BMB Outboard

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: BMB Outboard

Post by AusAnzani »

Sorry to take this back to Australian again, however for those interested the adverts below (look closely) confirm that Triton moved from a one piece barrel and head to a two piece barrel with removable head ie along with the Swordfish.

Also interesting to note is that the more recent Triton (second advert) features a recoil starter.

Regards,
s
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Charles uk wrote:Thanks for that Ferrier, so I got the cooling method completely wrong, it shows how dangerous a little knowledge can be!

I assume Bruce's parts picture shows a cooling system the same as a Swordfish.
Charles

Swordfish
Gear Box.jpg
Triton
Triton 3.jpg
And this is what I meant earlier about the red tank one having the same setup as a Sea Sprite..... This is the actual gearbox I got for Mike from Steve Green so that he could finish this one engine correctly. It is the first water cooled exhaust model. The cooling was done by a "Weir System" within the muffler. I do not have a pic of that sorry.
Image069.jpg
Regards

BnC
[/color][/b]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

AusAnzani wrote:Sorry to take this back to Australian again, however for those interested the adverts below (look closely) confirm that Triton moved from a one piece barrel and head to a two piece barrel with removable head ie along with the Swordfish.

Also interesting to note is that the more recent Triton (second advert) features a recoil starter.

Regards,
s
Very 8) S

There was a recoil tank on Ebay about 6 years ago........now I know what the mountings were for.

Cheers

BnC
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I WANT TO RAID YOUR SHED/S :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, yes very Seasprite...ish. Not sure if you noticed the Seasprite barrel in the background?????

I'm sure at least one of my Swordfish's has a water cooled pick up like that one. If not, it will be that I have seen one before and it has stuck in my mind.

Will have to check.

Regards,
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Also , I noticed the finned head on the motor. Similar to the first Riptide ??
Cheers
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That paperwork is real treasure Bruce thanks!

So Swordfish = donut, Triton = impellor.

Well at least we know the contents of Britannia House didn't end up with the scrap man.

It's starting to look like Triton bought everything left when Britannia/BMB shut down in 57 & loaded it all in a big boat, as that lower unit with the water scoop could have been taken from Britannia's stores just before the war.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles uk wrote:That paperwork is real treasure Bruce thanks!

So Swordfish = donut, Triton = impellor.

Well at least we know the contents of Britannia House didn't end up with the scrap man.

It's starting to look like Triton bought everything left when Britannia/BMB shut down in 57 & loaded it all in a big boat, as that lower unit with the water scoop could have been taken from Britannia's stores just before the war.
Charles, I suspect an arrangement was established well before '57 and am confident that will be proven through adverts.

Think about it this way. If ERL purchased the lot at the end of Britannia production, it is unlikely there would ever have been a Triton outboard fitted with one piece barrel and head.

The reference to '57 also confuses me a little ie if you look further back in the thread you'll note the sales docket for Bruce's Swordfish is dated '63. How is this possible?

Regards,
S
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That really depends what was on the boat when they unloaded it, I'm probably wrong about the date on the scooped lower unit , I've since learned that box was used into the 50's.

The tanks your adds show on the Tritons are a very expensive items to tool up for in a fairly small market place. I've just looked up what Peter Hunn had to say about them, he seems to support what I'm saying.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You may be correct Charles, and I will happily do the research to confirm one way or the other.

I have established the adverts I posted are from 1958 and 1960 respectively. A remaining cause for confusion now is the sales docket Bruce has for his Swordfish dated 1963. Is it possible that an outboard was sold new 6 years after the company that produced it closed? I do not know!

As I understand it, a large portion of the research for the Australian section of the Old Outboard Book came from Steve Green, member of the Westralian chapter of the AOMCI and a gentleman that we are in contact with on a regular basis, a friend.

Any research done is limited to 'point in time'. In other words the information found and provided is the best that was available at a specific time. More has since been found and confirmed through adverts, company registers, from talking to people who ran the businesses/operations etc and as such the Book serves as a guide only. A fair portion of the Australian content does need updating. You may consider this a big statement, but I can back it up with printed adverts, articles and other facts. That said, even what we have now is still based on point in time. Another 12 months and additional information will change what we know again.

Regards,
S
Collector Inspector

This is really interesting and a great thread.....we are all learning things and collaborating to make sense of "Stuff"......

I am hunting for the 63 sales docket so I can scan and post here. Sadly it only my memory of it and notes in the Swordfish notebook that I have referred to.

I found a pic I took of part of the paperwork 16/04/2007. While not the actual docket it refreshes my mem that there is one.

DSC03826.JPG
A scan of the docket posted here will be puddings proof of whatever the info will lead to aye.

Cheers

BnC[/color][/b]
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Are you sure the docket is not dated 1953 B? That would be more in line with the information provided by Charles, which by the way is further supported here http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/British_Mo ... cturing_Co

The other possibility is raised in my above post ie was there so many of these outboards produced that they were still available for sale so many years after the manufacturer shut up shop?

All interesting stuff.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Does anyone know the date of the add with prices on in £ s d & how many weeks of National Average Income was it for that year?
It might have stayed in the dealers for a long time if it was Bugatti pricing!

In 1932 a Marston OA was 13 weeks of UK N.A.I. so it's no surprise they didn't sell many, translate that into todays money, scary!
Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

As an update, I recently found the correct front cover, and tiller arm, for my ensign outboard.
Hopefully it will be an easy restoration
Attachments
30E99071-35D0-4ED2-93BC-31310390B3EA.jpeg
5ADEE518-3819-452A-91E7-F13ACFC0D8B2.jpeg