Shaft length - 40 Plus

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

skipper20

Shaft length - 40 Plus

Post by skipper20 »

OK, I'll try my question from a different angle - what's the driveshaft length for a so-called "standard" shaft 40 Plus? TIA,

Bill in Seattle
fleetingcontact
Re: Shaft length - 40 Plus

Post by fleetingcontact »

Hi Bill

To be fair, the answers to the questions you have asked are easily found, but the lack of response you have received just goes to show that not all Brits are as friendly as is popularly imagined. The boat you describe would seem to be unsuitable for a featherweight. I seem to remember from somewhere a promotional pic of a featherweight being used with a small inflatable. But 'try it and see' seems to be the best way. Here's a data sheet I copied from the main site just now, which I hope answers some of your questions - good luck.
spec sheet.jpg
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I think the Poms are glued to the edge of their seats watching the Ashes potentially slipping away.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hugz wrote:I think the Poms are glued to the edge of their seats watching the Ashes potentially slipping away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/cricke ... atch=41089

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

fleetingcontact wrote:Hi Bill

To be fair, the answers to the questions you have asked are easily found, but the lack of response you have received just goes to show that not all Brits are as friendly as is popularly imagined.
That is somewhat unfair as the local time in the UK would be when Kippers and Slippers were a tad more important.

Agree?

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Thanks for your input but it just dawned on me that instead of anguishing over shaft length I can just unbolt the transom bracket and remount it a few inches lower to get the desired shaft length. Problem solved!

Bill in Seattle
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Best to use a hose clamp and a bit of bicycle inner tube or similar to stop it sliding down.... Clamp above the transom mount.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

That General Characteristics comparison sheet is nice but I haven't been able to find the original on the main site. The print in the copy you sent is too small and fuzzy for me to read. Where should I be looking? Thanks!

Bill in Seattle
fleetingcontact

Hi Bill

On the main site, choose 'Range of British Seagull Models', then select 'Forty/Centuries'. You'll see the sheet I copied immediately, click it to enlarge. Or, right-click the image in the post and choose 'save image as' then open it with Windows picture viewer. I expect this will be the default application anyway.

Also, I forgot to add that the most suitable outboard for you boat is probably a 40+, with a clutch if you can find one, or a Century/Silver Century of you need a bit extra push, standard shaft is best, but a longshaft item would work if you use a collar as Hugz described. If you simply tighten the clamp you won't be able to steer!

Martin.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

fleetingcontact wrote:

Also, I forgot to add that the most suitable outboard for you boat is probably a 40+, with a clutch if you can find one,

Martin.
I would also recommend a FPC, i have a nice one myself. Love it to bits as its very practical on my 8FT dinghy. They are light too!

Jacob
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

fleetingcontact wrote:Hi Bill

On the main site, choose 'Range of British Seagull Models', then select 'Forty/Centuries'. You'll see the sheet I copied immediately, click it to enlarge. Or, right-click the image in the post and choose 'save image as' then open it with Windows picture viewer. I expect this will be the default application anyway.

Also, I forgot to add that the most suitable outboard for you boat is probably a 40+, with a clutch if you can find one, or a Century/Silver Century of you need a bit extra push, standard shaft is best, but a longshaft item would work if you use a collar as Hugz described. If you simply tighten the clamp you won't be able to steer!

Martin.
I found the spec sheet per your directions. It printed out crystal clear. Thanks!

Here in the States there aren't that many Seagulls for sale especially on the west coast. More so on the east coast especially in the New England states. Must be the "England" in New England! Anyway, I'm attracted by the SG's simplicity and ruggedness. I do have a line on a 40+ w/o clutch which hasn't been run in 21 years according to the seller. From his photos it looks extra clean. He says it has good compression and the fuel tank was drained before putting it in storage. It's a standard shaft. It would be nice if it were a long shaft but I think it would work on my 450 lb 12' SF Bay Pelican sailboat's 20" transom if I were to drop the transom's outboard bracket mounting plate 2-3". That's easily doable. Only problem is it's a full day's drive and an expensive ferry ride to and from his place. His asking price is reasonable but the trip cost would make it a very expensive motor. Comments anyone?

Bill in Seattle P.S Who are the "Poms" and the "Ashes"?
fleetingcontact

You would spend more on an evening with 'Goodtimes' Gloria and all you would have afterwards would be a happy memory. Only you can decide.

'Pom'

- short for 'Pommie' - mildly derogatory Australian term for an English person. From the French 'pommes frites' meaning 'English fries' which are referred to in the colonies as 'French Fries'.

'The Ashes'

summat to do with cricket
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

We believe Pohm means Prisoner of Her or His Majesty, which is how many of the first immigrants got there & they were English.

We find this title as offensive as the New Zealanders find Kiwi or the Australians Aussie, quite proud of it!

I'm a Pom!!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

I was told (by my Aussie Relatives) that it was spelled POME, but pronounced "Pommie" which originally stood for Prisoner Of Mother England (As most of the first Colonists were) :lol:

As to The Ashes, Bill...A Looooong time ago, when England were still a 'World Power' a team of Aussies came over, and beat us at a game of Cricket. Some wag described it as "The death of English Cricket" and to prove the point, burnt one of the stumps and placed the ashes of said stump in a small urn. People jumped on board, and held a Cricket Competition, where the winners got the plaudits of 'winning the ashes' for a year. Thus it became an Annual Competition, held alternately in England then Australia, so no-one would have Home advantage.
Something of a little quirk, is that the original Ashes stay in their display cabinet in England, and the holders never get to hold them!
fleetingcontact

Cricket:

Originally conceived as a therapy for the mentally ill, it is now classified as a cruel and unusual punishment under the terms of the Geneva Convention. For further information, please read my book, 'How My Goldfish Developed Autism: A Warning'.