FVP5959

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

seagull101

FVP5959

Post by seagull101 »

As promised, here are they pics and stuff for my FVP.

So far today i have stripped it down to investigate as it was seized solid when i got it. I removed the carb then sadly noticed a crack in the block :x
I kept stripping it down to the point when the carb, tank, head and gearbox was off. I gripped the flywheel in two hands and with little struggle it popped free and span over nice (i did all this with oil in the bore). This is as far as i got today but will continue further tomorrow in removing the cracked block and fitting the spare i have,will also change the studs for spares i have.

The magneto is also ok so thats good.

Jacob
Attachments
MY FVP 1.jpeg
MY FVP.jpeg
MY FVP 3.jpeg
MY FVP 2.jpeg
Last edited by seagull101 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tambikeboy

Re: FVP5959

Post by tambikeboy »

Nice find china looks like you'll be having fun with your new addition....
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Cheers tam, still not sure if i should restore it or not,one of the FV's are 100% getting restored the other is a 1 owner motor so will stay original.

Jacob
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I’ve not seen a cracked block on a little forty before, plenty of corroded studs and crankcases!
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Blocks are not that hard to find, hopefully it can get put right, just a fuel pipe and grip, it will be good as new again.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I need to get a grip too!
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

I have a grip here, but it has turned white and i'm not sure if painting it will look bad.
Can you make the fuel pipes for these?

Jacob
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Can you make the fuel pipes for these?
If you have the tools, then yes you could make one, I would say it will be the pigs ear style one.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Got it pretty much all stripped down today except the gearbox which i will do later. The block fell apart some more while getting it off and the studs will need replacing.
Attachments
MY FVP 4.jpeg
MY FVP 6.jpeg
MY FVP 5.jpeg
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Here are The two FV's that came with the FVP. Shiny tank one is FV8905 and will be fully restored at some point. The other is FV15020 and is a 1 owner motor before me and will stay original as its pretty good condition with tank decal still on it.
Attachments
MY FV'S.jpeg
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Do you think the block was broken due to rust or has the engine been dropped at some point?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

It was definitely by rust because after those large bits of block fell off the long stud was corroded solid into the block. It took me a few hours to chisel out all the rust with a small screwdriver and hammer.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Great collection of early 40 series, Jacob. Well done!

Cracked blocks are not that common, but it does happen - I have a couple.
Is there any significant corrosion of the crankcase? Don't forget that the most significant point of the steel plates is to prevent water being in contact with the aluminium crankcase or the cylinder head. That is why originally they were treated very liberally with a black plastic sealant on both sides and the stud holes are a tight fit around the studs. Electolytic corrosion will occur if water gets to the aluminium. My belief is that once these engines left BS, this design feature was not understood by most subsequent rebuilders and aluminium corrosion was the result.

I know that you are aware that the clamp bolt pump housing (CBPH) is the wrong one for FVP5959, as the drive shaft tube should screw in. I possibly have a correct spare housing and tube. Yes, from my data sheet, you can see that the looped fuel pipe is the correct one for 5959, with the change to the U shaped one being made in the mid 8000 serial numbers. Is the carb the correct one?

Well done for taking on the repair/restoration of these early 40s. They are the very best Seagulls! Although I might be a little bit biased!

If you need any help or bits, you have my telephone number.

Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Jeremy,

The corrosion on the head and crankcases arent bad probably 1-2mm deep at the most and since i cant really use it locally it wont see much use so i wont worry about the corrosion. I have a few of the steel plates and will be refitting them with sealant.

I am aware of the incorrect pump housing and tube but thanks too the boss man Tam, thanks mate! I have one in the post for it.

Do you have a spare fuel pipe about Jeremy? PM me if so as it would save me making one.

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Jacob,

It is good news that there is only a bit of corrosion. What also helps to prevent corrosion of the crankcase faces is to paint them with a chromate paint designed for aluminium. But, I do not understand why you cannot use it locally?

That is great that Tam, is able to get a threaded pump housing and drive shaft tube for you.

I am afraid I do not have any spare fuel pipes, either looped for FVP5959, or the U shaped ones for the later FV/FVPs.

Jeremy