Ugly Duckling.

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Ugly Duckling.

Post by Collector Inspector »

Indeed, it is UGLY!
03302013016.jpg
It is Canadian import that I got on Eastern States Ebay. 9.5Hp Evinrude, 1966 or close......
03302013013.jpg
Silly me has been working on these for the last 10 years or so for payers. If everything there not a problem. I have many spare parts from over heated heaps of junk in a corner. I never really thought to actually own one?

I saw this one on Ebay East, seller was prepared to post it. That all worked out really well and now in my hands.............The thing that caught my attention was the photos of it running, especially under the cowl? No evidence of overheating, burnt paint etc so took a punt.

Took the leap of faith and paid up front, this is what I got.

Firstly, since I guessed as to what it was like via experience looking at stuff, I would like just to include the sellers pitch?[/color]

"EVINRUDE 9.5 HORSEPOWER SHORT SHAFT OUTBOARD MOTOR.

THESE OUTBOARDS HAVE EARNED A REPUTATION OVER THE YEARS

TO BE AS CLOSE AS ONE CAN COME TO "BULLET PROOF".

THIS ONE IS NO EXCEPTION AND TICKS OVER LIKE A DREAM.

THIS MOTOR IS MORE THAN CAPABLE OF PUTTING THE AVERAGE "TINNEY" ON THE PLANE,BUT AT THE SAME TIME IS HAPPY TO IDLE ALL DAY LONG IN SEARCH OF THAT BIG ONE.

THIS MOTOR HAS JUST BEEN CHECKED OVER FROM TOP TO BOTTOM,AND IS NOW READY TO PROVIDE MANY YEARS OF TROUBLE FREE USE FOR THE NEW OWNER.

PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE AND I WILL REPLY AS QUICKLY AS I CAN.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIDDING.

I MAY BE ABLE TO ASSIST WITH DELIVERY FOR INTERSTATE BUYERS SO EMAIL ME FOR A PRICE."

Nicely said and I believe that the seller was genuine in the above.

So It arrived and I started looking and fiddling as we do. It is basically all there has spark and HEAPS of compression, yes, the power head is the best I have touched.

I turned the flywheel by hand and it picked up the advance linkages on the way around...........pulled flywheel..........someone done the goods but not installed correctly. It would have lasted maybe a kilometer from a boat ramp and smashed itself to bits.

03302013009.jpg
03302013007.jpg
The advance plate had one screw.............this is another that is basically healthy and straight? Once again, maybe a kilometer and ouch.

It is a freshwater motor which is TOTALLY COOL! The thermostat had died open so the very large water gallery is flushed clean as.........original cap, 47 years old, I am happy with that!

I hope that you will follow me in this as I sort it out. This was purchased as a collectable for my Down South Tinny. The 6Hp Fisherman, while a nice motor, tends to run out of Puff with two up and gear.

Pic below shows why the normal Barry and Mates give these a big miss.............there are lots of fiddly things.......this one has most of the "Fiddlies" lost.....SIGH!
03302013004.jpg
Thank my probable bad judgement in keeping heaps of greasy bits? :roll:

Keep you all posted as I go with this, not a big task, just fiddly.

No, I am NOT painting it up or doing decals............it will look its age with bumps and scratches.

It has a heart of Gold however.

I believe a nice runner later aye?

More to come.

Cheers

B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

Re: Ugly Duckling.

Never got hot.

Will be a user.

03302013010.jpg
03302013001.jpg
Starter Pawl is Sad, common part in a box somewhere................yes still in boxes after outboard move.
03302013011.jpg
Stay tuned if you wish

Cheers

B[/color]
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Interesting, never seen inside one, I only have a semi ugly one, 60's and the better looking clam style, both 18hp though.
Keep the pictures coming.
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Think its ok they are all ugly with hoods!
Collector Inspector

Continue, they are very easy to get apart with practice and even easier when most of the fasteners are missing. I am talking about the lower covers.

It is indeed a fresh water motor which makes me :) got that right aye.

It is in outstanding top end and trunk condition, not really a lot to do except for front top mount and one missing bump stop rubber. The exhaust housing is spotless phew!

They are different under there

04012013019.jpg
04012013020.jpg
04012013021.jpg
All good, we have investigated the "Top" part of the Seller's CHECKING.............let us do the Check Check of "The Bottom"

"For many years to come", I am excited

:|

B[/color]
Collector Inspector

So, excitement is building and gearbox is checked................I must admit it is a fresh water motor after all.............

Many years of use in the future? Checked? Maybe not.

Took prop off, easy check. Maybe this was during a test run after checking?

04012013022.jpg
Thoughts of "You Pr$%k entered my mind but let us continue.

Looks good, it is a fresh water motor, nice and pulls down well
04012013024.jpg
A bit of water came out from under the bearing plate, nah that was when I degreased the thing surely..........Maybe not.

This proves beyond all doubt that it is a fresh water motor. Most of it remains?
04012013025.jpg
OK, the ONLY problem so far is the bottom of the drive shaft wear. I have to find another amoungst my totally hard to get apart others?

Else I have everything else and the gears/shift is fine.
04012013026.jpg
So, checked from top to bottom, If the seller is following SOS, that is probably why He does not leave feedback?

All good later for me but maybe would have been a very bad choice for a novice family trusting the description and going to see?

B[/color]
Collector Inspector

Tools needed are not way out.
04012013031.jpg
The red thingy is a MUST have for catching fresh water gearbox lube :wink:

B[/color]
Collector Inspector

I sent this message to seller, He has not left feedback yet.

"THIS MOTOR HAS JUST BEEN CHECKED OVER FROM TOP TO BOTTOM,AND IS NOW READY TO PROVIDE MANY YEARS OF TROUBLE FREE USE FOR THE NEW OWNER."

Did you check it then shame! You paid someone to check it so you could say this? You were ripped off.

Some young family could have won this on your description. They may have then been in peril when it self destructed at sea.

No matter to me as I collect old motors and wanted one with no heat stroke. That is OK as I have the ability to get it back reliable.

You should revise your selling statements from now on.

Just a thort and remember Kama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Looks like its had an easy life. Its never been overheated either, (Judging by the look of the cyl heads and exhaust plate on the power head) Unfortunately its going to be a genuine Evinrude oil seal for the gearbox prop shaft. They are a one of size that Omc got made for themselfs. Pretty smooth running motor for there age to.
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

I see you have the most important tool there in the bottle :lol:
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Very important lubricant that is. 8)
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

I drink the hard stuff 2% asda or Tesco value :lol: ...NO hairs on my chest though :shock:
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

asda AND Tesco--- O the joys of living in Inverness
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Invernessish,..near enough
Collector Inspector

Hic! and Burp!

Seal kit AU28.00 ex the states including postage on the way.

Am still sorting for another drive shaft however in amongst a LOT of bits!.........Some are outside in the weather as rubbish should be?

Whatever shaft I will use, probably take to Tran Seals here in Perth and get two for back to back install, ie, 1/2 thickness etc.

Then any OEM seal lip wear is not an issue. Simple math.

Keep you informed as to how I go.

Cheers

B