Little Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Little Forty

Post by Oyster 49 »

It should just slide out after the retaining screw is removed. It the jet holder. You might have to tap it out with a piece of wood dowel or similar and a mallet.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thanks again Oyster, it came out with a few taps of a rubber mallet, I was trying to push it through the wrong way
I have cleaned it and cleaned it and will clean it all again before I put it back together

1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Looks like your going the full hog steven keep it up....

you spelt Sturgeon wrong  ......
You do know iv been asked to stand at the border and take your brown trout money so join that other one if you wish. AS stated on another topic it might be better with 2 knobs to balance things out...... :lol: :evil:
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Yes Tam I have plenty of time right now
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

I'd be checking out the needle size whilst I was in there should that carb slider not be brass (just thinking out loud) over to you keith. ....
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I just checked and you are right Tam the one in this photo is from a newer Carb, when I swapped carbs I left the original slider attached to the throttle cable, the one in the picture is from my 86 featherweight :oops:
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Carb is now cleaned and it's now back together, the Magneto base complete with coil, (still no luck freeing the screws) is in the oven on a low heat, I read that on here, now I can get to the points I can double check the gaps then tomorrow I am following the advice from Tam and others and will put a drill on the top and give it a good 10 minute spin
Fingers crossed :shock:
PS is using the 2 stroke oil in the piston chamber while it spins a good idea or should I be using a lighter oil for that?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Only do this if you have to! with the carb fitted & 10 : 1 in the fuel tank & the fuel turned on, remove plug.

Most experienced two stroke guys wouldn't do this if you paid them!

What does anyone expect it to achieve?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Most experienced two stroke guys wouldn't do this if you paid them!

What
does anyone expect it to achieve? Been there done that got the tee shirt and awe that and yes it worked
Why i don't know done it in 3 different oocasions now let's see who else has tried it with success don't ask me to explain it just ask yourself are you willing to try it if so make sure it's well lubed can't make it any worse it will either kill it our cure it in theory it's dead before you started now let me fire a spanner into the works I've never tried it with an electric drill always been an air drill now i will sit on the fence and wait for the gods to call. ..... :evil:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Some do it that way, some don't, I have a good idea why it works with a drill, but I have never needed to do it that way.
plus I don't want to over tighten the flywheel or have a cordless with me every time I take a motor on the river, if I can not get a motor to start after two or three pulls, I know something's not right.
I suppose the question is, would you use a drill to start any other more modern outboard.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I think the magnets are fine, they feel good and strong to me, I have spark, not a good one but a spark and after I changed the HT lead I am getting the spark at the plug, Charles says that means the coil isn't completely dead, I wondered if another reason I can't get a better one is because I don't seem to be able to pull the cord fast enough to generate a good enough charge, spark plug in place, the flywheel stops almost as soon as the cord pulls off, spark plug out it spins for a while, as you all know I don't know anything about engines and I wondered my problem is that I don't have a clean piston,something might be sticking somewhere? so putting oil in might free it, a call from a Tam mentioned the drill trick and I saw this on faq http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq2.html#spark and thought I should try to get this coil working before I fork out £70 for a replacement so first I am going to put it all back together, check and double check the gaps, fresh petrol and proper seagull oil mixed, and pull it until it hurts :lol:
failing all that I will try the drill. I left the electrics in the oven to see if that did any good, I know the Carb is now clean, I know the plug is fine.
I can report that as long as the Curry I make for Tea tomorrow is a hot one she shouldn't find out about her ovens other use :roll:
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Keith.P wrote:Some do it that way, some don't, I have a good idea why it works with a drill, but I have never needed to do it that way.
plus I don't want to over tighten the flywheel or have a cordless with me every time I take a motor on the river, if I can not get a motor to start after two or three pulls, I know something's not right.
I suppose the question is, would you use a drill to start any other more modern outboard.
Hi Keith, I wasn't wanting to start the engine with a drill, I imagine if it was to start I would be in trouble with a spinning black and decker attached to the top nut :shock: , just as a way to improve the coil (plug out)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

We had an electronic wizzkid study this for us several years ago, his conclusions were, spinning with a drill,

will not fix a faulty coil
will not fix a defective condenser
will not remagnetise flywheel magnets

the only fault it will possibly repair is dirty points, the arcing across the points when spinning with the drill might well clean them a bit.

But shouldn't you have cleaned & set them, before trying to start it?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

I don't seem to be able to pull the cord fast enough to generate a good enough charge, spark plug in place, the flywheel stops almost as soon as the cord pulls off, spark plug out it spins for a while, hi Steve in my book that means you have good compression if you think there ismybe something causing resistance then why not try it power head only just thinking out loud. ...
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Charles

re your comment about how spinning the flywheel with an electric drill won't help recharge/ "fix" the flywheel magnets, if it has been proven to not have an effect then should John be notified (if he hasn't been already) and have the part in the FAQ's on the website where it says it may remedy bad flywheel magnets... be taken down as it would seem to be misleading information?

Cheers
BP
Last edited by AusOB_Collector on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter