Seagull Thames run Lechlade to Teddington 123 miles.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

Seagull Thames run Lechlade to Teddington 123 miles.

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Though I should start a new thread.

Have looked at the chance of a nice run on the Thames.

Will need visitors licence, and insurance.

Licence cost £22.50 for 15 days, I have insurance that costs me about £60 for the year.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/st ... l_2012.pdf

123 miles, should be able to do this in 4+ days with not much problem.

Pop tent or boat tent/cover should do it, bit of food and a small stove, sleeping bag, mobile phone.

Camp on quiet bits or islands, go to pubs and have a laugh.

A few people have said they are interested, I would say 5 or 6 boats would be ideal.

Anyone done it before? I have done Walton bridge to Oxford and back in a small narrow boat last year, that was good fun.

H-A
mjn321

Re: Seagull Thames run Lechlade to Teddington 123 miles.

Post by mjn321 »

Have you any dates in mind?

See:-

http://www.thamesvintageboatclub.com/thames-locks.html

for lock details and distances.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks like there is a bit of interest, perhaps 5 boats so far.

There is also the chance to do a bit of the run for half a day or a day, if you can’t do the whole thing, joins in on the way.

I was thinking that a Wednesday morning start would be best, three clear days before the weekend, sure to finish or get pulled out before end of play on Sunday. 5 Clear days should be more that enough. I would think a Saturday night, Sunday morning pick up would be the actual finish time.

I will need to check the available camping below Windsor, I know that it get a bit more urban, but Windsor to Teddington in a day is very possible.

I do Walton to Windsor and back in a day with no problem.

Also Walton to Teddington and back in a day is easy, if you can stay out of the pubs.

I would think late May or early June would be best, longest day is June 21st or there abouts, that should give long enough days and not too much traffic on the river.

Weather could be a problem, but support teams with trailers to pick up boats could come at any time if the going get too unpleasant, they would be only a mobile call away.

I will pull out at Walton as there is a good slip and car park, so come back from Teddington. I have not looked for slips near Teddington but there are loads on the Thames, and most boat yards will let you pull out for a small fee.

Has anyone thought of anything else that need to be looked at?

H-A

P.S. Then there is the tidal part, Grand union, or even London Bridge to Cowes run. :D I do need to go past the Houses of Parliament with a "Great British Seagull". :lol:
mjn321

Post by mjn321 »

How about just a two day trip to start with so the inexperienced flockers (like myself) could iron out any problems ? Start and finishing at the same point would also solve the transport problems.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Yes that is possible, we could go up from walton to cookham and back.

There is a marina at Walton where you can leave a car and trailer. Last time it cost me £10.

What size boat do you have MJN, and what engine will you use?

H-A
mjn321

Post by mjn321 »

A GP14 or a Gull (appropriately) with a 40plus standard (I have a few)...
Mjn
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

mjn321 wrote:A GP14 or a Gull (appropriately) with a 40plus standard (I have a few)...
Mjn
Either of those will do, perhaps we will do another Cholsey run in the next few weeks, that will give you a taste of the Thames, and we can have a chat over a pint or a cup of tea.

It needs to be a little warmer than today. :)

H-A
A prop

Post by A prop »

For any daring soul thinking of descending through Teddington to the Tideway and transiting to the Grand Union at Brentford or Limehouse it might be an idea to check out the Thames tide tables for 2012.............

PLA or here :

http://rjweb.myby.co.uk/Tides2011-Putney.pdf

Malcolm