British Anzani Pilot

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Sigean

British Anzani Pilot

Post by Sigean »

Just restoring an old Pilot - my Seagull Forty F/W needs competion - and I should be grateful for advice on the bevel drive lubrication. The (seized) bevel appeared to be full of grease when dismantled, and is this the best lubricant? If so, does anyone know what type of grease works best? Or should heavyweight oil be used instead? Grateful for any advice .....

.....and also on the type of cylinder head gasket material to use (and where to obtain in the UK - it appears to be a sort of metal reinforced paper).

Kind regards,

Peter
Peter Newton
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Pilots used "Under Water Grease", the handbooks listed a few brands but no longer available.

Castrol Boating Grease, the blue stuff, pack it in and use the grease nipple two pumps every 5 hrs. Clean out gearbox twice per season of use. It will turn greenish sludge but as long as it is a thick sludge, all is well. Expect water to get in, that is normal.

Head gaskets can be made from aneeld copper (soft) straight up with water jacket sealer painted on (GM stuff or Hylomar).

Gaskets also from steam joint gasket material with same painted on sealant/glue. (3 x thickness as base gasket, away you go)

DO NOT USE SILASTIC or the Anzani ghost will wreck ya motor.

Regards

C.I.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others