To restore or not?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

seagull101

To restore or not?

Post by seagull101 »

Hello everyone,

As some of you know i am lacking a proper project for the first time in months, the Model 75 i will test start tomorrow which has been my main project this year.

Recently my EDL 53AA3 has been lacking some attention since i took these photos (6 months ago) i have put proper tank mounts on it and thats it.

I personally like my motors to show patina and therefore don't usually restore them but i wouldn't mind trying a complete restoration and tought my ED would be a good candidate for such work.

I cant make my mind up though, which is why i'm asking, should i restore it or not???

Jacob
Attachments
ED 1.jpeg
ED 2.jpeg
ED 4.jpeg
ED 3.jpeg
Charles uk

Re: To restore or not?

Post by Charles uk »

That won't take a lot of work Jacob, a little paint & a once over of the transom bracket & thrust block!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Liam2k3

Post by Liam2k3 »

Leave it as is. Dont mess with it
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Tough choice Jacob.

Here's what i'd do.

Steel fuel tanks are known to corrode so perhaps a first port of call would be to address the corrosion inside and outside of the fuel tank. Paint and decal to suit to finish it off.
Exhaust tube will polish up easily with some elbow grease, same with the tiller.
Ignition covers/recoil shroud in my eyes at least should be the same colour. Your choice whether it's black or silver.(silver/grey i think would look correct for the age of your ED)
Gearbox and prop would also benefit from a fresh coat of paint.
Replace anything that needs renewing.
If funds allow, the drive tube could be re-chromed.

OR

you could just get the motor into a condition where it runs reliably, that the rusty bits aren't going to rust any further leaving you plenty of time to decide what's best for it.

That wasn't much help was it? :roll:

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Charles uk wrote:That won't take a lot of work Jacob, a little paint & a once over of the transom bracket & thrust block!
Yeah, your right. I quite like it the way it is so maybe i will save my money (i'm broke the way it is). I should probably focus on getting my non runners running first.

Jacob
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Sorry Jon you posted while i was typing.

Thanks to you :P i have that steel long range tank and NOS leg! Cheers for that.
I like that patina of the tank that is on it as it has original paint, no decal though.
The tank we swapped has been repaired with body filler but i can weld it. Not blaming you in any way as it was impossible to see until i started stripping that tank.

Still not sure, any more suggestions.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Transom bracket needs the minimum of the rubber thrust tube to avoid chrome against ally.

1 Kingfisher & 1 Century thumb screw, missing carry tube.

Was the drive shaft tube a fat one before you changed it?

What year is it? oops! Just seen the number, 1983, has yours got a plastic tank Hugo?
lodgey62

Post by lodgey62 »

Sympathetic restoration, maybe that's the way,not gleaming out of the crate condition but clean and tidy with sorted electrics and fueling.The colour is up to the individual, I've just painted a flywheel "ford Roman bronze"not everyone's cup o tea but l think it looks ace.Wish l could do pic's!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Charles uk wrote:, has yours got a plastic tank Hugo?
http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... 02%20a.jpg
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Charles,

I have one of the rubber things of an EFNR, i have also since fixed the thumbscrews to two century ones.

Driveshaft tube is the one that is small where it goes into the waterpump housing and where the transom mounts.

Also we decided that it was a 1993, from the old thread about this motor when i got it:

That makes it 1993 must be one of the last ever built, very interesting!

A3 1963
AA3 1973
A3 1983
AA3 1993

It couldn't be January 1973 as it an ED no CDIs then, so it must be 1993

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Jacob
From Jan 63 to Dec 72 inclusive, single letter,
From Jan 73 to Dec 82 inclusive, double letter,
From Jan 83 to Dec 92 inclusive, single letter.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Proof of this is the 5R, only made in Jan 1993 SKL2A3.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

seagull101 wrote:Hello everyone,

As some of you know i am lacking a proper project for the first time in months, the Model 75 i will test start tomorrow which has been my main project this year.

Recently my EDL 53AA3 has been lacking some attention since i took these photos (6 months ago) i have put proper tank mounts on it and thats it.

I personally like my motors to show patina and therefore don't usually restore them but i wouldn't mind trying a complete restoration and tought my ED would be a good candidate for such work.

I cant make my mind up though, which is why i'm asking, should i restore it or not???

Jacob

Leave it alone as really cool!

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I thought the new system of engine numbers started in January 1963?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Your 100% right Hugo, sorry, that's what it says on their paperwork, but raises a problem with the 5R's, single letter, all A3, can't be 1983 as the first mention was the 1993 price book.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Jacob
I'm almost certain your ED is 1983 and not 1993. Take the ignition apart for a look under the flywheel.That should give you a better idea. Charles will then give you the history lesson on CDI ignitions as this was his baby all along.

Spend an hour or two looking at photos from similar aged motors on the SOS main site and it'll start to make sense.

Jon