Owners of Australian Riptide Outboards - Call to Action

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: Owners of Australian Riptide Outboards - Call to Action

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Hugz,

I think that's a fair assumption to make, the Fisherman was the most common/popular of all Riptide models.

Thus far I have serial numbers for 8 Riptide Fisherman outboards on record, and know of several others for which I am yet to collect serial numbers. Those belong to;

Hugz x 1
AusOB_Collector x 1
Collector Inspector x at least 2 but I suspect more
Notav8 x 2
Chair (from The Board) x 1
Jonmac (from Vintage Mowers) x 1

And there have been several others on Ebay and Gumtree that I've not bothered to pursue for serial number information.

The second most common (I suspect) would be the Boatman for which I have collected 6 serial numbers. Fisherman Deluxe x 2, Sportsman x 3 and Sea Scout x 1.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I see on Trove (government data base) that the Sydney powerhouse museum has a fisherman and the Sydney Marintime Museum had one a few years ago though that might be one and the same. Next time I'm visiting I'll see if l can get info even if only a photo.

https://collection.maas.museum/object/212998

Also: https://collection.maas.museum/object/213341
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Both of those Riptides are very nice indeed.

If you click on 'More info' you can see when they were donated to the museum and by whom.

Fisherman - Donated by W. Woods in 1983. The name rings some bells, possibly an employee of the Riptide Outboard Motor Company but I will need to dig our my notes.

Sportsman - Donated Barry J Sheltrum in 1983. Son of Leonard Fredrick Sheltrum, founder of the Riptide Outboard Motor Company

As for ratings for the Fisherman and Fisherman Deluxe, the brochure pictured below states 4 b.h.p for both at 3000rpm. All other engine details are the same also.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Great brochure!!!

Here is my other motor. It is a runner.

59/6039 A Westcott Hazell motor then.
riptide engine number (1).jpg
The tank doesn't have those triangular legs/rests that earlier ones have. Presumably people were more responsible by then.
riptide engine number (2).jpg
Did any of the Fishermen's have decals?
riptide engine number (3).jpg
Note the pull out knurled knob to lock the motor in an up tilt position. My earlier one doesn't have that.
riptide engine number (4).jpg
If you are a visitor and wish to see the pics, come along for the ride and register on this forum and all shall be revealed.
Last edited by Hugz on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I've started identifying the differences between the two motors and the glaringly obvious one is the magneto and pull cord sheaf.

The earlier one is a larger diameter and deeper with Riptide on the sheaf.
riptide mag.jpg
Whilst the later ('59) is somewhat smaller and more humble, close to a seagull size.
Riptide mag '59.jpg
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Good work Hugo,

Notice the difference in the tank mounting brackets?

Decals, yes. I'm sure I have seen an image somewhere that shows there were decals applied to the tank ends of at least some riptide fisherman outboards.

Will post more when I get a chance.

May have a small gift for you also. Let me work on that aye.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Here is the owners manual. (left click to enlarge)
3.5 HP?
Riptide Brochure 0.JPG
Looks like the earlier Riptide with the deeper and wider Magneto and earlier tank mount. Later tank mount has prongs to protect tank while earlier ones have triangles on the tank itself.
Riptide Brochure 1.JPG
Riptide Brochure 2.JPG
Riptide Brochure 3.JPG
Ha!! Amal carb was standard.
Riptide Brochure 4.JPG
Last edited by Hugz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Cont'd. If any visitors have info on Riptides please join the forum and share. Most appreciated!
Riptide Brochure 5.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Interesting!

I have a slightly different version of the manual, also early and sent to me by B if I remember correctly.

Image of the Fisherman outboard on page 3 clearly shows decal on the tank end/s. Decal comprises fishing boat (presumably same as that pictured on the front cover of the manual) with the Riptide name over the top.

Also in that manual the carburettor is listed as an AMAL - Single Lever Control yet I have seen numerous Boatman, Fisherman and Sportsman outboards with the SKC carby fitted.

Do know that Riptide wanted to be all Australian and moved from a 'bought in' ignition system to their own during those early years. Wander if the same desire drove the move to an SKC carburettor? Are SKC carbies Australian made???????

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Here you go:

Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

I have been on this forum previously, but have had to change my user name, as I couldn't access my account.
I have some Riptides, and was wondering, when the tank mounts changed from steel, to cast alloy. Maybe after 1959?
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Ozzmotorz wrote:I have been on this forum previously, but have had to change my user name, as I couldn't access my account.
I have some Riptides, and was wondering, when the tank mounts changed from steel, to cast alloy. Maybe after 1959?
Cheers

That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping would become available through the gathering of serial numbers and corresponding photos.

As for the brackets and considering only the fisherman, we know of at there were at least three types. Steel and welded to the tank, steel and strapped to the tank and aluminium.

If you have fisherman outboards with varying tank bracket styles, please post photos along with the corresponding serial number. All pre 59 should have an F prefix. All from 59, should have a 59 prefix. The change in serial number format seems to have occurred about the same time ownership transferred from Sheltrum's Riptide Outboard Company to Westcott Hazel.

Hugo's above fisherman comprises aluminium tank brackets and appears to be of WH manufacture.

Regards,
S
Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

OK, Cool. I will get some pics, and some serial numbers, over the next few days. From memory , I have a couple with the alloy tank bracket, and one with the steel bracket, and tank straps.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Guys, I need you help to determine what the last 4 digits in the Westcott Hazell serial number format represent.

Originally I suspected they were simply a sequence number indicating total number of Riptide Outboards made to that point, but my latest purchase has me questioning that logic. Another possibility is that it is a sequence number reflecting number of outboards made in a given year, but I cant imagine that there were so many were made.

Here are some numbers in the WH format I have on file.

Boatman: 59 5083, 59 6048, 60 5014, 60 5040
Fisherman: 59 6022, 59 6039, 60 6085, 61 6022
Fisherman Deluxe: None with the WH serial number format.
Sportsman: 59 8056, 59 8021, 60 8020

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
S
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Just thinking out loud...

Take Fisherman 59 6022 for instance.
Maybe the '60' refers to the hp, i.e. 6hp (in the same way Mercury did it in the 60's) and maybe the '22' means it is the 22nd motor made that year?

Spiro, I have two Fishermans, I'll send you the serial #s next time I'm in the shed

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter