Another box of bits

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Raya

Another box of bits

Post by Raya »

You don't see many individual parts for Seagulls on ebay in Australia these days, so was surpised when a collection of parts was offered. The bits weren't that close to me, probably 3 hours drive, but still within striking distance. The parts are a mix of old and new, but mostly old.

I won't be able to pick them up for a couple of weeks yet, so won't really know what I bought until then. The ebay pictures were a bit fuzzy but I'll post a couple here anyway. I'll post some clearer shots after I get the bits home.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Collector Inspector

Re: Another box of bits

Post by Collector Inspector »

I saw that as well

Some good bits in there and the bayonet tank could be golden.

Keep us posted aye

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Advertised on Gumtree for one price and on eBay for another.

I reached out to him when the advert first popped up on Gumtree. Unfortunately he was not willing to separate otherwise the cap and tank would have been mine by now :)

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Raya

Post by Raya »

I picked up the parts yesterday. Most parts are from the same motor with a few parts from later 102's in the box (along with various unidenfied parts that aren't from Seagull.)

The crankcase is stamped D2120 so a 1946 model. The cylinder block doesn't have threaded welsh plugs so maybe a later replacement. The tank is steel and in remarkably good condition with no dents or rust inside. The chrome on the cap is good.

I had a quick look inside the gear box. No oil but looks good. Thrust washer is missing. I'll pull off the collar and have a closer look later.

There were two carbys. Going by the chokes in the air intakes, neither would be original although one if fairly old.

The tiller looks good but the throttle control and handrip are wrong.

There was a Champion plug cover and two old plugs. The Villiers magneto and flywheel look original.

There were a couple of props but both were from later motors.

The major parts that are missing are the driveshaft parts and exhaust tube.

I think I'll try and restore the motor as best I can depending on what parts I can find. Any advice and comments are appreciated.
102 parts.jpg
102 parts.jpg
Champion cap.jpg
Attachments
Points adjuster.jpg
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I'd be interested in the tank and cap should you decide to sell.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You have enough there to start putting that engine together, D engines are one that does not crop up that often, the flangeless magneto is also correct. Steel tanks are also quite hard to find, and original bayonet caps are very rare!

Well done with that box of bits! Medium rarity engine 8)