Seagull backflushing.................

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Navy Bob

Seagull backflushing.................

Post by Navy Bob »

I note within John's pearls of wisdom, is an interesting mention of backflushing our little poppets, with a cautionary word referring to the possibility of getting wet.

Suggestion if I may, especially relating to the 'getting wet' bit, there seem to be two preventative choices:

Get the Wife to do it ( already equipped with an apron), or -

Attach to the open end of a standard garden hosepipe, using a suitable jubilee clip, one of those conical plastic airline adaptors more usually used to inflate fenders etc.. Do it up really tight, to take up the hose section radial spare, and possibly warm the open end in some hot water first. The cone end fits a treat into the water outlet hole in the head, and if you remember to turn the motor so that the intake slots face away from you, no water will impinge upon your person.

Tried with complete success this weekend on my two cherubs.

Navy Bob.
Hugz

Re: Seagull backflushing.................

Post by Hugz »

Welcome Bob. Good to have you with us. I grew up in a Navy family (RN). Can't say I've ever worried about getting wet but then again always warm downunder.

Lets see some pics of your cherubs....
Navy Bob

Post by Navy Bob »

Hello Hugz,

Thankyou for your kind welcome. Pictures you shall have, as soon as both dinghies are restored to a clean and seamanlike state ( currently replacing the gunwhale cappings, in mahogany - and oak breasthooks. Both engines are looking better now after winter storage, although when I put the Featherweight on our bed, with it's head between the pillows, and half-covered with the quilt, Herself didn't say so.

Navy time was '64-'72, Air Mech.
931207_519606164765171_1455557695_n.jpg
931207_519606164765171_1455557695_n.jpg
Sometimes, though, other temptations interrupt.

Will be in touch with pictures.

Every Good Wish,

Bob
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Fleet Air Arm?

These bedridden gulls are hard work.

Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

OMG! HUGZ! What about Health and Safety? A Vaper is preferable to a Pipe these days! :shock:
Navy Bob

Post by Navy Bob »

Hi Hugz,

Love the picture ! Did you get gear oil on the sheet too ? Sense of humour can be so under-appreciated sometimes, although She's played second fiddle to various mechanical treasures for near 22 years now, so her'll do.

Yep, guilty as charged. Fleet Air Arm. Airframe and engine mechanic. Swordfish, Hunter, Meteor, Whirlwind (mk 3 and 7), Wessex 5, Seaking 1. After completing post-engagement RN Reserve time, transferred to the TA (they only wanted me for my Navy mountain leader's ticket, and promised to uprate my canoeing ticket too). Clewed up an Army Mountain Leader, Army Sea Canoeing Instructor and rifle range controller. Couldn't march for toffee though, and having to accept Her Majesty's taste in haircuts was irksome.

For the privilege of wearing Navy rig for twelve years, I am thankful. If I'm to be castigated for donning khaki for the following twenty, then I can only say that, like most sins, 'twas great fun.

But now, in retirement, I grow my hair as long as I please. A NAAFI Rating to the last !

Kind Regards,

Bob.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yes l remember the naafi store as a naval brat at HMS Terror, Singapore. I think it was in a back of a lorry.
My first memories was of my old man flying Fairy Gannets at Culdrose, Helston. He then went on to flying the Wessex and was ship based on HMS Protector which mainly patrolled Antartica. He died a few years ago and while on his death bed he wanted me to organise a flyover for his funeral ha ha!

Incidentally l asked him if he could recall if the Seagull motor was used by the Navy and he told me, in no uncertain terms, that it was far to underpowered to be considered by the RN.

Being an ex Navy chap you would appreciate a coppertop WW2 seagull. Built from 1942 to 46. Lots of brass and copper and colloquially known as a naval motor. Engine numbers starts with SD####.

Good to see a spanner savvy new member and mechanic to boot ☺
Navy Bob

Post by Navy Bob »

Oh, hats off to your Father; I think the Gannets had moved to Brawdy by the time I joined Culdrose (I don't think the two occurrences were connected).
Not only did I spend the bulk of my 'Pusser' time based at Culdrose ( '66-'72), but was at Simbang in Singapore for the first six months of '68, with 848 sqdn. on Wessex 5s. During the latter half of '68, I was aircrew winchman on the same type, before finally accepting the need for responsibility and doing a promotion course.

I've no recall of any mention of the RN's use of outboards at all. If the 60's Navy was ought to go by, I would imagine the WW2 Navy was way above using such modernistic contraptions when bodies with oars were available.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you.

Bob.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Sounds as though we just missed you having left Culdrose in '64 to go to Simbang and left there in '67 to come to Oz. Dad was involved in the Borneo war which I think had a huge negative affect on him. He left the RN shortly after. I think a lot of it is still hush hush. He went on to fly the chopper in TV series "Skippy". About a kangaroo being clever. Not sure if it was shown elsewhere in the world.

Have you ever seen a stamp like this on Navy machinery? I was wondering if the crown signified RN. It is a bit different to the normal C.I.E.S.S. skeg stamp. I like your observation about bodied oars over motors.

Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Being an ex Navy chap you would appreciate a coppertop WW2 seagull. Built from 1942 to 46. Lots of brass and copper and colloquially known as a naval motor. Engine numbers starts with SD####.
Naughty Hugo... where are the facts to back this "Naval" myth up?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hence I say "known as" . It is good to see they are being more commonly referred to as "copper tops". An ongoing myth unfortunately.
Navy Bob

Post by Navy Bob »

I find your comment relating to the mystery skeg markings interesting. So far as I know, the crown, which appears to be a King's crown, may not necessarily signify naval pedigree. Back as far as I remember (which, contrary to oft-stated belief among my so-called friends, was slightly after Jesus was a corporal) the broad arrow was the principal sign of MoD supply, for all Services.
Beyond that, I fear, and in this matter if no other, I have all the usefulness of an Army officer with a map.

Every Good Wish

Bob.
Navy Bob

Re:pics as promised................

Post by Navy Bob »

Hi Hugz,

As promised, pics of my Cherubs, mounted at last on their respective Poppets, all alongside our Big Poppet (39ft Broads Cruiser).

Every Good Wish,

Bob.
Attachments
seagulls.jpg
seagull.jpg
seagull 2.jpg
12 footer.jpg
8 footer#.jpg
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

What a delightful scene. Thank you for sharing.

Reminds me of:
"They are discussing nautical things and life in general when Rat is heard to utter, Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter."

Do you live on your narrow boat? Is that what it is called?
Navy Bob

Post by Navy Bob »

Hi Hugz,
Thankyou for your comments. Yep, we like it here, two miles from any road with white lining down the middle, half a mile from the nearest conurbation - a village of some thirty souls; and with our nearest neighbours being Kingfisher, Otter, Kestrel, Buzzard, Blue, Great and Long-tail Tit, Robin and Cormorant.
About six years ago, Herself and I experienced somewhat life-changing illness, and we felt we were in God's waiting room. We determined to sell the house and move aboard the boat we hadn't used for too long, and spend retirement doing our thing rather than staring at someone else's front garden. We should have done it years ago
Meet Big Poppet
Kind regards
Bob.
Attachments
our Boat!.jpg
our Boat!.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 471 times