Horsley-Anarak

Re: Amal 420

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Sorry I have lost the will to live.
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Charles uk wrote:
The needle valve is critical, you won't need the pump if you use the 416, what number is stamped on the main jet of the 416 (the bit that the float bowl screws onto.

Which carb needs the needle?

I've found a cowl with a choke shutter, the 416 is missing its needle valve, and the jet is stamped 95. Its looking much better after a clean, I'll stick with that over the 420. Can the needle from the 420 be used in the 416? It seems like the same part and saves buying one.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Look again, they don't look anything alike!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

What are the dimensions and taper of a 416 fuel needle? How many slots at the top for needle height adjustment? Total length etc. Any numbers that i might need to be aware of. If you can provide measurements of the 416 and 420 needle for comparison, i might have a spare needle.
Seems like we're going round in circles here for no reason.

I would like to try and resolve this for you fleetingcontact if i can possibly help. I can't promise anything mind you but i will try. Can't say fairer than that.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

We seem to be talking about different needles are we talking throttle valve needles or float valve fuel needles?

Throttle valve needles are identical but there are 3 different fuel needles & 2 floats

Part 31 is a fuel needle.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Charles is right - the missing part is no. 31 which a piddlingly tiny component that is utterly vital. But if you have a dead 416 then I'd love it. The carb that I will use came to me with that part pre-lost...but can be bought as part of a overhaul kit from Sheridans. I may have to do that since the asking price of a 416 on ebay has become silly lately. I'm going to put an order in to those guys soon anyhow, there's a bunch of small components I would like.

Thanks for the input though.
Amal 416 Diagram.jpg
Amal 416 Diagram.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 556 times