Post by seagull101 »

Keith.P

Re: FVP and LS

Post by Keith.P »

Look like two early forty's and an FV.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Its a FV,LS and a featherweight, the one that looks like an LS has a LS cylinder head, FV also looks to have a featherweight gearbox.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

AS per thread, FVP and LS.
I always thought that an LS had a clamp that holds the drive tube to the crank case, maybe I'm missing something.
I own three or four little forty's, so I know the difference between an FV, FVP.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

I know very little about these little forty's, so please educate me, What is the difference between an FV and a FVP?
You may also be right about the LS or early forty.

Jacob
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Its as simple as an FV has a small or minus gearbox and FVP has a large or plus gearbox, I don't always get it right just from a picture, I have spare FV prob and box around.
Plus I would have expected to see brass tillers on anything early and a metal fuel pipe on an LS as well as FV/P and have holes in the the gearbox not slots.
Pictured my rough LS and some props, FVP left and LS right pictured, an FV would have a three blade as per FVP style but with a minus box so it would be smaller.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Got it! Thanks for that.

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, Keith, as I am sure that you know all LSs had the drive shaft tube clamped into the crankcase. As indeed all the F, FV, FVP, LS and LM.
The other end of the drive shaft tube, where it locates into the pump housing changed from being screwed in to a clamp bolt being used around serial number very approx. 24500
There is a lateish FV there and I suspect possibly an SJM and an SJP, but I am not certain.

Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I have 3 LS's, 1 early one (with screw type pumphousing) and 2 later ones (with pinch bolt attachment to the pumphousing)
I also have an FV.
All 4 of my motors have a brass tiller, HOWEVER the only motor with a metal fuel pipe is my FV.

Have a closer look at Jeremy's "little 40" list on the main site and it will become a lot clearer as for dates and things.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I stated my point, I don't need to read data.