Seagulls on The Murray

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

croweater

Seagulls on The Murray

Post by croweater »

As there seems to be quite a bit of interest in our Murray River Run we have opened up a facebook
page “Seagulls on The Murray” so you guys can follow our run down the Murray River. I have always
avoided facebook and thought it was a waste of time but I see on runs like this it does have its benefits.

https://www.facebook.com/seagullmurray

John
Hugz

Re: Seagulls on The Murray

Post by Hugz »

I'm there. Thanks!

Reminds me of reading Jessica Watson's daily blog though this is much more awe inspiring :mrgreen:
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Me as well

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Well, the boys set off on Friday the 25th and as of 5pm Monday 29th had got past Echuca...all well and Seagulls firing as they should.

See the facebook page to stay in touch.

gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Boys got past Torrumbarry Weir yesterday, so a bit over 25% of the trip...then disaster struck this morning...Moose's boat hit a snag and has an 8" hole on the chine below the water line....

There is a riverbank 'huddle' going on now as I type....keep watching fb page for developments.

I suggested they empty the boat and tow it with some large person on the opposite gunnel to try and keep the hole out of the water.....John says they'll try it, as the spot they're stuck is apparently not great for effecting repairs and or/camping.

Watch this space.....well, er, the one on fb, anyway.
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Bad luck but the team will get over it and the boat will be repaired.

After all it will be another story to remember!

Stay strong boys!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Because of all the locks in the upper parts of the Murray, The section they are in is i bit shallow and suffering from drought. Even if they were at the deepest part (In the middle) there are a lot of fallon trees and it was most likely a decent size branch they hit. I raced the southern 80 once and there was a ski boat that hit a snag while cutting a corner and snapped the gearcase clean of the outboard :o

Here is a pic of the hole incase some of our members are not on facebook
Attachments
1385033_10151781361433823_296241143_n.jpg
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Just to give you all a bit of insight to how the murray river works. This is a picture of the Loading wharf at historic Euchuca. You can see the paddle steamers are tied up against it. Over the years the river height would be at the top of the wharf were the shed and 2 cranes hoists are. The river levels very a lot from season to season. You can see the steps running up the the structure and different level platforms. Sadly its been at a low for some time now.
Attachments
Murray-River-Echuca.jpg
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'm sure that can be repaired with a ply patch and some decent adhesive. In the UK sikoflex will stick effluent to a blanket!

If all else fails dry it on gaffer tape will keep them going!
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Here's a pic of 2 Seagulls leading the fleet of over 30 paddle-wheelers on the Murray River at Mildura.
Attachments
RobGreenBean.jpg
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Did you bring any fibreglass and plywood scraps to make emergency repairs ?

The original intention was to screw one of the cav plates over the hole but when we got her out of the water the damage is too extensive for a temporary repair as we have still 90 klms from Swan Hill. The recovery operation still looks like the best bet. Humphrey Bogart hauling his boat through the swamp is a walk in the park compared to us hauling Mooses boat up the river bank.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

The hole is starboard side into the fuel tank locker and well below the water line. We left the overnight camp site, got about 2klm down river when we just missed a large log just above the water, barely visible. They didn't see it on Mooses boat and they hit it. When the water started pouring in Moose rang us to say he was sinking so we headed back to render assistance, by the time we got there they were heading for the bank and Moose was knee deep in water at the back of the boat. Salvage operations continued most of the day. Mooses boat was hauled up onto the river bank using just ropes and manpower. The bank is steep and about 2 metre high.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

As you know Mooses boat now has a large hole in it. We have pulled the boat up the bank, bloody hard work. Pat is now inside the boat cleaning out the river mud. Mooses mate from Clayton bay will arrive around 0800hrs tomorrow where he will take Moose back to Yarrawongao to recover his car and trailer. (That's a round trip of 2100 Klms, but it's Australia!). When we get the trailer back here we will load the boat and Moose will take it back to his workshop at Port Elliot and repair the damage. John and I will continue on down the river once Mooses boat is loaded. Eta Swan Hill is now pm Sunday. Once Mooses boat is repaired he will rejoin us on the river possibly at Wentworth. We will load Mooses motor into our boat as the spare. We will also take his spare fuel and water. We tried to claim salvage rights to Mooses boat but he wouldn't let us.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

1606 hrs Swan Hill ..... 86klms in 7.5 hours ! That's 11.5kph. A new speed record for a 22' boat with a bog standard C100 ?
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Dat # 10. Arrive for R&R in Swan Hill. Tomorrow we start again. We are using Johns motor without the cavitation plate. We are carting Mooses motor as a spare and we are also carrying Johns spare as bits. John is checking the gearbox daily as it is still loosing oil.