Water impeller loose?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

Water impeller loose?

Post by red42hj »

Giving my century plus gearbox etc a overhaul; I find on reassembly that the water pump is not very tight on the shaft. Is this normal ? Will it ride up( or down ) and rub against the casing? Your expert thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Red.
red42hj

Re: Water impeller loose?

Post by red42hj »

Just looked at some earlier posts about loose impellers, and I guess my answer is pretty much within them. Maybe I'll fit a new one.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

John Williams has them in stock.

But if it's not broken why would you want to fix it.

We would know exactly which impeller your talking about if you'd given the engine number.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

I'm doing a conversion with my s.century and a century plus bottom leg and gearbox. The earlier posts suggest that a drive shaft thats a bit rusty could have enlarged the impeller bore, making it a tad loose.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Try fitting your impeller to the opposite end of the shaft where there's less corrosion and a tighter fit.

Worse case scenario will be a new driveshaft and impeller, but try this first before you go spending money.

Jon
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Thanks for your reply. unfortunately, when swapping a drive leg for a better one I broke the clamping lug where the drive tube goes into the top flange of the gearbox. (I'm fitting a plus clutched gearbox to my silver century. ) I've posted a wanted ad. I did as you said , and I think the impeller will be ok now.
Red