that of a 102) sitting at the top rear above the cylinder head.

Original carb and throttle, both in great condition.

Ignition cover broken, but repairable. Might even try making a mold to produce a few more of my own.

On the home stretch with the Cheeta now. Just need to repaint the cowl as the initial attempt with wrinkle paint failed miserably .... very uneven finish. I'll post some pics when complete.

Regards,
AusAnzani
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Re: Gold Cheetah

Post by AusAnzani »

As indicated above the Gold Cheetah has been in restoration over the past couple of weeks and is now nearing completion. I was going to hold off posting pics until then, but as I haven't made much progress redoing the cowl and tank, I thought I'd post some in progress pcis. Please excuse the quality, light was fading so they're a bit grainy. Also please don't laugh (too hard) at my makeshift stand. I've run out of others.

Flat top cylinder and head. From what I can see without removing cowl etc, the cylinder and head on the above BMS Series 10 and the other Cheetah are formed in the more traditional style.

Cylinder and head have been removed from crankcase. Bore, piston and rings have been inspected and all appear to be in good order. Of course all leaned up and new gaskets fitted prior to re-assembly.

6 Bolt Crankcase. The crankcase on the other Cheetah I have is 4 bolt only. Not sure if that's earlier or later!

Ignition system. I'm yet to test the coil to see what sort of shape it's in! Once I’ve done that, I'll strip the whole lot down and tidy right up. Plan is to make this engine a runner.

Gearbox & Prop seem to be exclusive to the Gold Cheetah outboard. I'm not sure if Boundy manufactured these components or had them manufactured for them.

Bits yet to be fitted. I'm in the process of redoing the tank and cowl right now. Of course these bits will be fitted afterwards. The Gold Cheetah name appears on the recoil starter and on the tiller subject to year. Unfortunately this tiller (possibly a replacement) doesn’t have the Gold Cheetah name cast in it.

Once it's together i'll reshoot the pics in good light and repost here.
Regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Good job.

There is a Victa barrel and head but once the cowl is on who would know............................and now we can see how to get a stuffed one running again aye! Good Job Spiro!!!!!!!!

The ignition covers were delicate from within..

You will notice that there is a pin driving the points from within the crankcase. When the hole wears fuel gets into the ignition box and BANGO goes the Jango!

McPhersons were the agents for the power head for many years. A robust commercial motor in the day.

You have a recoil and very well done. If you find another one...............

DSC02151.JPG
gold cheeth (2).JPG
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Looks a nice sturdy motor, I did notice the novel cooling duct from the fan, running along the top of the barrel, I suppose it gets away from using a big old cowl over the engine.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

G'day B,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you certain the barrel and head are Victa and if so, what model?

I have 2 other Boundy engines I can use to make this Cheetah right ..... If in fact it's not.

Regards,
Spiro
Collector Inspector

Not sure of what model except maybe the very first 125, electronic ignition version with the motor crosswise on the deck. The head casting was more pronounced when they changed the cowl shortly after. About the time when the 160cc came out.

Never mind that just have a look at whatever you have that looks like my green (Early) photo. Block and head etc.

The piston should have a cut out on the crown.

That is how they were.

I can not actually reach a lawnmower version of this engine until maybe Sunday. It will show the the same as the green photo.

Soon

Check these out for a start...................

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4610

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3116

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2682

Cheers

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Much research done over the past few days and can now confirm a few more details.

The Barrel and Cylinder head are original equipment and just a more recent version version of green one pictured by out friend B. This has been confirmed through numerous measurements taken from the older and a newer style barrels which revealed the only difference between the two to be the height of the upper cooling fins. We can only assume the changes to the barrel and head were introduced to minimise air flow restrictions thereby improving engine cooling.

Through a number of early advertisements we were also able to confirm Boundy as the OEM of the engine, which was in it's earlier years names the Gold Cheetah. The Gold Cheetah name was later transferred to the outboard. Mowers that also featured the same engine were the Lawn Cub, Lawn Scout and the Lawn Patrol.

With all that done and dusted, I was able to refocus my attention to completing the Gold Cheetah outboard. Still missing a few minor parts, and ignition cover in need of repair, but its close enough to post a final series of pics here.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Regards,
AusAnzani
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Picked up another Gold Cheetah hence the post here.

Complete, original and owned by the one family from new. Best of all, it was only 7 minutes away from my place.

Very similar to the one discussed earlier in this thread, with a few subtle improvements thus confirming (in my mind anyway) that Boundy and his team continued to update and improve the engine through to the very end.

What she looked like on pick up.

Improvements with the aid of pics.

1. Barrel & head: Modified cooling fins on barrel and new head design, presumably to minimise restriction to air flow and improve engine cooling. This pic attempts to show the free space between the upper cooling fins and underside of the cowl. If the fins were left circular in shape, the restriction would result in reduced air flow over over the barrel and near enough to none over the head.

2. Magnetic assembly: End piece constructed from laminations. On earlier models, this was a single piece of steel/iron. Improvements also to the holding clips. New design eliminates possibility of the end piece moving from side to side and becoming dislodged.

3. Throttle cable: Right angle throttle cable guide added to carb, not seen on earlier models. I guess this improves throttle response and extends throttle cable life.

4. Tiller: Gold Cheetah name forms part of the tiller casting. Throttle rotated 90 degrees presumably for better ergonomics? Through bolt mounting ensures throttle remains where it's supposed to.

5. Branding: Seen only once before in advertising but never on a finished outboard, original or restored. There are 2 such decals, one on the forward side and one on the rear side of the tank.

Was hoping not to have to restore this one, but there was so much rust and corrosion under the paint I had no choice.

Restoration: Day 1 prep, day 2 paint, day 3 commence reassembly. Not quite finished yet, but you get the idea.

I am hoping to have the original decals reproduced before I proceed to repaint the cowl and tank.

Still a little undecided about what to do with the recoil starter eg

a. paint the whole thing red (standard) and clearcoat OR
b. paint the whole thing red and then remove the paint from the raised lettering and cheetah image before clear coating the whole lot.

Thoughts?

Also as promised, I restored the BMS Series 10 engine from which certain parts were robbed to complete the first Gold Cheetah. I know it's not an outboard, but since it was discussed earlier in the thread a few pics to close are warranted in my opinion.

Regards,
Collector Inspector

We are looking really Cool here Spiro.

Good Stuff Aye.

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks Bruce.

Been back at work with very little time to play however the Cheetah is now approaching completion. Only a short bit of fuel hose and decals left to go.

Work has progressed beyond, however ere's some pics to wet the appetite. Hope to get a few more in better light tomorrow.

Drew this up on MS Powerpoint and have exported it as an 300dpi image file waiting to print. It's not exactly the same as the original (bits of that were missing) but it's close enough.

If i was asked the question a few months back, "would you ever paint an outboard red", I would have responded with absolutely not. I guess I'm now one of the converted.

Regards
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Very nice job, love the attention to detail 8)
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thank you Oyster.

Unfortunately decals are yet to be delivered so it's still not 100% complete. Hopefully this Sunday and a few more pics thereafter.

Regards,
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

The second Gold Cheetah is finally finished and I'm pretty happy with the way it's come up.

Here's the last round of pics to finish off the thread thread.

The decals took a long time to recreate and print, but well worth the effort in the end. Will certainly be doing same for all future restos.

Regards,
croweater

Post by croweater »

Beautiful they would still be making them if they looked that good new, look forward to your next project.

John
Collector Inspector

Outstanding Work!

Proud Dad you are indeed

:D

Now get cracking the next project!

B